What you do for a living

by singlemomseeking on September 2, 2010

At first glance, my resume probably makes me look like I’ve been all over the map. Literally, I guess I have. I’ve worked on both coasts of the country. I’ve been employed for years in large corporations, then freelanced out of my home, and most recently I went back to working for clients on site.

If you look more closely, perhaps one thread seems to hold my career path together: communication.

I spent years as a newspaper reporter and then went into book publishing after becoming a mom. These days, I’ve been working in digital media on the management side. (If you’ve read my blog for a while, then you know that I keep my clients’ identities off this site.) No matter how you look at it, though, it’s still about communicating to an audience.

Although I’ve had my share of bad bosses and office drama, I can genuinely say: I love what I do. (Great, right? Well, going into the writing field isn’t as lucrative as say, being a lawyer or a doctor — unless you’re a New York Times best seller?) Single motherhood has definitely changed my career habits — mostly in positive ways (you, too?). Pre-baby, you would have found me going out with my coworkers occasionally for a beer after a long day in the office. Motherhood has made me super-focused: buckling down at work, plugging away on deadlines, and then skirting out quickly for a school pick up, soccer practice, followed by kick boxing and cooking dinner.

So, I can feel my career turning a corner soon. Although I don’t have all the details just yet, I’m listening to my instincts and aiming for both fulfilling and fruitful. I’m imagining the kind of environment where I can use my strengths and keep it real, while still building communities.

On that note, what do YOU do for a living?

Do you feel passionate about your job?

{ 1 trackback }

Tweets that mention What you do for a living | Single Mom Seeking -- Topsy.com
September 2, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Mike September 3, 2010 at 6:49 am

I’m a chiropractor (Love it). I see my girlfriend’s resume and if you don’t know the story behind it you would think she’s a job hopper. However once you hear it then it all makes sense.
.-= Mike´s last blog ..Both Ends =-.

Honey September 3, 2010 at 9:20 am

I manage graduate programs at a large state university. LOVE IT.

T September 3, 2010 at 9:26 am

Resumes never tell the whole story. I would imagine people question how I went from a software systems engineer to working for a chiropractor.

I still work in IT but had a technical lobotomy. It helps me to be a better mom when I’m not on call or rebuilding network servers at all hours of the night. I do miss the challenge of it… but my kids and new puppy challenge me enough. ;)

Can’t wait to hear where your career takes you next!
.-= T´s last blog ..What if I see this differently =-.

Eathan September 3, 2010 at 10:23 am

I was never a big fan of the resume’. They aren’t a true reflection of who you are.

I’m a blogger.. Design/consulting/and Iswirl’er. :)

SDMktg September 3, 2010 at 10:40 am

Seeing as I’ve been a professional tailgater to some extent for the last 7 years I definitely LOVE my job. Marketing has always been my passion and there are so many aspects to it. I also love writing and creating. I’m facing a career move myself and as a single dad with no safety net it is definitely “interesting”. My current position has given me tremendous flexible for being present with my kids and I am very much trying to maintain that moving forward.

Beth September 4, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I work one-on-one with developmentally disabled adults. I am very passionate about my job, and I am continuing my education so that I can work in special needs for the public school district to hopefully improve their program at the elementary level where it is majorly lacking.
.-= Beth´s last blog ..Heres a change =-.

Jennifer September 4, 2010 at 5:47 pm

My resume would absolutely show me as a job hopper before having my son because I was. Now I’m a transcriptionist and I have my own home office. I fell into this work by accident after my son was born thinking it was temporary, and I recently realized it’s become a career that I love and am building my own client base. The best part is the flexibility it offers now that my son has started school 1/2 day. I can volunteer in his class and still get all my work done by its deadline. Perfect.
.-= Jennifer´s last blog ..Changes Good Ones =-.

Restless Mama September 4, 2010 at 7:23 pm

Excited to hear what new adventure lies ahead for you in your career.

I’ve always been a bit of a workaholic in whatever job I’ve had. Now, I’m in public relations and LOVE it! It’s enabled me to work from home and spend more time with my Mancub and do something I’m passionate about. It’s not often that you can pack up your bags and leave town for a month and still work. Love, love, LOVE my job.
.-= Restless Mama´s last blog ..How it went =-.

