Being the father you always wanted

by singlemomseeking on June 15, 2009

In honor of Father’s Day, I’m thrilled to be featuring some amazing fathers here — and at Singlemommyhood.

Many of you are divorced dads who parent long-distance — or your ex is one of them! This week, it’s time to feature two of these guys, who are both fathers to 10-year-olds!

First, up is Mike from Going Sane in a Crazy World.

mike-v

Mike and I met the same way that I’ve “met” most dad bloggers: online. Over Facebook the past couple of months, Mike and I have being chatting about the fact that our parents got divorced when we were young — and today, we’re both single parents.

This is the part where Mike really got me: He explained that he’s doing his best to be the father he always wanted.

Growing up, Mike saw his Dad on Sundays, but “he was a very absent father and we interacted very little. I knew when I had a son, I wanted to be the father I had wanted as a child. I’m a long-distance dad, so it’s a tough obstacle to overcome.”

Get this: for the past five years, Mike has written one letter a week to his son, Eric, who lives more than 300 miles away. For a while, Dad also sent his stuffed tiger Hobbes back and forth with a notebook in which Mike described their adventures.

He has always included special surprises in his letters, such as interesting photos from the newspaper and Yu Gi Oh, baseball, and Pokemon cards. Recently, Eric — who’s now 10 — called his dad to ask about the Filipino side of their family for a school project.

I’ve told him since he was born that I would love him no matter what,” says Mike, who tries to makes every effort to see his son every three months. “This ground work has really made a great foundation for us talking.”

Hop on over to Singlemommyhood to meet Canadian Bald Guy, another long-distance dad… to his sweet 10-year-old daughter.

Eathan June 15, 2009 at 4:53 pm

Nice post. I can’t say I could be a long distance dad. But I’m sure it’s a difficult.

Eathan´s last blog post…Is Hank Baskett Black?

Ameya June 15, 2009 at 6:15 pm

Aw :)

I had a long distance dad. My mom moved with me from Los Angeles to Ohio when i was two, which pretty much destroyed (well he let it destroy him) my father. He called me every day, though (much to my annoyance as a young kid! i ran out of things to say! Including at every single sleep over, all my galfriends would love talking to him on the phone because he’d ask them all about their lives & get them all to adore him. I got to spend every summer with him, and he always sent me things, so I can’t say i wish he would have done anything different. He was a great long distance dad and he always made sure i knew how much he loved me and hated not being there with me.

He died when I was 12 (so he can’t speak for his own awesomeness here) and all those annoying phone calls and carefree summers will always stick with me for the rest of my life & i will always appreciate that i had a dad who did everything he could to make big distances feel like small ones =)

Ameya´s last blog post…OHAI!

Mike June 15, 2009 at 6:56 pm

Thanks so much Rachel.

MindyMom June 16, 2009 at 7:45 am

If only more fathers could take this approach…

Good for Mike – and his son. Parenting does take an effort no matter how goegraphically close you are.

MindyMom´s last blog post…Forgive Me, for I Have Sinned

QTMama June 16, 2009 at 9:06 am

I heart Mike.

QTMama´s last blog post…Back Home!

SDMktg June 16, 2009 at 4:39 pm

I think it is an awesome gift to have a chance to be the parent that you wish you had growing up. It’s definitely a choice to stop the cycle and I applaud everyone who makes that choice. I’m fortunate enough to see my kids nearly every day and I feel very blessed for that.

Nice post SMS.

Mikko Kemppe June 19, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Very nice and heartwarming post! Thanks for sharing.

Mikko Kemppe´s last blog post…Do Men Just Want Sex? Should My Decision Be To Wait Or Not To Wait?

Perfect Moment Project June 20, 2009 at 11:48 pm

Single Moms deserve more than just the one Mother’s Day.

This is my note for all the single moms… I dedicate Father’s Day to my Mom

Happy Father’s Day, Moms.