Cupcakes, vows, and all you need is love

by singlemomseeking on September 14, 2010

Our wedding countdown is on. In less than two weeks, we’ll be surrounded by family and friends under oak trees, as our insightful mutual friend, Ronnie — the one who tried to set us up years ago – officially marries us.

Last night, I was re-reading an email from Ronnie, dated two weeks after I’d met my guy at her book launch party. She was responding to my gushing confession. I really liked her cute friend! She had written back:

I just want you to know that I’m 100 percent for this relationship working out, because you both are extraordinary people and deserve each other.

I’m so grateful to her. Heck, I am feeling grateful to everyone right now: my family, my friends, all of you.  I’m so thankful to my future in-laws for letting us throw this love fest in their backyard… with more than 100 adults and 25 (!) kids. It seems like a long time ago when I wrote on this blog about my childhood friend who invited me — but not my daughter — to her wedding. I threw a small tantrum back then, but I now see why some folks do go for kid-free weddings.

Well, our wedding will be kid-plenty. In true kid-fashion, we’re going for cupcakes over a traditional wedding cake. And in addition to the home-brewed beer (one of which we are calling “Matrimony IPA”), there’s going to be an alcohol-free slushy machine.

In the meantime, I’ve tried to steal away (imagine five minutes in between taking a shower and packing a school lunch this morning) to finish my vows. We’ve decided not to share our vows with each other — well, until it’s time.

A green wedding, mostly | Single Mom Seeking
September 21, 2010 at 10:38 pm
Rachel got married today | Singlemommyhood.com
September 24, 2010 at 11:03 pm
Wedding replay | Single Mom Seeking
September 27, 2010 at 6:46 pm
Everyone keeps asking | Single Mom Seeking
May 23, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Sharon Sommerhalter September 14, 2010 at 6:09 pm

I get all teary-eyed (in a good way) when I read your posts. It’s just so wonderful hearing about a fellow single-mom who’s found her partner. Gives me hope. Cupcakes and kids are the bestest…have a beautiful wedding.

Single Mom Seeking September 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Thanks Sharon! I sometimes can’t believe it…
.-= Single Mom Seeking´s last blog ..Cupcakes- vows- and all you need is love =-.

T September 14, 2010 at 7:36 pm

I’m soooo excited for you and your daughter.

And yes, written vows will leave everyone, including the bride and groom, in tears!
.-= T´s last blog ..But is it REALLY that simple =-.

Soccer Mom September 14, 2010 at 8:16 pm

I get re-married to my first love in one month and one day! I’m getting a little nervous, but so excited. Our wedding will be very kid-centric as well, and I think that’s awesome. We’re not writing our own vows, but I have chosen special music to walk down the aisle (the theme to Princess Bride–our favorite movie) and we’re dancing to a special song (I’ll Catch You) but that’s about all of the traditional we’ll be doing. I think you’re making it a “family” wedding versus couple wedding–and I think it helps everyone feel included and it makes it special. I’ll be thinking of you–sending extremely happy vibes your way!
.-= Soccer Mom´s last blog ..My Double =-.

Single Mom Seeking September 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Woo eee @Soccer Mom! I can’t wait to hear about your wedding!

Susan September 15, 2010 at 4:17 am

I’m so happy for you, Rachel (and Mae)! This is truly an exciting time in your life and you deserve every happiness. And good weather for an outdoor wedding, but then again your in CA, so hopefully that won’t be a problem. Please do post a photo or 2 after the celebration!

Susan September 15, 2010 at 4:17 am

oops – “you’re” in CA, not “your”. Sorry, can’t help but correct myself :)
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Taking a bow =-.

chele September 15, 2010 at 5:41 am

I am so happy for you and your family. I’m sure it will be a beautiful ceremony.
.-= chele´s last blog ..Meet Me on Monday =-.

Baby September 15, 2010 at 11:17 am

Congratulations! We are so happy for you guys!

Mama Dharma September 16, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Sending a big, huge mazel tov your way. You deserve all the happiness in the world and I’m glad you have found love. Wishing you all the very best. (You make me believe that it can happen for me, too!!)
.-= Mama Dharma´s last blog ..“Mistakes are just opportunities to learn” =-.

Jack September 17, 2010 at 3:04 pm

My six year-old daughter has already told me that she wants to have cupcakes at her wedding. Certainly not ready for that, but… Anyway mazal tov on the upcoming festivities.
.-= Jack´s last blog ..Visions of Paradise =-.

SDMktg September 17, 2010 at 10:56 pm

All I can think is you should have a porter instead of IPA. Big, malty and a little sweet instead of bitter. ;) I think home brew is a really cool idea. You probably feel extra pressure because you’re a writer. I know I would but that’s how you know it will be great. I hope your wedding is a beautiful start to an incredible new chapter in your life.

Baby September 18, 2010 at 10:59 am

It is always good to hear great stories of new progresses in peoples life.

Naked Girl in a Dress September 19, 2010 at 5:47 am

I am so happy for you! I have enjoyed reading about your relationship and everything leading up to the actual wedding day. I can’t wait for details about your special day.

He really is a lucky guy.
.-= Naked Girl in a Dress´s last blog ..Finding My Way- Another Adventure Begins =-.

Liv September 19, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Very exciting! Always good to hear about single moms really finding great guys. Best wishes!
.-= Liv´s last blog ..Re-thinking Happiness =-.

GLSD September 20, 2010 at 11:36 am

Exciting! So happy for you 3! This summer I went to a wedding on a lake with tons of kids and a total of 100 guests and they too had cupcakes instead of a wedding cake and they were delish. Can’t wait to hear all about the wedding and maybe see a few pictures. The best of happiness to you!