That word “husband”

by singlemomseeking on November 3, 2010

I am still not used to calling him “my husband” — or even introducing him to other people as such. Perhaps, it’s going to take some time for me to get used to saying that word.

He, on the other hand, seems to enjoy saying “wife” whenever he gets the chance! He teases me for introducing him by saying things like: “Please meet my guy.”

Maybe I still can’t believe this is happening. This as in this relationship, this patience I’ve never known, this man who can read any glimpse of disappointment and ask me, “What’s on your mind, love?”

Is this for real? Yes. Yes. No doubt, that label “Lucky Guy” — this is what the sweet parking attendant called him when I’d said we were dating — has had its time. (Although he has grown attached to the nickname). I’d love to give him a new name on this blog. Hmmmm… “DH,” aka “dear husband,” just isn’t me — and it’s already being used proficiently by 1000s of other married bloggers.

My kid came up with this nickname for him: Thunderpants”….

And privately, I call him variations of “hot.”

If you have any suggestions, I’m all ears. In fact, let’s have a Name-My-Husband book giveaway contest!

Submit your suggestion in the comments, and I’ll mail the winner a signed copy of my book, Single Mom Seeking.

Here’s a clue to show you what kind I’m-game-for-anything guy his is: my daughter and her friend dressed up as Smurfs for Halloween — and she’d asked him to be “Papa Smurf.” He made his own costume (and, yes, I went along as Smurfette!)

Thank you! I can’t wait to hear what you come up with!

Contest is open through Saturday, Nov. 20. I’ll pick my favorite name at midnight PST…. here’s to your early holiday present, from me to you!

{ 1 trackback }

Thunderpants | Single Mom Seeking
November 21, 2010 at 2:03 am

Eathan November 3, 2010 at 8:07 pm

Incase I didn’t say it before.. Congrats to you and the Lucky Guy. I’ll admit that as I get older, I have a hard time with the same thing. Of course it wasn’t “husband”, it’s girlfriend for me. :)

Either way.. Congrats. So does this mean you will rebrand yourself, from SMS??

singlemomseeking November 20, 2010 at 11:26 am

Ah, yes, @Eathan, rebranding is the magic word around here these days… any suggestions?

Anne-Marie November 4, 2010 at 12:43 am

I don’t see how anyone can beat your kid’s “Thunderpants.”

Jenn November 4, 2010 at 4:35 am

I’m not remarried yet, but the time is ticking down, and that is one bridge we have managed to cross. My daughter calls my fiancé “Bear”…it’s a nickname she gave him herself when she was 3 years old and it stuck. So, I use that name for him on my blog, and more importantly she doesn’t have to say “My mom’s new boyfriend” or “my soon-to-be-stepdad” when referring to him. Whew.

I vote for Thunderpants or TP for short. In honor of your kids, but also cause it makes me laugh :) . My second choice is Papa Smurf….cause now I will always think of that picture when you refer to him.
.-= Jenn´s last blog ..What’s Calm-Ass Energy and how can I get some =-.

Crazy computer dad November 4, 2010 at 7:14 am

I like papa smurf, papa spouse. Bff? Married guy. Hebrew for husband or spouse? Covalent bond? Hydrogen bond? Minion or master? Other half? Have to think about it some more when I have a little time
.-= Crazy computer dad´s last blog ..We dressed up as hikers for Halloween =-.

T November 4, 2010 at 9:46 am

Yeah, you can’t beat Thunderpants or Papa Smurf. I LOVE the pic!!

Ya’ll are so damn cute. Love to you both!
.-= T´s last blog ..Last post Let us be thankful =-.

QTMama November 4, 2010 at 12:02 pm

Dude. Thunderpants it is. Seriously.
.-= QTMama´s last blog ..I’m Just Sayin … =-.

Nich November 5, 2010 at 11:52 pm

Rachel just went over all the blogs on the wedding and congrats, everything looked lovely and the dress was beautiful. Enjoy your new life as a wife.

I am dating now and it is going great!! A little strange having a kind and sincere man in my life. He hasn’t meet my son yet. It’s in the works to go out to dinner at Red Robin, my son’s choice.
Any advice from you or the readers wold be great, this is new for me and I am taking it slow.
I am so happy for you Rachel.

Cannonball November 7, 2010 at 7:20 am

Where I live, many women have a nickname for their husbands. Idiot. ;)

I think that Thunderpants is awesome. As a man, I would personally love it if my girl introduced me as her Love Beast. Either that or at least avoid names like snuggle muffin or shnookums.

Good luck!

singlemomseeking November 7, 2010 at 9:30 am

@Cannonball: On, no, you’re right: “snuggle muffin” or “shnookums” just would not work….

avigail74 November 7, 2010 at 7:21 am

Papa Smurf?
.-= avigail74´s last blog ..The Four Day Trip =-.

Mike November 7, 2010 at 10:13 am

LMAO great costumes.
.-= Mike´s last blog ..Odds &amp Ends =-.

Desiree November 7, 2010 at 3:49 pm
Diana November 9, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Hello! Well, I knew a couple that were recently married (the wife had children from a previous marriage) and they called her “new” husband – Odie. For the longest, I didn’t understand why the children called him that… One day, I asked and they said that Odie represented O.D. as in Other Dad. I thought that was really cute!

singlemomseeking November 9, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Diana: That is TOO cute re: “O.D.”
Thanks for that one!

Calluna November 11, 2010 at 7:10 am

How about “the Lucky Husband”?

Savored Life November 26, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I’ve always been fond of “hubs”… I’m a casual kinda girl.
.-= Savored Life´s last blog ..The One =-.

How Does She Do It Mom December 9, 2010 at 9:34 am

First and foremost CONGRATS to you!! I knew the wedding was on the cusp of coming up….time passes too fast or it has been too long since I have read your blog. :(

“Thunderpants” is awesome!! lol! I am with you on the whole what do you call him thing…my fiancée and I are not married yet and as a matter of fact we don’t have any immediate plans to marry either…so most of the time I don’t know what to call him.

Fiancée can only last so long…boyfriend is not good enough and technically husband isn’t accurate…I call him “my man” or “my guy” a lot..or sometimes just “HIM” lol!

PS: Having gone from single mom to committed relationship I know that it is very interesting (great for me) just curious how the transition is going for you :)
.-= How Does She Do It Mom´s last blog ..This Film Will Change Your Life… =-.