Meeting Aunt Marge

by singlemomseeking on October 8, 2009

My Aunt Marge regularly reads my blog, although she tells me: “Sometimes I feel like I should read it with my eyes closed. It’s just too much information.”

I don’t get to see Aunt Marge often — she lives on the East Coast — so whenever I do, it’s a treat. She’s always filled with advice, and I eat it right up. For example, when I was thinking about wearing flannel PJs live on TV for Pajama Day — as part of a Valentine’s Day episode on single moms and dating — Marge emailed me in caps, “DO NOT WEAR FLANNEL.” (She was right, of course.)

When I wrote about my Facebook status fight with that Lucky Guy, Marge got so worked up that she even commented on my blog, with a disclaimer that began with “some old fashioned advice from an old woman:”

Don’t push. If LG is not comfortable with this — or anything else — and does it just to please you, he will resent it, and your possible long lasting wonderful relationship will spiral away from you. You have to show him that you are respectful of his wishes, as you would want from him in any other situation.”

Then she ended with: “Introducing you to his family is far more of a committed step than anything to the unknown public online.”

Well, how about introducing him to MY family?

This week, Marge is in town with my sweetheart uncle for a visit. They’re the one couple in my family whom I think about whenever I envision an ideal relationship. Yes, I want to have a lasting partnership for decades like theirs — and they prove that it’s really possible. (Doesn’t everyone have one couple like that in their heads? I’ll never forgot T’s post about her Mema and Papa’s lasting love.)

Anyway, weeks before her arrival to California, Marge made it very clear that she had a mission on this trip: to meet that Lucky Guy. In fact, they’d already been in contact by email (!) to discuss cooking a meal together.

Last night, he hosted a dinner at his home with salmon on the grill, rice, a fig salad — and a baked apple dessert made by Marge and my girl. Yep, Marge’s email to me this morning sums up how the evening went:

“Let’s say I was not disappointed an iota to be able to be with him face to face….”

Oh, have I mentioned that LG made me a table? Remember my Feng Shui dilemma about my office? Well, I sold the desk on Craig’s List, and in its place, LG hand-crafted this for that space:

Desk LG jpg

Indeed, it’s a dining table doubles as a desk. (And I thought he was just a hot science nerd!) For those of you who wonder what happened to the bed he was making? He says it’s almost done: he’s installing some handles…Handles?

{ 19 comments… read them below or add one } September 9, 2015 at 6:41 am

That’s a sharp way of thinking about it.

Reply September 8, 2015 at 9:24 am

I told my kids we’d play after I found what I needed. Damnit.

Taylar August 22, 2015 at 8:26 am

I agree with my fellow arnsewers . Cranium is a great game if your family likes to have fun, drawing, playdoh, acting, and thinking Hit the deck is a fun card game, you can pick it up at Walmart for less then $ 5. It’s active, and fun for all ages. Taboo is fantastic, but you have to have equal amouts of people .one or more guesses the other gives clues. oh, Spoons is fun too . Spoons is a fast-paced card game of matching and bluffing played with an ordinary pack of playing cards and several ordinary kitchen spoons or various other objects. Spoons is played in multiple rounds and each player’s objective is to be the first in the round to have four of a kind, or to not be the last to grab a spoon. Spoons is most popular among children and teenagers, though many adults play it as well. Have fun!

Karen October 18, 2009 at 6:00 am

I got all choked-up reading this. Twice! I love Aunt Marge too!

Cheryl Pope October 11, 2009 at 7:32 am

I love Aunt Marge. She gives real good advice.

MC October 9, 2009 at 1:52 pm

Oh, gorgeous table!
…and your LG must also be a real keeper if he passes muster with the family gatekeeper and keeps his sense of humor intact at the same time.
Glad to hear everything’s going so well….!

GLSD October 9, 2009 at 1:14 pm

Sounds like LG is a keeper and Aunt Marge… more people need and Aunt like her… her wisdom…her advice! have a good weekend Rachel!

The Urban Cowboy October 9, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Handles on a bed…sounds like you need a rope.
.-= The Urban Cowboy´s last blog ..Leather Jacket =-.

BigLittleWolf October 9, 2009 at 11:40 am

I’m with L.E.M. Your aunt sounds like a fabulous woman. We all want and need an Aunt Marge in our lives.

But MARGE – if you’re reading – STOP CALLING YOURSELF OLD! Just stick at 39 (like you-know-who), and consider yourself wise beyond your years.
.-= BigLittleWolf´s last blog ..Life is what happens while you’re busy making other plans… =-.

Legal Editor Mom October 9, 2009 at 11:29 am

Ain’t love grand? Aunt Marge sounds like a gem, and LG is awesome too. Best wishes!

Mike October 9, 2009 at 11:13 am

Handles? Like Aunt Marge said, “too much information.” LOL.
.-= Mike´s last blog ..Slippery =-.

singlemomseeking October 9, 2009 at 11:35 am

@Mike: I know you were hoping this whole post would just be about that table….

Mike October 9, 2009 at 1:16 pm

It’s true. I’ve been waiting all week for it. I’d even started making up my own stories like that LG gave up making the bed and just made what he did into a table.
.-= Mike´s last blog ..Slippery =-.

Nicki October 9, 2009 at 8:38 am

Yay! A table. And a bed…with handles? (I don’t want to know, and I share just about everything.)

Best of luck with LG. He’s a keeper. (Which works well, since you strike me as a forever…not a for now…kind of girl.)
.-= Nicki´s last blog ..More than just a movie quote… =-.

Love Coach Rinatta October 8, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Rachel, awww, he made you a table and he cooked for your aunt and uncle. I think he might be a keeper!
.-= Love Coach Rinatta´s last blog ..Relationship Patterns: how the past still runs you =-.

Susan October 8, 2009 at 7:26 pm

Hold on tight to those handles, honey! Hee hee.

Lucky Guy AND your Aunt Marge sound like keepers :)
.-= Susan´s last blog ..Taking a bow =-.

singlemomseeking October 9, 2009 at 11:35 am

@Susan: always so great to hear from you! (Hey, folks, did you know that Susan is getting MARRIED soon?)

T October 8, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Handles?!? NOW you’re talkin’! *giggle!*

Oh Aunt Marge! I love her already! How much fun is this post!

And thanks for the linky love. May you and LG find that your love can last and last…
.-= T´s last blog ..For my daughters: A Good Man =-.

singlemomseeking October 9, 2009 at 11:34 am

@T: You and Aunt Marge would hit it off for SURE! You’re already in tight with my family….