Spoil yourself on Valentine’s Day?

by singlemomseeking on February 11, 2010

When I asked a few single mom bloggers last year at MomLogic if they were going to say “No” to Valentine’s Day, I’d expected to get a good dose of cynicism.

Instead, bloggers like The Quest for T — a single mom of two in a long distance relationship– said:

“I think love is who we are — and we should celebrate that every moment of every day!”

So, this time around — when I called these same women to touch base about their Valentine’s mood — I was sure some bitterness would come through.

But no. Listen in:

“In the last year, I’ve lost 35 lbs, quit smoking, started paying off divorce related bills,” says Julie from 47 and Starting Over.

“Now I am about to turn 49 and I feel fabulous about that!  So I will celebrate this crazy little Hallmark Holiday with some white wine, dark chocolate, and candles….and be thankful to be starting the last year of my 40s in such a better place in my life!”

Kat Wilder, who says that she celebrates Valentine’s Day every day (love it!), adds: “I make sure the people I love know it every day.”

And then there’s Jessica, aka Sassafrass, who put it all out there:

“This year, I will be sweetly and quietly completely single. OK, I won’t be that quiet. Although right now I am challenged to just ‘be’ in my singleness, I am actively seeking ways to delight in the quiet time to make my way through a queue full of Netflix movies and seasons of shows I missed when I was out with cute boys who kept me out way too late.”

And her plans for next Sunday?

I will be spoiled on Valentine’s Day. By myself, for myself. Nothing lavish. Nothing budget-blowing. Nothing life-changing. Nothing practical. Just something that will remind me that I deserve to be delighted. I’m thinking about buying and wearing a pair of saucy red knickers that no one else really needs to know about to give me a thrill.”

“Or maybe a big old gaudy cocktail ring to flash when I’m tapping away at my laptop, working late at night. Perhaps a new belly ring or lipstick or ridiculously small and adorable clutch purse. Of course, I always accept shoes from myself with great appreciation and bliss.”

red knickers

So, will you spoil yourself on Valentine’s Day? For YOURSELF?

This post is part of Valentine’s Week Blog-a-thon at Never Too Late. You can read more posts in the Crawl here.

Red knickers from HerRoom.com

Amy February 11, 2010 at 1:22 pm

I am going to be undergoing a martial arts belt test and starting off the Chinese New Year – year of the Tiger – which just happens to be my birth year.
.-= Amy´s last blog ..Journal 136: January 2010 On Your Anniversary =-.

Jamie February 11, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I’m going to be spending it with family at a dessert night at our church – should be fun!

Restless Mama February 11, 2010 at 2:32 pm

I’ve never really been one for V-day and not because it’s lovey dovey but because I didn’t believe in it. I believe in recognizing love everyday. So even when I was in a relationship I made it clear that I never wanted anything on Valentine’s Day but rather to be shown love everyday without material but just those three simple words.
But this year I had thought about treating myself to a “Me” day. Instead I’ll be helping my friend in a time of need which I would rather do and attending brunch with my family. It will still be a weekend full of love.
.-= Restless Mama´s last blog ..I need a hero! =-.

T February 11, 2010 at 2:39 pm

See how behind I am?

I will be completely alone on Valentine’s day most likely. The kids just left with the ex for the weekend and I won’t be seeing Rascal again until next weekend.

I did, however, go out and buy myself some king crab legs today. Because yummmmm….. they are my favorite. I will open a bottle of wine, rent a movie, enjoy my dinner, have a great dessert, take a hot bath… and then take advantage of myself! Ha! Why the hell not?!?

Enjoy your Valentine’s Day sweetheart.

xxoo
.-= T´s last blog ..The "M" word and my little overthinker =-.

Samantha February 11, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I had tried to organize a group of girlfriends for dinner and a movie. Turns out I have less single girlfriends than I thought.

Now I’m taking myself to see Valentines Day tomorrow while KG is at school and going to swim at the gym. I little bit of me time will hopefully go along way :)
.-= Samantha´s last blog ..single mom insults from relatives =-.

