Finding The Muse

by singlemomseeking on August 15, 2010

It all started with a cross-country trip to BlogHer in New York as my daughter and fiance, aka Chris, embarrassed me in the hotel lobby together, joking with each other as another woman walked by:

“Do you think she’s a Blogher?”

Women come to BlogHer for many different reasons — to learn, to network, to expand their community — and one of my goals was to meet at least a few single mom bloggers whom I’ve been following online. Believe me, it was not that easy to find these amazing women amongst 2,400+ attendees, but I did get the chance to meet:

EwokMama, who’s getting married in September and shared some great frugal wedding tips with me.

Single Mama NYC, who shared a drink with me in the hotel lobby, chatting as if we’ve known each other for years.

Miss Grace, who handed me the mic during a Q and A session she helped moderate, and then sweetly whispered to tell me who she was.

Calliope, who shared her journey — in the midst of a crowded room at the Hilton — with Dr. Leah and me about being a choice mom.

After having been in workshops for 48 hours straight, I wanted to end our visit with a relaxing family night. RJ from Single Dad had told me about this very sweet Kimpton’s The Muse New York, because he took his older daughter here for her 16th birthday.

MUSE hotel

Located in the heart of the theater district and just blocks from Times Square, it was such a relaxing escape from the noise and heat.

Muse relax

I even managed to do a bit of yoga…thanks to the free mats they provide to guests.

Muse yoga

The staff here was SO helpful: as we were checking out of the hotel in order to catch a train to visit Aunt Marge, we got stuck in the wild Dominican Day Parade. The streets were blocked off, and cabs couldn’t get through. But this strong guy from The Muse not only carried our bags for a block, he also whistled the loudest whistle I’d ever heard and got a taxi to pull over. We offered to share a ride with another couple who was trying to get to Penn Station, and off we went.

Lastly, you must know that this little family vacation — unlike our trip last summer — was different. That’s because this time, I had a sleeping plan, which I stuck to. In other words, M. slept on the pull-out sofa… and Chris and I I had our own room.

Yep, this mama is growing up.

{ 1 trackback }

Tweets that mention Finding The Muse | Single Mom Seeking -- Topsy.com
August 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm

T August 15, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Hooray for the sleeping plan!! And that place sounds like fun. Dig you in your headstand!

Can’t wait to see you again!! Miss you guys!
.-= T´s last blog ..Eat Pray Love- A movie review in conversation =-.

Single Mama NYC August 16, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I absolutely LOVED spending time with you. You are as kind-hearted and genuine in person as you are in cyber space. I have only two wishes: that we could’ve had more time with each other when we had that drink, and that I could’ve met your daughter. Next time. ;-)
.-= Single Mama NYC´s last blog ..Sisterhood =-.

Ewokmama August 16, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I will always laugh when I remember that we both flew across the country to meet eachother. ;)

Miss Grace August 16, 2010 at 6:18 pm

It was great to meet you, however briefly, and I was bummed that we didn’t get a chance to connect more, but you know how crazy that all is.
.-= Miss Grace´s last blog ..You are who you choose to be- or whatever On writing- and writers- and whatnot =-.

avigail74 August 16, 2010 at 8:00 pm

You GO girl! Me SO proud!
.-= avigail74´s last blog ..The Four Day Trip =-.

Shannon August 18, 2010 at 9:41 am

Oh I’m so going next time…I live 5 hours from NYC and would have loved to have seen you. I was there to see Wicked with B in July and we stayed right in Times Square…B and Mae could have met too!
.-= Shannon´s last blog ..Ouch! =-.

Jenni August 21, 2010 at 4:23 pm

So glad that BlogHer went so well for you! Sounds like fun, and a nice hotel.

And kudos for the sleeping plan! And I’m glad it seemed to work well for you too. =)
.-= Jenni´s last blog ..I Am The Norm =-.

QTMama September 1, 2010 at 11:42 am

I love that you went to BlogHer! How very cool! I hope you had a blast there!

Good job on growing up, lady. ;)
.-= QTMama´s last blog ..Jipped I Feel Jipped =-.