Here’s the big news

by singlemomseeking on March 20, 2010

“There’s something I want to tell you,” Chris is saying.

We are out for a rare night all to ourselves. First, we had gone to celebrate Depot Dad‘s birthday (yeah!). Then, we had dinner at a small, sweet French restaurant in San Francisco. Thinking back, something had seemed off about LG at the restaurant. He was being weird — a bit uptight maybe? But I’d waved it off. It had been a long week at work for both of us.

So now, we are walking through Union Square, passing by some rowdy teens in the shivery coolness.

That’s when he stops right next to the garbage cans.”I’ve wanted to ask you this for a long time,” he says, reaching out to put his hands on my hips. “I want to join your family.”

He’s crying. I hold onto him tightly, and he holds me tighter. Either something is very wrong, or…. He lets go. He’s pulling something from his coat pocket. He’s still crying, and in between, he’s telling me that he has known for a long time that he wants to be with me.

So, when he asks me to marry him, what do you think I say?

I hardly look at the ring. I just want to look at him — and squeeze him. I want to tell him how much I love him and how I want to BE with him.

“Are you sure?” he says.”Do you need some time to think about this?”

“I’M SURE! I’M SURE!” I blurt out.

That’s not all: he pulls something else out of his pocket. It’s a little box, and when he opens it, there’s the sweetest necklace for my daughter. That’s when I start to bawl.

Later, he tells me that he’d wanted to propose at the @Wsanfrancisco — the hotel bar where he’d kissed me for the first time, the same night we met. But that spot upstairs is now a loud, roped-off night club. In my mind, everything was just right.

And all I can think about now is:

Who knew that someday in the future this darling goofball…

My man

Would meet this funny kid….

Young R

….And fall in love?

We’re talking about getting married before 2010 ends (shriek!). We’ve already gone into party-planning mode — that goes for my daughter, too, who has already picked out her dress.

As you can tell, I’m bouncing, joyous, and just so happy. I’m really the lucky one.

As my little sister puts it: “You scored, Rach.“.

A man is not a plan | Singlemommyhood.com
March 20, 2010 at 2:02 am
Measuring | Single Mom Seeking
March 29, 2010 at 9:36 am
Tying the knot | Single Mom Seeking
April 15, 2010 at 1:35 pm
Tying the knot | Dating on Thoughtful Accessories
June 2, 2010 at 11:27 am
It all started at a book launch party | Single Mom Seeking
July 1, 2010 at 7:25 am
Ground, wrong | Single Mom Seeking
July 27, 2010 at 11:46 am
Snapshot: Are you still a single mom after you get remarried? | Single Mom Seeking
August 9, 2010 at 8:20 pm
Tent for three | Single Mom Seeking
September 7, 2010 at 3:45 pm
A green wedding, mostly | Single Mom Seeking
September 21, 2010 at 10:35 pm
Wedding replay | Single Mom Seeking
September 27, 2010 at 6:50 pm
Pregnant again | Single Mom Seeking
November 12, 2011 at 5:29 pm
The day I gave birth | Single Mom Seeking
April 17, 2012 at 8:25 am

Legal Editor Mom March 20, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Rachel,
This is fabulous! I am so very happy for you and wish you all the best.
xoxo

Single Soccer Mom March 20, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Your engagement story almost brought me to tears. What a beautiful way to propose. I love that he included your daughter and had a necklace for her! So sweet.

Congratulations to the three of you!
.-= Single Soccer Mom´s last blog ..It’s Not Who You Marry… =-.

Vanna March 20, 2010 at 11:45 pm

If i were the opposite sex, I would scream becaus that is how I am feeling. Congratulations. Also, I submitted your title to RFB&D. I think I left out the ISBN10 number. oh wait, I did.

Teresa ~ A Single Mom & a Teenaged Girl March 21, 2010 at 2:53 am

Oh Congratulations!!!! I am soooo thrilled that I stopped by and read this!!! Oh I love a good romance!!! Can’t wait to read about your upcoming wedding and omg, the necklace for your daughter!!! I so would have bawled too!!!! It sounds like you did wonderful picking this one!
.-= Teresa ~ A Single Mom & a Teenaged Girl´s last blog ..Getting To Know YOU Sunday – March 21, 2010 =-.

Single Mama NYC March 21, 2010 at 6:04 am

When he pulled out the necklace I cried. Congrats, Rachel. You and M deserve every happiness. Xoxo

Katherine SOLO dot MOM March 21, 2010 at 8:58 am

This truly is awesome news. Very happy for you. What a beautiful love story as this has unfolded before our eyes.

Thanks for sharing so much with us… we look forward to more details heading into the big day!
.-= Katherine SOLO dot MOM´s last blog ..Creating Bridges Over the Dinner Table +CONTEST =-.

Lovebabz March 21, 2010 at 9:24 am

(SCREAMING) THIS IS LIKE CHRISTMAS! OMG! I AM THRILLED THRILLED THRILLED! I know exactly what I am wearing (OK I am not actually coming to your wedding, but on the day you jump the broom (African American Slave code for getting married) I am going to dress up here and open a bottle of champagne and toast you ALL and post it to my blog! WOO-HOOOO!
(STILL SCREAMING)
.-= Lovebabz´s last blog ..DONE. NOW ONTO MY NEW REALITY! =-.

BigLittleWolf March 21, 2010 at 10:18 am

Wonderful news! And what an incredible way to put it – “to be a family.”

