3 tips to having a green wedding

by singlemomseeking on September 21, 2010

During the months of wedding planning, we argued about A LOT of details. For instance, my man wanted to cook for 125 guests on his own… and I wanted to hire an easy going, fun caterer. He wanted to hire an accordion player for live music, and I wanted to play our favorite, hand-picked “Top 40″ on the iPad.

Amazingly, however, our “big picture vision” for our wedding was NOT something we argued about. We both wanted:

– To get married outdoors, somewhere in the Bay Area

– To be surrounded by our family and friends

– To dance under the stars

– To celebrate with cupcakes instead of a wedding cake

We also wanted to be green. After all, we both love the outdoors. And we live in Northern California. But what does having a green wedding really mean?

1. Go for paperless wedding invitations. All right, we didn’t exactly follow this advice. My fiance’s sister offered to design invitations — lovely! — but all of our guests RSVPed electronically on our wedding website.

2. Recycle and compost during the ceremony. Because we recycle and compost at home already,  almost everything in our wedding will be recyclable and compostable, including all of our plates and utensils from Eco-Products, which are made from “corn plastic” (a material derived from starchy plants like U.S. grown corn, which will go right into the compost bin).

3. Buy local. When my fiance said last month that he wanted to brew beer by himself, I thought he was crazy. But he did it. Here’s how he labeled the first batch:

(Um, I’m not so sure about that beer bottles are compostable, hon?)

P.S. I can’t wait to tell you about our caterer… but I’ll keep that hush-hush for now. Any guesses?

Nicki September 22, 2010 at 5:51 am

So glad that you are getting ready for the big day. I haven’t been keeping up with you like I should, too busy working on mine. :)
You are beating me to the altar, girl! (Hopefully, not by much…)

Big hugs! (Great pic, btw…)
.-= Nicki´s last blog ..Working towards a Shine-tastic opportunity… =-.

Swati September 22, 2010 at 6:11 am

Oh my gosh – will your photo together be on the bottle – I LOVE IT!! Very exciting and perfectly customized for both of you!

Swati
.-= Swati´s last blog ..Kissing Kids- Fainting Mommies =-.

Stacyonthecouch September 22, 2010 at 7:23 am

Well this was a pleasant pleasant surprise. Congratulations.

I will admit that I haven’t stopped in to read in quite a while, obviously since before March 2010. I started reading your blog years back when I removed my daughters dad from my life (or tried to anyway … he still drunk dials me pitiful booty call attempts), but I just haven’t kept up, no excuses, and I’m sorry.

I am absolutely thrilled for you. Everything I’ve read in the past half hour has made me so happy and even brought me to tears. I am just coming out of a three year relationship and I am terribly broken hearted. Your posts have given me hope and I will be going back to read everything I’ve missed out on. Congratulations again.
.-= Stacyonthecouch´s last blog ..mobile upload Monday =-.

singlemomseeking September 22, 2010 at 9:16 am

Thanks @Stacyonthecouch… I need to catch up with YOU, too!

T September 22, 2010 at 9:05 am

How freakin’ cool is that?!? Love it!

This catering mystery is really intriguing me…
.-= T´s last blog ..Our little extensions =-.

Kate September 22, 2010 at 11:24 pm

I really enjoyed your post and it sounds like you have taken a lot of steps to go green. I bet you can make that mystery caterer make a few eco-substitutions as well. One thing you didn’t mention is a registry. We recently launched a green wedding gift registry with free carbon neutral shipping at the Green Bride Guide, if you are thinking about upgrading any of your home goods. We also have a page on was to have your wedding give back – by creating a charity registry, recycling and donating. I hope you will find the site to be a useful resource on your journey. Good luck and keep up the great blogging! Kate

singlemomseeking September 23, 2010 at 7:38 am

@Kate: We don’t have a registry, which seems to have surprised some folks… We already have so much STUFF between us that we’re simply asking guests to come with love (oh, and we have asked guest to bring their own cameras to take photos!)

Ewokmama September 23, 2010 at 8:39 am

We didn’t have a registry either. Not PC with a second wedding (according to the PC gurus) and we are full up on stuff anyway. People bought us stuff anyway but the gifts were really thoughtful things that we wouldn’t have put on a registry anyway.
.-= Ewokmama´s last blog ..What Love Is =-.

Nich September 23, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Great ideas on going green and love the picture of the bottle, it’s nice to see a piece of LG’s face:)

Nich September 23, 2010 at 9:25 pm

BTW Rachel I saw your article under an interview of Denise Richardson in the Mom magazine, Mom360.com at the dr office today. way to go

Karma September 24, 2010 at 1:58 pm

hey ray ray! so excited for your big day!!! congrats. hope your wedding is full of love! a cute idea i did for my wedding is i had a tray of disposable camareas with me and my husbands name on them. Too cute!

Kelly September 25, 2010 at 1:40 pm

We recently got married and also felt that we had more than enough ‘stuff’ in our home. But guests kept asking about giving some sort of gift, and because we wanted to make it easy on them, and also on ourselves getting things we really didn’t need, we set up an experiential registry at DepositaGift.com I’d totally check it out if I were you — definitely green b/c you completely avoid shipping and wrapping paper and gas/time on returns. It’s really neat and our guests had really positive things to say.

MissGreyDay September 26, 2010 at 4:31 pm

Catering the affair is……..Subway? (That would be SO money if you did) ;)