Buying men’s boxers? Help!

by singlemomseeking on June 9, 2009

Shhhh, the Lucky Guy doesn’t know this yet, but I want to get him something very special for being the biggest-help-ever during my move this past weekend.

Here’s a list of what he has done in the past 72 hours:

1. He picked up more moving boxes for me after I’d run out

2. With my kitchen in total disarray, he took me out to dinner every night

3. He re-taped my boxes after I did a crappy, rushed job

4. He hugged me through more than one of my stressed-out tantrums

5. He drove the U-Haul there and back (and seems to love showing off his backing-up-in-a-narrow driveway skills)

6. He crawled under my new home and connected the land line for my phone

And the above is only a partial list! I’ve thanked him over and over, but I want to do something. I’ve noticed that maybe, um, he could use some new underwear (and you might recall that he gave me some beautiful bra and panties?)

The researcher in me has noted that he wears both boxers and boxer briefs. The problem is: I’m not very savvy — or experienced — in buying men’s underwear. What kind of boxers should I get him?

Here’s where you men and women, please! –come in:

Perhaps the timing of this is perfect because while writing this, Her Room alerted me to the winners of the 2009 Undies contest.

This should make my choice easy — except that there are so many possibilities! I’m not sure. I could go for one of 2009 His Room Undies winners, such as:

The Calvin Klein Slim Fit Woven Boxers

undies-boxers-09

Or, the Under Armour Boxer Jocks:

undies-boxerbrief-09

…Or, the Judges’ Favorite Boxer Briefs, the Diesel Breddox Trunks:

undies-diesel

But the truth is, I’m partial to these Liquid Cotton Trunks from 2Xist:

her-room-boxer-brief

Help! What’s your vote?

He’s a stylish guy, but clearly comfort weighs in here, too, right? I’m counting on you…

If you want to order directly from either Her Room or His Room, go for it here!

{ 1 trackback }

Contest. Can you guess who the Lucky Guy is? | Single Mom Seeking
September 3, 2009 at 5:10 pm

judy June 9, 2009 at 4:32 pm

Be wary of gift giving as thank-you’s
Some may say he should do those things if he is “your man”
There will be plenty of times the list will be of what you have done for him
that’s what relationships are about.

It’s not an aversion to gifts, I love to both give and get them, but not as a thank you as a just because (oh but NEVER forget a holiday on me either)

That being said hook me up with a Diesel guy

singlemomseeking June 9, 2009 at 4:39 pm

Judy: Good point. He’s definitely the kind of guy who gives to give — not because he expects anything in return.

But for a single mom who’s used to doing almost everything on her own… I can’t help myself.

Here’s to your Diesel guy!

Canadian Bald Guy June 9, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Ummm…at the risk of providing TMI, I’m definitely a boxer-brief kinda guy.

Canadian Bald Guy´s last blog post…My terrible tusslin’ two-year-old toddler

won June 9, 2009 at 5:17 pm

Now if I were him, this post would piss me off in a “TMI” over the top kind of way.

Why not put your big girl panties on work it out?

won´s last blog post…Part Two of My Soul

singlemomseeking June 9, 2009 at 10:23 pm

I’m curious if others agree with WON that this is “TMI”? After all, he practically remains anonymous… What do you all think?

I do appreciate the big girl anecdote, however!

Janet June 9, 2009 at 5:53 pm

What was the question? I got distracted by the photos. :)

(Definitely boxer briefs…way sexier)

Janet´s last blog post…Surprise.

Lovebabz June 9, 2009 at 6:33 pm

I LOVE THEM ALL!

I say get one of each and have him do a fashion show…let him get his runway stride on for you!

I think a Thank you gift is totally COOL! It would be a lovely gesture. Girl make your own loveship rules! Throw in some really fine chocolates for sweet measure :)

Lovebabz´s last blog post…TRUE LOVE TUESDAY: MORE OF LESS

Legal Editor Mom June 9, 2009 at 7:31 pm

Rachel,
I agree with Judy to a point; but I’d be more likely to cook him a special dinner or bake him something that I know he likes to show my appreciation. Thoughtful gestures in a relationship are great, especially when they’re reciprocated. I haven’t bought men’s undergarments in quite a while so I can’t suggest any, but I do think he’ll appreciate the gesture. ;-)

barrett June 9, 2009 at 9:50 pm

Boxer briefs, the ones on the far right look comfy. Sounds like a very unique gift actually, kinda fun!

judy June 9, 2009 at 9:51 pm

Yeah..I would do the dinner thing too LEM but Rachel that help is in such my distant past that I might buy a guy a 3 piece suit with coordinating cuff links and tie just to even carry one load of groceries in for me so I know where you are coming from.

Count your blessings girlfriend!

Kari June 10, 2009 at 6:33 am

I gift gave to my man when he helped me move in much the same fashion and even brought his strong burly (sp?) cousin along to help right as we started dating before we were even serious.

