Don’t be afraid to get lost

by singlemomseeking on May 26, 2011

When I recently cycled my first century, do you know what one of my biggest fears was?

Getting lost.

Chris will tell you that I don’t have the best sense of direction (and that’s saying it nicely). I’ve been lost many times in my life. And I’m not just talking about taking a wrong turn. Or, getting off the freeway one exit too late. (I’ve done that plenty.) I’ve felt very alone. I’ve wondered when I’d finally get home.

Samsung was waiting for me at the start of my century ride, on the first leg of their their “Coast to Coast” road trip. They showed up at 6:45 a.m., without getting lost. This camera team has been traveling from LA to New York City, handing their SH100 digital camera from person to person during all 3,600 miles of the journey. Why? To talk to people on the Internet NOT on the Internet.

When I’ve been lost, my Internet friends NOT on the Internet are the ones who’ve kept me grounded. I’ve picked up the phone many times to call Jim (whom I miss so much) and sweet T, below:

I met these two bloggers online (they’re not the only amazing bloggers I’ve met), and they’ve helped me find my way again. Fortunately, all those spray-painted arrows on the asphalt along the century ride kept me cycling in the right direction on my ride — I didn’t get lost.

So, Samsung is hosting a contest on my blog this week: they’re giving away a new wi-fi enabled SH100 digital camera to ONE of you. Here’s just a taste of some of this camera’s cool settings:

• WiFi Camera
  • 14 Effective Megapixels
  • 26mm Samsung Lens
  • 5x Optical Zoom
  • 3” LCD Touch Screen
  • HD Movie
  • Valued at $199.99

So, how do you enter the contest?

1. First, “LIKE” my photos on Facebook (thank you!) to give me the chance to win a trip to NYC:

2. Then, come back and comment here. Tell me:

If you were lost, which friend would YOU want to be lost with?… Why?

(It might be a real life friend — or a blogger you’ve always wanted to meet.)

If you’d like to see more about the Samsung adventure, watch this inspirational documentary, Don’t Be Afraid to Get Lost:

This contest is open through midnight PST on June 3. Winner to be chosen by Random.org.

Getting ready to break ground | Single Mom Seeking
June 7, 2011 at 12:21 pm
Back in the saddle | Single Mom Seeking
June 15, 2012 at 10:41 am

Canadian Bald Guy May 26, 2011 at 2:18 am

I’ve got some online blogger friends that I think would want to get lost with (Random Esquire & T being two of them), however I don’t think I could really choose anybody other than Sunshine…my girlfriend of 2 1/2 years that I initially met online.

She’s the only person who I fully trust to confide in, laugh with, and share all my secrets with. If I were totally lost, being with her would make the time fly by and not seem so bad.

I completely hope she’s the next “Mrs. CBG”, but she’s also my best friend…so I couldn’t choose anybody but her.

Crazy Computer Dad May 26, 2011 at 4:03 am

I’ve got a friend from high school that I generally call if I’m driving and I need traffic or route guidance and can’t get it from my phone. However, if I really get lost, I’m out of cell range…and generally out of people range, so the only person that would even come with me on a trip like that is my wife, SGG. We’ve started plenty of trips without any idea of where we would be staying…and sometime where we were going. She is brilliantly resourceful and always upbeat about an adventure. Whether we would have to stop and camp or grab a hotel room, she is up for it. Both of us are so excited about being places we’ve never been before that getting lost is usually part of the plan. SGG loves maps and usually she is in the passenger seat with a set of directions or a large unfolded map finding where we are or picking places she wants to go. :-) I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Ryan May 26, 2011 at 7:21 am

Definitely my best friend! We have been friends for 27 years, since we were in elementary school. She is everything that I am not, and I am everything that she is not. We compliment each other, never argue, respect each others opinions and we accept our differences. I would be lost without her and would rather be lost with her!

Legal Editor Mom May 26, 2011 at 7:33 am

I have an amazing fiance who drives and navigates his way cross country for a living, but besides that I love him to death and love being with him as much as possible; so he’s my obvious choice!

Kevin May 26, 2011 at 9:23 am

I’d love to get lost with my 3-year-old son. He asks soooo many questions and is so entertaining.

AdamV May 26, 2011 at 11:46 am

I would chose my friend James. He’s trained in wilderness survival, wilderness first-aid, and wilderness search & rescue. He’d be my best chance to become un-lost. Plus, he is a great guy to hang out with…

Jennifer May 26, 2011 at 10:00 pm

From the bloggersphere…I would chose you and Dr. Leah. Cause this past week you guys have been my guiding light.

From my regular world, I would chose my son cause if I didn’t have him I’d probably panic about him not being there. I’m a scaredy cat, but interestingly the one thing I do not fear is getting lost. Somehow I always manage to find my way. So if anything I’d rather him be by my side.

j May 27, 2011 at 12:15 am

I have a member of my family (she is married to a blood relative) who has supported me every step of my journey. Without going into details here of the mayhem I endured while pregnant, she listened through my tears, lifted me up and ultimately was able to celebrate my successes. I didn’t have to reach out. She always found me and helped me help myself and find my way.

Heather May 27, 2011 at 5:38 am

To be honest I don’t get lost all that often. I am usually pretty good about getting where I need to be…..saying that I would want my friend David with me. Not only is he a good friend and godfather to my daughter he keeps me grounded when I need to be grounded. When I got married in 90 I lost touch with him and when I got divorced a few years later I looked him up. We picked our friendship back up and he supported me through everything I was going through. I didn’t always like what he had to say but it did make me think and we got me back on track. When I decided to adopt my daughter me was right there with me supporting me. He even takes her camping (which I hate)!!! So if I was lost and needed someone with me he is the one that I would have alone for the ride.

avigail74 May 27, 2011 at 5:38 am

My friend Julia~ because she’ not afraid to get lost. She always reminds me that it’s not the destination~ it’s the journey.

Mommy to the Monsters May 27, 2011 at 7:02 am

If you were lost, which friend would YOU want to be lost with?…

My friend whom I call Mr. Incredible…

Why? we always have fun just doing the simplest thing. I know he would turn it into an adventure..

rachael g June 4, 2011 at 6:28 pm

ah, your book was the first book i found about single moms. thanks for that. i got it in janurary after not dating for 4 years. i promptly joined match.com (because of your book) and after some hideous men, i met one. he was amazing. we dated 4 months when he decided he wasn’t sure about living with a kid. ah, his loss. so i made a blog. thanks :)

singlemomseeking June 4, 2011 at 8:19 pm

@Rachael: I’m honored! And I get it. (Things quickly fizzled out with the guy at the end of my book). Going to check out your blog now.