Single mom in Costa Rica?

by singlemomseeking on July 10, 2009

I wish I could tell you that I was the one hopping on a plane to Costa Rica. Not yet anyway.

It’s my single mom friend, Amy, who has the guts (yes, that’s Amy pictured here).

Amy is one of the most adventurous women I know. And since she’s a teacher with the summer off, Amy has flown to Costa Rica with her daughter — yes, just the two of them!

You can follow Amy’s adventures through her blog — including some hilarious videos!

amy-costa-rica

The truth: Amy hadn’t originally planned to go Costa Rica, which is now ranked the happiest nation on earth. She was first headed to Mexico (where we’ve traveled together with our girls!). But thanks to the swine flu, Amy got creative and scratched her Mexico plans for a former fishing village on the Northern Pacific coast in Costa Rica.

“There are NO street signs here,” Amy writes. “In fact, there are no paved roads here. There are paths that lead to places.”

In the meantime, her daughter, Elyza, is loving the beach but dealing with the bugs:

mexico-07-097

So, I emailed Amy to ask what their mother-daughter days are like. In the morning, Elyza wants to eat banana bread at the local cafe. Then, after lounging around the house for a long time, “she gets swim lessons — from me — in our pool.” (Yes, you read that right: they have their OWN pool!)

After swimming, they have lunch — “casados” (traditional food: frijoles, arroz, pollo o carne, banano fritos, ensalada) — and head to the beach. Mmm, can you imagine?

I’d love to know: have you ever been to Latin America? With — or without — your kids?

I wonder what she and Elyza will be up to next? Visiting a volcano? The hot springs? The rain forest? (I hear that you can zipline over the rain forest canopy!)

Amy’s most recent post is about getting lost in their rental car on her way to a national park, Rincon De Viaja. After driving and driving, they finally found a restaurant, where a guy told them they were “on the other side of the park, about one and half hour away from the entrance.”

Amy took it all in stride. But to be honest, due to time and cost concerns, I’m not sure I have it in me to plan a trip all by myself. I’d probably consult with a one-stop-shop travel company like Sunny Land Tours — with more than 20 years’ experience in operating tours to Costa Rica.

I’m in awe of Amy’s independence and determination. In the meantime, I’m considering turning to a company like Sunny Land Tours to plan out my day trips in Costa Rica. Hmmmm.

~~
Thank you so much to Sunny Land Tours for sponsoring this post!

Robin July 10, 2009 at 7:04 pm

My son and I spent two months in Mexico when he was 2.5. It was an awesome experience.

Bobbi Janay July 10, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Wow, I wish I was that brave.

Bobbi Janay´s last blog post…Wordless Wednesday

bad mummy July 10, 2009 at 9:33 pm

I travelled in Costa Rica for 3+ weeks when I was not quite 3 months pregnant. It was incredible. I would love to take The Mook back one day but right now I’m committed to showing her our own country. I would like to road trip across Canada when she is 6 or 7. Take 2 months to see everything, camping along the way.

Costa Rica is an incredibly easy country to travel in. Tico buses are cheap and go everywhere! Plus the front seat of the bus is reserved for pregnant ladies and seniors!

bad mummy´s last blog post…Word-full Wednesday

lovebabz July 11, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I have spent time in Mexico….before kids. One of my dearest Sister-friends got married in Costa Ric at sunset on the beach. BREATHTAKING! I do believe I will visit there with my kids and new love in the future (fingers crossed)
I admire courageous women, who raise strong and courageous kids!

lovebabz´s last blog post…FAITH FORWARD FRIDAY: ALLOW LOVE TO BE LOVE

Floridagirl July 13, 2009 at 2:26 pm

This is awesome! I’m a bit of an adventure seeker myself and plan to do the same type of things with my daughter once she is older and can appreciate more exotic places. However that hasn’t stopped me from travelling with her while she is young (20 months). We just took a cruise to Alaska – granted grandma and grandpa came along but we were alone for the flight so I think we can go anywhere now!

Bonnie July 14, 2009 at 4:25 pm

My daughter inherited my travel bug and early on she earned her miles-Australia and new Zealand to see friends. Before I getting remarried I took my daughter to Thailand. We went with Intrepid Travel. I am not the type to do a tour vacation, but for somewhere that exotic with a kid I wanted to do a tour, but a cool one. I cannot rave enough or encourage enough people to to go!!! It was so great to go with other families, several with single parent. I would love for us all to take the trip to Egypt together! http://www.intrepidtravel.com/stylesearch/family

dee August 12, 2009 at 10:09 am

great post! i have two boys and they love to travel. it’s a real stress release for them and me. good experience for the kids too. keeps them cultured. if we can stay away from mexico and jamaica, maybe we’ll get to costa rica one day!