“My Man” he’s like this, heck he sees a couple of loads of laundry piling up and he just does them, dishes left in the sink he does those too. He sees it and he does it. We joke that he picked up a chore at my house (trash duty) because it is always ready to go out when he is there and he takes it out lol

Kari´s last blog post…Taking a break

Single Mom Paying Off Debt June 10, 2009 at 6:41 am

Boxers are always safe.. I think briefs would be harder to pick out and then he may feel guilty if they don’t fit like his other ones… I think boxers are all alike, where as briefs can vary greatly.

Rachel- no, I don’t think this is TMI. Carry on….

Single Mom Paying Off Debt´s last blog post…Extra $1250 to pay towards debt !!!

MindyMom June 10, 2009 at 8:33 am

Won’s comment is funny! And yeah, probably TMI this time although I do appreciate the eye-candy with the pics!

And I agree that a thank you gift should be reconsidered, maybe a nice dinner instead?

MindyMom´s last blog post…A Stronger Man

John F June 10, 2009 at 9:04 am

Buying YOU panties and a bra is not a gift for you–be real!

And there are certain purchases (at least for me) that are best left purchased by me. Underwear would fall into that category.

Maybe since he is so good with the U-Haul, a gift certificate for the Academy of Trucking?

John F´s last blog post…For The 40+ Generation

Kevin June 10, 2009 at 11:11 am

If the (future) lady in my life got me boxer briefs, I’d crawl under her house and connect anything she wanted me to. They are the most comfortable and, if I may delicately say, the keep everything ‘secure’ Get him the liquid cotton trunks. very fashionable.

Kevin´s last blog post…Back-to-back 50-mile weeks

GLSD June 10, 2009 at 11:19 am

Boxer Briefs…and I’d definitely cook him dinner and dessert ;o)

judy June 10, 2009 at 11:23 am

If you told us he wore lace woman’s panties that would be TMI but wearing boxers and briefs I would assume he wore one of these..

Jen June 10, 2009 at 11:04 pm

I like the first and the fourth options…and yeah, make the man a pie or something while you’re at it! ;)

Jen´s last blog post…Crazy Texas Bloggers

Bonnie June 11, 2009 at 6:32 am

Guns really loved when I bought him pj pants at a certain point in our dating relationship! Of course, he didn’t tell me this ’till much later-after we were married! He liked the idea of being able to come over after work and hang out comfy at my house. It sounds crazy and it was not intended at the time, but it moved our relationship from dating to “you are a part of the family/my life/my home.” He started hanging around more and making himself comfortable. He also had something that was appropriate to wear when we eventually had him stay over when my daughter was home.

The bra and panty set were not for you, honey! When he gives you one of his comfy old shirts to wear then that is for you! :)

Have fun “breaking in” all the new rooms iny our place! So fun to move!! Lots of new places to explore!

Be VERY CAREFUL with birth control when moving!! I advise doubling up! That is when a lot of my girlfriends have gotten surprise pregnancies-STRESS makes our bodies/hormones nuts!

Priscilla San Remo June 12, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Here’s what I would do: I’d cook him a nice meal or take him out or something along those lines as a reasonable thank you. Then, since you’ve just moved into a new place, I’d show him a drawer set aside for him in your dresser (assuming you are at this stage) where he can keep a few personal things. Stock it with his favorite shaving cream, deodorant, etc., and a couple of pairs of nice undies–my vote is for the Liquid Cotton. It’s an indirect way of buying him some new skivvies, but it’s not the main thank you gift–just a nice extra gesture.

singlemomseeking June 15, 2009 at 3:07 pm

Right on Priscilla! Your comment inspired me to take him out for a nice dinner (I even found overnight childcare last-minute, and he was so thrilled)…. and, yes, I have given him a shelf for now. Working on the dresser drawer! Thanks.

tanasie June 15, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Unless he’s an athlete do not buy him the under armor boxer jocks. They are so totally uncomfortable. I know this, because my boyfriend and I went to a wedding recently, and there was a several hour gap between the wedding and the reception. We went back to his place. He changed, so I decided to take off my dress and put on a pair of his boxers and a t-shirt. I put on the under armor (because they were the first pair I grabbed in the drawer) and they are not even remotely comfortable.
“Are you wearing my under armor?” he asked.
“Yes,” I said. “They are not comfortable.”
“That’s why I only wear them when I’m playing sports,” he said. They are tighter than biker shorts. So, if he’s athletic, go for it. If not, get him one of the others.

tanasie´s last blog post…Caveat Emporia

singlemomseeking June 15, 2009 at 3:05 pm

You crack me up Tanasie! That’s hilarious that you put on your boyfriend’s Under Armor boxer jocks…. I love it! (And they do look like they’d be best for super-athletic guys.)

frugaldater June 21, 2009 at 8:46 am

You want the aerodynamic look of trunks, especially when they have a spandex/lycra mix to make them feel like silk

frugaldater´s last blog post…Frugaldate – Atlanta

singlemomseeking June 24, 2009 at 3:32 pm

All right, order is in! I got him the 2Xist boxers — above — plus a couple of pairs of Calvin Klein boxer briefs.

This gift was really for ME, right?