Heather September 4, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Up until a year and half ago I worked fulltime for a major retail company here on the west coast. I worked for the corp. offices but out in the field in the stores. When my company was sold to another I was laid off. Which I really didn’t mind since I didn’t want to work for the new company. I do wish it had happened at a better time, since finding that new position had been hard. I have found that I was able to keep my daughter in preschool part day which really got her ready for kindergarten which started a few weeks ago. She loves it and that time in preschool has paid off since she seems to have a leg up on a lot of the other kids in her class. I found out that I don’t know how I got everything done when I was working full time, keeping up the house, being a mom and finding time for myself. I am a single parent and still have NO IDEA how I did it all! So each day I take it one at a time and somehow find time to get it all done since finding a job is a full time job in it’s self!

Crazy Computer Dad September 5, 2010 at 6:18 am

Computer Network Engineering, Network Security, and Computer Forensics. “Follow your bliss”, Joseph Campbell. Ever since being exposed to a TRS80 computer around 1981-82 or so in a math class, I have been enamored with computers. I used to spend hours in Radio Shacks programming on their computers before we got one in our home back then. Movies like “Wargames” really inspired me to learn about them and how computers communicate. I even got to have a one on one 20-30 minute conversation with the woman who helped build and program the world’s first computer, Grace Hopper, when I was in high school. Although I went in the Navy and was a nuclear reactor operator on subs for six years, and it didn’t have anything to do with computers at all, I went in to the computer field when I got out and never looked back. I usually change jobs when I reach the ceiling in a particular place, or when I had to move because I couldn’t find the help I needed for my son where I was. Currently I work with the government and military because they spend the most on network security and for good reason, but I’ve been contemplating doing consulting work in the commercial communities again. Either way, I love what I do, and I have learned to find and pick jobs that don’t have me traveling all over and don’t need me coming in at 3am to fix stuff. :-) I have followed my bliss and it has served me well.
.-= Crazy Computer Dad´s last blog ..The List =-.

Liv September 5, 2010 at 4:55 pm

My resume is pretty boring — I’ve had the same job in academia for 15 years. Boring, but this has served me well as a single mom in that I’ve ‘put in my time’ and can now work shorter days (thank goodness!).
.-= Liv´s last blog ..Re-thinking Happiness =-.

Kat Wilder September 7, 2010 at 5:56 am

I have always felt passionate about my, which is on the creative side of things — art, music, and words. I am the kind of person who would literally die if I could not create. That said, I, too, will be re-creating myself soon, into what I don’t know. I have a few ideas I’m putting energy into, a few feelers. As scary as that feels sometimes, change and new challenges are good.

Wishing you the best, SMS
.-= Kat Wilder´s last blog ..You look good … for your age =-.

Char September 7, 2010 at 3:25 pm

Hello,
I’m a virtual Assistant and I guess you can say I too fell into this by accident since its not something I ever thought I’d be doing. After 15 years working in administration. I couldn’t be happier working in the comfort of my own home office, assisting entrepreneurs and other small businesses with their administrative tasks.
I’m loving it!

Stacyonthecouch September 22, 2010 at 7:47 am

This will make me sound boring, but I am passionate about my job, one of the very few that I know who can honestly say “I love my job”. I’m an oil and gas accountant. Joint Venture Analyst to be exact, nothing to do with taxes and finance, more operations accounting. I work on the 40th floor of a building owned by one of the biggest oil and gas companies in Canada downtown overlooking the river. I’ve been doing this for over 10 years and have been lucky enough to stay employed with family friendly companies. Juggling work and single parenting has been made a lot easier because of my job. I actually just started a class at the university last night and I’m thrilled to be gaining more knowledge in my area. I hope to be one of those parents here at work whose high school and college aged kids come to work for the summer and then get into the industry as well.
.-= Stacyonthecouch´s last blog ..mobile upload Monday =-.

Gauri October 21, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Until quitting to be a full time mom I was working as a development manager (aka fundraiser) at Zen Hospice – a Buddhist organisation providing end-of-life care for the terminally ill, and support and education for their friends, family and care-takers. I also volunteered at the hospice itself. The work is beautiful, moving, heart-opening. I hope to go back as a volunteer as soon as my breastfeeding schedule lets up.

Good luck with your re-invention.
.-= Gauri´s last blog ..Sick of being Sick =-.