Love notes

by singlemomseeking on August 14, 2009

I’ve started to write little love notes for my daughter before she goes on her trip. This was all Dr. Leah’s idea, really. When I asked for some advice to prepare for our longest time apart, Dr. Leah said:

“Why don’t you write a note for M for every day that’s she away and tuck the notes in sealed envelopes in her suitcase? M has her cell phone calendar to keep track of the days, but emotionally needs that little piece of motherly love.”

So, I’ve written a week’s worth of sweet nothings and tucked them into little pink envelopes.”Did you swim today?” I’ve asked. “Did you have some shaved ice?”

Of course, I included some jokes for my goofy girl to read, too:

What does a frog wear on St. Patrick’s Day?

(Nothing!)

What kind of cell phone does a turtle use?

(A shell phone!)

love cards

This all feels big: letting my kid go off by herself for a week. Dr. Leah has urged me to “hold it together” at the airport. If I break down and sob, she says, M “will be confused, upset, and bewildered. It’s your ‘parental duty’ to convey happy anticipation and confident optimism. If you feel an impending cry, just tilt your head slightly upward and breathe forcefully through your nose.”

Her last words of advice? “Suck those tears back in.”

You got it, Dr. Leah!

And this feels big, too: for the first time since launching my blog two years ago, I’m taking a break. For the next 10 (!) days, I’m letting this Single Mom Seeking take a breather. If this does anything, I hope that it encourages you to take a little break, too. You deserve it.

In the meantime, however, Singlemommyhood is ALIVE. So, hop on over there to get some juicy dating tips, advice about your ex, fun giveaways (Kelty backpacks, anyone?)… and more!

See you at Singlemommyhood. And take good care of yourselves! I’ll see you soon!

Pink Lilly heart stationary from Etsy.com

Susan August 14, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Enjoy your break, Rachel!…just as M will enjoy all those special love notes.

lovebabz August 14, 2009 at 6:22 pm

We must grow our girls into women. They are not born women…they become women.

All that you have taught her, all that you have conveyed to her will be summoned in the week away. She will be triumphant. Trust that you did an excellent job of preparing her for this moment. She is becoming who she needs to be. Don’t cry…REJOICE! and see her as she is …not your darling baby…but a young lady poised to take on the world…all because of YOU.

I am with Dr. Leah…suck it up! I say let her see you have faith in her independence and her ability to go on and handle herself.
You did good momma…now let her show you. ((HUGS))

PS: Love the look of the blog makeover :)

Mommy Reporter August 14, 2009 at 10:44 pm

Keep up with the love notes. I remember when I was younger, a girl in my class used to get notes from her mom in her lunch. I was so envious, that I used to write my own notes and sign them “Love, Mom” just so I could have a note in my lunch too. My mom doesn’t know about this, imagine the heartbreak she would feel if she knew… don’t stop writing notes to your daughter, she will remember them forever. Have a great vacation!!

Nap Warden August 15, 2009 at 2:56 pm

Enjoy your break!

T August 16, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Whew. I can’t stand that I haven’t seen my girls in over 10 days….

Enjoy your well deserved break, honey.

Love you.

GLSD August 17, 2009 at 10:38 am

Hope you and M have a wonderful vacay. Love the new look of your blog! XX

Ted August 19, 2009 at 10:54 pm

Congratulations! Our selection committee compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 Dating Blogs, and yours was included! Check it out at http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/Dating

You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award Badge at http://thedailyreviewer.com/pages/badges

Cheers!

Rori Raye August 24, 2009 at 7:18 pm

Oh — I so relate. I saw my 21 year old daughter off to Europe almost 2 months ago, and I still have another month and 1/2 to go. amazingly, this isn’t as bad as the last two trips, where I was fighting the crazies all the time…I think it’s because she has a cell phone, we talk and email all the time…isn’t technology great? I also find I don’t worry about her as much. she actually seems safer to me over there, walking instead of driving around here where I can worry about her every minute she’s not in her bed. I much prefer the feeling of being excited for her instead of worried…Rori Raye

Honoree August 26, 2009 at 10:43 am

Rachel, I bet your break is going amazing! Here’s to you being “single mom finding, enjoying and abundant”. Blessings & Light, Honoree

Single Mom Paying Off Debt August 26, 2009 at 2:52 pm

Enjoy your break !!!

love September 4, 2009 at 7:07 pm

If I were your daughter I will really be happy to read it. Specially the jokes. Nice one!
.-= love´s last blog ..Monday Morning =-.