If you have a fashionista

by singlemomseeking on December 17, 2009

When I first watched this video (below) of Jennifer — Apparel Design Director for Kmart and a single mom — I knew that I wanted you to meet her.

Just ask the folks at Kmart: I’ve been begging them for months to please let me chat with Jennifer because her creativity, thoughtfulness, and success is inspiring. (My daughter, who loves to sew, got the chance to chat with Jennifer, too!)

Jennifer, mom of 8-year-old Sophia says that her grandma taught her how to sew:

“My mom and dad separated when I was three, so I’d go to my Grandma’s on the weekends. She’d sit me on my lap and teach me on her machine. By the time I was eight, I was cutting fabric and making my own tops.”

It seems obvious that her own daughter has the designer genes, too. In fact, recently Sophia has insisted on “grading” her mom’s “fashion boards” from work.

“She”ll write down so many comments ‘Like ‘love this!’ or ‘lose the buttons!’ She has even commented, ‘Want to get married in this.’ ”

Jennifer says that the most challenging part of parenting solo is finding quality time with Sophia.

“I’m rushing to get her to school, then rushing to get myself to work, where I try to accomplish everything during the day. Then I’m rushing to get her at after school.”

So, she gets some bonding time with her daughter at night, snuggling in bed.

“It’s incredible. That’s the time when we talk: she opens up and tells me about her day. We’re extremely close.”

On that note, how about a Fashion Contest? I’m giving away a $50 gift certificate to Fashion Playtes.

fashion playtes

Fashion Playtes? Do some of you remember that called toy called “Fashion Plates”? You mixed and matched the patterned plastic pieces to design your own outfits and then sketched them with colored pencils.

Well, this is the new virtual design studio for girls ages 6-12 (but who says that boys can’t design clothes, too?). You can even design your own fashion label.

To enter the contest, all you need to do is tell us how you bond with your child(ren)

When? How? Anything…. This contest is open until New Year’s Day.

~~

And the winners of the Fandango Gift Cards?

Congrats to Travis from Culminating Life and Legal Editor Mom!

Tweets that mention If you have a fashionista | Single Mom Seeking -- Topsy.com
December 17, 2009 at 6:04 pm
uberVU - social comments
December 18, 2009 at 11:00 am

mg7630 December 18, 2009 at 7:40 am

Oh my god. I loved Fashion Plates as a kid.

My daughter still goes to bed late, so we have plenty of time to play when I get home from work. Something different every night. It’s my favorite part of the whole day.

Legal Editor Mom December 18, 2009 at 12:42 pm

My daughter and I sit at the table and have family dinner, just the two of us, together every night. There’s no TV, no talking on the phone, no toys, no nothing else, while we’re having dinner. That’s our time to discuss her day and for to talk to me about whatever she wants.

We also take mother-daughter baths together occasionally, and although she sleeps in her big girl bed now, we sometimes snuggle in my bed and watch a television program or DVD together.

Anna December 18, 2009 at 3:51 pm

My son and I read together at the end of the day. Sometimes I read to him, sometimes him to me, and sometimes we just sit together reading our own stuff silently. We also enjoy movies a great deal, and have movie nights from time to time.

Avigail74 December 19, 2009 at 8:09 am

I’m lucky enough to have my daughter attend to the school that I work at. Unlucky enough that it’s a total of 2 hour drive each day. Lucky enough to take advantage of that time to chat and catch up. Lucky enough to quickly hug her and her friends during lunch hour.

I let her sleep with me on Sundays. She tells me it’s so warm sleeping next to me. I love waking up to stare at her angelic face (and yes, Rachel, I still kiss her all over in her sleep ;-)

Unluckily, the two hour drive kills my energy so I’ll admit that I don’t spend as much quality time with her at home. Luckily, I’m the process of moving closer to work (30 mins total, max)–and I’m hoping to do what many of the other mums do: read more, have dinner at the table, cuddle and talk in bed!
.-= Avigail74´s last blog ..Gypsy Family =-.

Avigail74 December 19, 2009 at 8:11 am

Oh, I have a fashionista too—she asked my mother to teach her to how to knit, she often designs clothes and ask me which one I like best. *Sigh* She’ll even tell me which outfit looks good on me. Once I thanked her for going shopping, and her reply was: “Mom, I need to because I don’t want you to embarrass me!” Good heavens!
.-= Avigail74´s last blog ..Gypsy Family =-.

dancingmom December 31, 2009 at 5:28 pm

My daughter and I bond over books. We love to sit and read together and then talk about the stories. She also loves to have “girl parties” where we snuggle on the couch, eat popcorn, and watch movies. During the girl parties she tells me secrets and we laugh and share. And yes, she is a fashionista too!