Getting ready to break ground

by singlemomseeking on June 7, 2011

When the building department told us that we needed to erect “story poles” before getting our plans approved, I’d pictured a ceremony that went something like this:

We’d raise some poles in our backyard, as sticks of sage burned in the wind. Then, we’d take turns making blessings for our future home — and maybe we’d recite a poem or two along the way. After all, the words “story poles” brought to mind images of Native American traditions. Sure, I was ready to let the ceremonies begin!

But no. Story poles are literally wooden stakes that would be installed in our yard to “tell” the future story of what our home would look like. These stakes are actually tools that planners and contractors study to help them plan and make decisions. So, when folks walk around the yard and see these tall poles, they can get an idea of width, height, scale, views, and compatibility with our neighbors.

Apparently, most people who are planning additions hire a contractor to erect these long, unwieldy poles in their yards, which are very heavy and wobbly. But not Chris. My husband (pictured below) insisted on handling his own poles, thank you very much:

So, the madness is about to begin. Everyone has warned me that building an addition is going to be a challenge for our new family. We might drive each other crazy, squeezed into 700 square feet together.We’ll be constantly be compromising. We’ll certainly disagree. Everything will get dusty, as guys with hammers walk through our home every day for months and months.

I’m pumped, actually. Here’s to laying the foundation for our future.

Do tell: What big undertakings are YOU approaching right now?… Are you ready? Are you excited?

P.S. BIG Congrats to the winner of the Samsung SH100 wifi-camera: Ryan!

{ 1 trackback }

Lessons in home remodeling | Single Mom Seeking
September 1, 2011 at 9:02 pm

T June 7, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Hahaha! Of course, leave it to Thunderpants to handle his own poles!

I am excited about a new venture after shutting down my old blog. Hope to leap forward and a soft, comforting net appear!

Love you.

rachael June 7, 2011 at 7:24 pm

oh goodness. good luck! if you can make it 700 square feet without living in new york, you can get through anything :)

Ryan June 8, 2011 at 8:40 am

SO excited about the camera! Thanks!

You have to respect a man who wants to handle his own poles! :)

ISBN June 8, 2011 at 9:09 am

Yikes, prepare for the worst! Me and the hubby renovated a house while we weren’t even living there and there are things we still cannot speak about ever again (the tub in the bathroom is backwards. I spilled a gallon of white paint down the stairs onto the DARK new wood floor.)
etc. Just keep reminding each other (and keep in mind) that people in close quarters may act a bit like spiders in close quarters. They tend to bite each other’s heads off for space. :)

Um, on that note…GOOD LUCK!! We are SOOOO glad we did it, and if we got through that? We can get through ANYTHING. You too!

Star June 12, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I’d love to be interviewed :) I’m always happy to help other single moms with info and advice the way that the single moms I found on the internet when I first became a single mom helped me! I didn’t know any single moms in real life at the time and found everything about it through new “friends” on the web. I’d love to be a source of info. for other single moms trying to figure out how to find the right guy and to gain the courage to re-marry :) Even though I’m SO happy, it’s not like there weren’t bumps along the way!

Naked Girl in a Dress June 13, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Good luck with your big project! How exciting for you three. I hope you continue to share pictures with us.

My big projects all involve home improvement. I promised myself I would not take on anything until the divorce was final. That was two weeks ago. Now I am having new carpet laid, deck railing replaced, some painting done and a few other things.

Me? I am SO excited! It’s the start of my new life. I can’t wait.

singlemomseeking June 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm

@Naked Girl in a Dress: Bravo for waiting until you closed one chapter… before opening the next. (I have a habit of taking on more than I can chew at once — boy, that’s a lot of cliches!)
Here’s to your improved home.

avigail74 June 14, 2011 at 4:03 pm

Gardening! The house that I moved in 1.5 y ago has quite a large backyard~ all filled with weeds. I hired someone to do a very small portion of it. I learned to grow vegetables~ my mom helped me. I’m in the process of creating a plot of herbs! But, it’s still a large project that overwhelms me at times!

singlemomseeking June 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Oh, @Avigail, I dream of a vegetable garden. I think it’s going to need to be in pots for now, since the machines will be going through the yard. I’ve got to wait. Send photos!

rachael June 14, 2011 at 10:02 pm

hey, how did you and thunderpants meet?

singlemomseeking June 15, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Great Q @rachael: Years ago, I turned down a mutual friend’s offer to set us up. I was done with set ups. Apparently — though he claims NOT to remember — he also turned down this same friend’s offer to meet me.

Well, this friend became an author in 2009, and she invited both of us to her book launch party. That’s where we met. The post is here: http://singlemomseeking.com/blog/2009/03/i-met-someone/

This same sweet friend is also the woman who married us last fall!

Anne-Marie June 16, 2011 at 4:02 am

Holy moley! TP has my eternal respect! Good luck with the addition!