Talking live about A Dad’s Point of View

by singlemomseeking on May 12, 2010

Since we’re talking about single parents who are getting remarried, it’s time for me to share a bit about Bruce Sallan, a single dad whom I first “met”  by email — and then via his Facebook page.

The Internet connected us. But when we talked the “old fashioned” way — on the phone, for more than an hour, not wanting to stop — I knew there was something about him. Our stories have quite a few parallels: his wife abandoned his kids (and him) when his two boys were young. He lives in California, too, and his boys are now teens. (Oh, and Bruce was a shining star in the movie producing world!)

Bruce was a solo single dad in his 40s when he decided to date again — that’s when he put his profile online. That’s also how Bruce met his love (pictured below in a photo he says he loves “with my wife ’cause it says so much..”). Congrats to those two, who got married in 2008.

Bruce

Bruce is also one of my fellow bloggers at MomLogic, where he writes “Just A Guy.” His column, “A Dad’s Point-of-View,” appears in over 75 newspapers and web-sites worldwide and covers single parenting, going through a divorce, dating as a single parent, step-parenting, dealing with teens (including drug and alcohol issues). He plans to talk a lot about teens online on Thursday — and he has a great line-up of guests, including:

• Wayne Levine of BetterMen.Org
  • “Teen Rap” with Pastor Drew Sams
  • And yours truly

When Bruce asked if I wanted to be a regular guest on this new radio show in Santa Barbara, I said, “Oh yeah!”

“The Bruce Sallan Show – A Dad’s Point-of-View” — goes live tomorrow (Thursday, May 13) at KZSB AM1290 Santa Barbara from 11:00 a.m. – noon, PST.

We’d LOVE to answer your calls! The theme of the show is “Social Media, Our Kids, and Us. I’ll be talking about social media, communication, and dating. Feel free to call in anytime during the hour.

I just might mention my texting-during-dating horror story — was when I was out with my former UPS man in NYC and he texted another woman right in front of me… I’d love to hear what you have to say! You always give me a lot to think about.

If you’re a single parent who’s dating, how do you communicate? By phone? IMing? Texting? Skyping? (Or, good old-fashioned face-to-face over coffee?)

Do you think about what your kids are picking up when they see you texting your boyfriend/girlfriend A LOT? What is this teaching them about communication? (Believe me, I’m guilty of this.)

You can call toll-free at (866) 564-1290 on Thursdays from 11 AM – noon PST.

(You can also listen online live HERE.)

Tweets that mention Talking live about A Dad’s Point of View | Single Mom Seeking -- Topsy.com
May 12, 2010 at 2:34 pm
Are teens losing their social skills? We’re worried | Singlemommyhood.com
May 17, 2010 at 3:05 am
What my father taught me about marriage | Singlemommyhood.com
June 17, 2010 at 3:03 am

T May 13, 2010 at 12:03 pm

Rascal and I communicate mostly through text. We’re long distance, though. And we text to stay in contact during the day. We also talk on the phone at least once, if not more during the day. My girls see it. Yes and I also wonder what I’m teaching them about communication. Then again, what am I teaching them about relationships when the last two I’ve been in have been long distance….

Don’t even get me started.

Good luck with the show!
.-= T´s last blog ..My sexuality, part 6 =-.

MC May 13, 2010 at 5:33 pm

MyBF sends me a brief but sweet email every morning –it’s waiting there when I get to work! He also stops by my office every day to see me, if he can catch me outside of a meeting (we work at the same corporation). Then every other night or so he calls in the evening or I call him—I guess I’m still old-fashioned enough to prefer a phone call and hearing his voice to text and email.

Single Mom Seeking May 13, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Ah, @MC! What an incredibly sweet BF!

Swati Bharteey May 14, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Rachel – that is AWESOME about the radio show in Santa Barbara (amazing little city that it is)!!!

I can’t believe a man sent a text to another woman while you were sitting there (ok, yes, I can….LOL! Those dogs don’t get it!)

Swati
.-= Swati Bharteey´s last blog ..Pitter-Patter Goes My Heart =-.

SDMktg May 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm

My GF and I are on the phone all the time. She’s the reason I got the A-list on my mobile phone. We also text quite a bit. The kids definitely notice now. Once in a while one of them will try to read over my shoulder as I type. That’s not always the best. We have to keep changing our code words for different stuff (like my ex) so they won’t figure it out. I hate earpieces so I use a speakerphone in the car and that has taken all of my friends and family some time to get used to as I really try hard to keep the vacabulary clean around the kids.

They use Skype a couple of times a week to talk to their mom. One important tip, when the call is over, make sure you exit Skype so the other person isn’t on the other end watching and listening.

singlemomseeking May 25, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Yikes @SDMktg, it sounds like you might have had an, um, embarrassing experience after leaving the Skype camera on?

SDMktg May 26, 2010 at 7:57 am

Not so much embarassing as unsettling. The kids left it on and after almost half an hour I happened to walk by to see their mom staring at the screen listening to everything going on in our home. Fortunately the camera wasn’t really pointed at anything but it felt like an intrusion to me anyway. Now I make sure I turn it off entirely. The same thing happened on the cell phone in my mom’s car when the kids called their mom and forgot to end the call when they were finished.