Nicki February 12, 2010 at 4:19 am

When I wasn’t sure if I was going to be single or seeing someone, I planned on having the kids for the weekend. Now I’m seeing someone and I’m still sooo glad that I have the kids for the weekend. (The new guy and I are taking off Wednesday from work to be together ALL DAY!) And I’m beyond excited at all the cool stuff the kids and I have planned for this weekend. I wouldn’t change who I’m spending the holiday with for ANYTHING. I’m getting to celebrate the loves of my life.
.-= Nicki´s last blog ..It’s a good look for me… =-.

singlemomseeking February 12, 2010 at 8:59 am

@Nicki: I’ve got the same plans, to be with my sweet girl and the man in our lives. After her soccer game, we’re gonna go on an afternoon hike with a picnic, the three of us.

Pippi February 12, 2010 at 8:27 am

I am going to Hilton Head this weekend with my BF to see his family. It’s a no kid weekend but I do miss my Smooch and BK already. I am going to spoil myself with long runs on the beach at sunrise and a trip to the local supermarket to buy my favorite tabloids that I typically never spend money on (only flip through them at the check out). I deserve it! Oh, and also will enjoy doing nothing – something that is very hard for me.
.-= Pippi´s last blog .."Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy…" =-.

singlemomseeking February 12, 2010 at 8:58 am

Oh, @Pippi, that sounds absolutely wonderful. Mmmmm.

Kat Wilder February 12, 2010 at 9:33 am

Thanks for the link, sweetie. I’m feeling the love. ;-)

In case I haven’t said it, I love you guys (oh, now I’m getting all teary-eyed …)

Have a great V-Day every day, too. Love happens … all the time.
.-= Kat Wilder´s last blog ..How I met your mother — or a hookup =-.

MC February 12, 2010 at 11:33 am

Historically for me, Valentine’s day has been fraught. This year, I’m happy to say it’s a non-event, just another day for everyday love. I’m spending the weekend with my kids and my adorable BF is going to come over on Sunday to hang out, have dinner, and maybe watch a Disney movie with us all.

Anna February 12, 2010 at 3:03 pm

I’ve never been a fan of this holiday, but for the first time in many, many years I have someone who intends to spoil me, and I’m going to let him (gasp!).

singlemomseeking February 12, 2010 at 5:52 pm

@Anna: Oh, yeah, gasp of joy!

Avigail74 February 12, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Just got back from a night of taking a friend’s two girls (so she and husband can have the whole house to themselves) to an expensive pizza restaurant—sleepover–and tomorrow we’ll all go the the museum–full of sweet, sweet love and laughter!

Legal Editor Mom February 12, 2010 at 9:26 pm

T’s plan works for me! ;-)

My honey was here all week but is now gone, so V-day will be just another day in my hectic but fulfilling life. We express our love every day, though, so this is fine with me. (I prefer to be surprised with roses for no special reason rather than on a holiday when it’s expected.)

Saturday night is Girls Night with a girlfriend who’s in town, then Sunday my daughter and I will go out to breakfast, get our nails done, go to the library to get books and movies for both of us, and continue to enjoy our three-day weekend together.

Vanna February 13, 2010 at 11:19 am

Yeah,
Spoil myself with some peace and quiet.

Julie February 13, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Thanks for including me in your post today!

Can’t say that it will be much different from any other Sunday for me, (although there is a bottle of Riseling chilling!) but I hope those of you with special plans or that special someone to share the day with, have the time of your life!

Mama C/Catherine February 13, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Thanks for the twitter connect via Moms of Hue. Clearly we do have some amazing overlaps! I just wrote a post myself about celebrating Valentine’s Day and other holidays of import as a Single Mama. Nothing as not as those red racey laceys!!! but fits the bill here.
Great to connect! Cathering
.-= Mama C/Catherine´s last blog ..On Not Receiving Flowers =-.

KT February 14, 2010 at 1:08 am

I bought myself a boquet of pink roses. They are spectacular and completely perk up my house.
.-= KT´s last blog ..not another wanna be author? =-.

Fragrant Liar February 14, 2010 at 7:13 am

Footloose and free, I’ll be spending this day doing things I enjoy, like hanging with my daughter and the nanababies, writing on my novel, drinking a glass or two of my fave Malbec, working on the body a bit, catching a little Olympics, and feeling good about my life. In other words, pretty much what I do every weekend. But I do hope next year I have someone special to add to the mix. I could meet him at any moment, couldn’t I?