Congratulations!
.-= BigLittleWolf´s last blog ..Bad mood? Let’s bitch!! =-.

saint nobody March 21, 2010 at 11:49 am

congratulations, rachel!!! wishing you all good vibes on this next phase in life…

Nicki March 21, 2010 at 12:19 pm

Congratulations! Wow. We’re both getting married this year. This is big. So happy for you! Can’t wait to hear about your plans.
.-= Nicki´s last blog ..So very happy… =-.

Solo-Dad March 21, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Rachel – I’m so happy for you and for M, but mainly for LG. He’s getting a packaged deal that most guys would trade up for in a heartbeat. :o ) (We guys have to support one another!) Congratulations from LE and me. We both wish you every happiness.
.-= Solo-Dad´s last blog ..Groundhog Day Goal Assessments =-.

Solomon March 21, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I was just over @ Lovebabz and she posted about your wonderful news. So I thought I’d stop by to say ‘congratulations’, how wonderful, you sound like you’re very happy.

Best of luck!

Lovebabz March 21, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Oh and there is a whole blog post dedicated to YOU! ((HUGS))
.-= Lovebabz´s last blog ..DONE. NOW ONTO MY NEW REALITY! =-.

thewildmind March 21, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Wow! Wow! I just stopped over here because I was in Barnes & Noble trying to find your book, which they didn’t have! So, I dropped by to ask why not and read this absolutely fabulous post!

I’m so pleased for all you. I’m really impressed about the daughter’s necklace idea. You totally scored! Good on you!

And I have so many single mom questions to ask you! LOL.
.-= thewildmind´s last blog ..Sandra Bullock, Jesse James & Weightwatchers =-.

jen March 21, 2010 at 6:37 pm

That’s fantastic news. Congratulations.

MC March 21, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Congratulations!!!!!! So sweet and wonderful. Many best.

Mommy to the Monsters March 21, 2010 at 8:53 pm

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW So happy for you you!
.-= Mommy to the Monsters´s last blog ..The New Mommy =-.

Michele March 22, 2010 at 6:37 am

This is wonderful news. Congratulations and I wish you all the best.
.-= Michele´s last blog ..Il Giardino Ristorante =-.

Susan March 22, 2010 at 6:40 am

Rachel, I was so glad I guessed right on your big news. So happy for all 3 of you!

Susan
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Taking a bow =-.

singlemomseeking March 22, 2010 at 7:12 am

@Susan: You’re an inspiration for sure!! (To those who don’t know, Susan got remarried at the end of 2009 to an amazing guy.)

Bill March 22, 2010 at 6:56 am

Congrats Rachel! I’m so happy for the 3 of you.

Andrea March 22, 2010 at 9:17 am

Congratulations to all three of you! This is wonderful news and I’m so happy for the new family. :)
.-= Andrea´s last blog ..If Not Greed, Then What? or: what Darwinism never taught you =-.

Martini Mom March 22, 2010 at 10:02 am

Oh, excellent! I was hoping that this would be your news. Congratulations! I am so thrilled for you and your new family. YAY!!!
.-= Martini Mom´s last blog ..Inspiration for the over cautious =-.

IntrigueMe March 22, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Wow, congratulations! It sounds perfect. I hope you guys are very happy together!

P.S. This is my first time to your blog, what a way to kick it off!!
.-= IntrigueMe´s last blog ..The Love List #7: He is Respectful and Considerate =-.

GLSD March 22, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Rachel, Congratulations to the 3 of you! I’ve been reading, don’t comment every time :) Wishing you the best. Much love, joy, health and happiness. I am so happy for you and Mae. I’m so happy that she’s excited enough to pick out her dress. I can’t wait to follow that chapter. I hope you do share :) What a true gentlemen when he pulled out the necklace for M. I can’t wait to see your ring. Yay!

SDMktg March 22, 2010 at 2:43 pm

That is really a terrific engagement story. It is inspiring to see love work out like this and I couldn’t be happier for you. I hope your wedding will be everything you dream it to be.

Bonnie March 22, 2010 at 3:52 pm

WE RAISE OUR GLASSES OF MONDAY RED WINE TO ALL OF YOU!!!!!! YEAH FOR MERGING!!!! YEAH FOR NEW FAMILIES!!!!!!!!!
WOOHHOOOOOHHHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

GUNS SAYS TO BUY LG SOME EAR PLUGS FOR ALL THE SQUEALING HE WILL BE ENDURING FOR THE NEXT YEAR!!!!

HUGS,
BONNIE ‘N GUNS

Single Mom Seeking March 22, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Thanks Bonnie ‘n Guns!! (You were RIGHT Gun, tee hee!). Here’s to a Monday toast. You know that I’m going to be coming to you two for some blended family advice!
.-= Single Mom Seeking´s last blog ..Here’s the big news =-.

Swati Bharteey March 22, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Oh my goodness Rachel – this is SO wonderful!! He got your daughter a necklace? the man is unbelievable, gold. Lots of cyber-hugs coming your way – and we know you still have the single mom in you…but it’s nice to be able to take a break from it ;-) !

Can’t wait to hear more!
Swati
.-= Swati Bharteey´s last blog ..The Relationship – Chapter Four (a very short story) =-.

Caroline March 22, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Beautiful News! So happy for you three!!

Stickers and Labels Lover March 23, 2010 at 2:03 pm

Wow, that’s a great story, and the pics at the end are HILARIOUS!

Jamie March 23, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Congratulations, Rachel! A lot of my coworkers are getting married and it is really making me anxious, but I figure I don’t mind waiting a little longer for the right guy.
.-= Jamie´s last blog ..anxiety symptoms, worrying, pounding heart, butterflies in stomach =-.