Waiting for this baby

by singlemomseeking on April 5, 2012

My midwife says that my pregnant body is like a plane hovering over the airport, not ready to land yet.

When the contractions first started on Friday night, we all got so excited. My sweet man rushed out to pack up the car and make sure the baby seat was installed corrected. But when he came into the bedroom and tried to take my exercise ball from me, I said, “No! Not yet, I’m still using this!”

The contractions were still mild, without any clear pattern, and although my first baby had come into the world so fast, this time, my gut told me, It’s not quite time yet.

In the morning, my father called for his daily check in, and when he heard that my contractions had started, it set off a family phone tree. Everyone wanted “the news.” I turned the music up loudly so I wouldn’t hear that darn phone ring and ring. I felt like a watched pot waiting to boil.

Sure enough, the contractions stopped. All week, though, the contractions have continued to come every other night for hours. By daylight, they stop, like a game of “Red light, green light.”

I’ve learned that there’s actually a word for this: “prodromal labor.” It’s not false labor, as some people have called it, because the contractions are much stronger and longer than Braxton Hicks. They feel real!

My body must be revving up. Every time the contractions stop, I ask for courage and patience. I’ve looked at myself in the mirror and wondered I’m hanging onto any fears: of change, of the unknown, of the new. It’s my turn to let go.

I’m ready for you, little one, whenever you decide it’s time.

Photo by Johan Cloete

{ 1 trackback }

The day I gave birth | Single Mom Seeking
April 16, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Ashlea April 6, 2012 at 9:21 am

I had prodromal labor with the first one. And people love to tell you it is false labor and laugh and say things like “just wait til the REAL thing hits” but as you say, this is actually the stop and go version of the “real” thing. Those of us who have done it without drugs know better than to confuse the two: prodromal labor is not braxton hicks!! Hang in there!!!!! Courage and patience to you. We all happily await the big day!

singlemomseeking April 6, 2012 at 9:39 am

Oh, Ashlea, you get it! These are much more than “Hicks”! They rush through me, I’m ready…. Then I get up and they’re gone.

Nancy April 6, 2012 at 12:21 pm

-:¦:-•:♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥:•-:¦:- Sweet Sweet Baby, she’ll be here soon … I am excited for your new family to begin -:¦:-•:♥Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ♥:•-:¦:-

BigLittleWolf April 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Holding my breath for you! (I remember those Braxton Hicks, and I remember the heavy-duty pre-ready-to-rock-n-roll contractions. Soon!!!)

Sending hugs…

Monique April 9, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Keep baking, baby, keep baking!

Glenda April 10, 2012 at 11:21 am

Thinking of you and your baby girl. Praying for a smooth delivery.

T April 12, 2012 at 12:13 pm

I’ve been waiting for some sort of announcement. Apparently, she’s coming in style. :)

Love you. I know you’re just so anxious to meet your sweet girl!

jeanie April 13, 2012 at 10:27 pm

My goodness it has been an age since I have done my blog rounds!! Married?! Pregnant?! No doubt with baby now, because that was a week ago… Congratulations and best of luck!!!