Online dating, you, and me?

by singlemomseeking on October 16, 2009

Soon after my 30th birthday, my girlfriends first dared me to post my profile on Match.com.

Looking for my life partner in the aisles of the local Whole Foods just wasn’t cutting it back then. My girlfriends also knew that I had a history of meeting a man and falling too hard — and too fast — for him. I’d always been the kind of woman who jumped at a dare. I’d also known that it was about time I learned how to screen men and ask questions first.

So, online I’d gone.

Today, I cringe when I remember my first Match.com headline: “Are you an honest, big-hearted man with no addictions, except coffee?”

That was just the first of many mistakes. So, it’s about time that I shared the most common mistakes I’ve made when searching for love online, so you can avoid them.  (This month also marks one year since I started working for Match.com, so I’m rather brimming with dos and don’ts.)

Girls in Tech is sponsoring an evening of Virtual Dating 101 on Monday night.

Girls in Tech

Melinda Maximova — founder of Perfect Search, a VIP matchmaking service — is moderating the panel. I’ll be on with:

Brian Phillips — CEO of Thread, the first dating site to be built entirely on the FB Connect platform.

And Simon Tisminezky, CEO of SpeedDate.com, the first online speed dating site.

Where? At E&O Trading Company, a Southeast Asian Grill.

When? Monday, October 19. Check-in starts at 6:30. The panel begins at 7.

The event costs just $10 bucks — and you can sign up here.

Nicki October 19, 2009 at 3:47 am

Wow. You have the coolest life! It makes me wish I was ready to date again so I could join in all the fun. Enjoy! Can’t wait to read your feedback on the experience.
.-= Nicki´s last blog ..Well, it’s Monday…again… =-.

singlemomseeking October 20, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Ah, Nicki, my life is equally as full with dirty dishes in the sink, unfolded laundry, and lots of juggling!

Last night, my daughter told me: “You’re on the computer ALL the time, Mommy!”

It’s not so cool, as you can see.

Dr.Leah www.singlemommyhood.com October 19, 2009 at 4:01 am

Have fun! Sounds like an incredibly interesting evening. Can’t wait to hear all about it.
.-= Dr.Leah http://www.singlemommyhood.com´s last blog ..Is a “dad substitute” a good idea? =-.

Nich October 19, 2009 at 8:02 am

Sounds great wish I could come, too far for me to go alone….
tell me how it goes

singlemomseeking October 20, 2009 at 4:08 pm

@Nich: Next time, I’m going to get you to hop on BART with me, okay?

Kelli October 19, 2009 at 8:21 am

Kind of odd question… how in the world did you get a job w/ Match.com? Like I said odd I know. Haha… too bad im in FL or I would totally come. I think it would be interesting.
.-= Kelli´s last blog .."Who’s Who?" =-.

BigLittleWolf October 19, 2009 at 11:13 am

Sounds fascinating. But having been on and off an assortment of sites (in 2 countries), I hope you’ll share some of the more unusual insights you bring back.

For those of us who’ve done the online dating circuit, and are facing empty nest and empty bed syndromes simultaneously, a few tips and hints would be welcome!
.-= BigLittleWolf´s last blog ..Parenting from a peripheral planet =-.

SDMktg October 20, 2009 at 3:58 pm

How was it?

singlemomseeking October 20, 2009 at 4:07 pm

@SDMktg: Not as I imagined! I was on the panel with these three (male!) CEOs in the Bay Area. They all founded huge social media dating sites — and they pumped their companies big time!

And me? I joked with them about being the CEO of Match.com (ha). Then I just talked about love….

KayDee October 27, 2009 at 9:22 am

I love reading your blogs. They are very sincere and something you can relate to!

I just wanted to recommend my site — there are stories posted daily by real people about times they realized they were in love! It is very uplifting and cute, maybe people can find some tips on there! Keep up the good work.
xoxo
.-= KayDee´s last blog ..Unexpected =-.

Derek October 28, 2009 at 7:08 am

I recently was thrust into the world of online dating, and from a guy’s perspective, its scary. Everyone seems so genuine at first and we have a tendancy to believe what people tell us. Whether you are a man or woman, I think the key will always be to take your time. It seems all those who misrepresent themselves always seem to slip up after a few emails. Its a shame because it makes us hesitant to open up to a potentially great person, but they are out there!