New haircut

by singlemomseeking on May 23, 2009

I haven’t had a haircut for more than three months.

In between working and packing and end-of-school plays and concerts, however, it was time to take a lunch break and see Edwin downtown.

Later that day, I’d also planned see the Lucky Guy — and, yes, I had told him that morning that I was getting my haircut.

So, guess what happened when I saw him?

Over coffee, he said, “How was your day?”

“Busy!” I said, flipping my hair.

He held my hand. I tossed my hair back again. Nothing.

Me: “Do you notice anything different about me?”

Him: “No.”

Me, cracking up, and tossing my head back dramatically.

Him: “Your hair!”

Then he added, jokingly: “Well, uh, I have this policy to never comment on a woman’s hair or weight.”

But really, he just forgot — and didn’t notice that I’d had two inches chopped off (granted, it was only two inches, not six):

haircut-rachel1

And the truth is, I don’t really expect guys to comment about physical changes anymore. Sometimes, I think that I could dye my hair red, or get a nose ring — and men wouldn’t notice. (It did give me the chance to tease him relentlessly, however.)

And it got me super curious:

Women: Do you expect a guy say something sweet to you after make a change, like get a haircut or a new outfit?

Men: Do you ever comment after a woman you’re dating gets a haircut, or new clothes?

Or, do you just avoid it altogether? (Seriously, what if you don’t like her new haircut or new clothes. Then what?)

Photo by LG

URwingman May 23, 2009 at 10:01 am

Honestly, I try my best to notice subtle details. I actually take pride in being that observant because I think it’s important.

But I’ll miss some things, sometimes.

Each time I DO notice, I make it a point to acknowledge it.

URwingman´s last blog post…Some Weekend Words of Encouragement

judy May 23, 2009 at 1:38 pm

I have learned to tell them in advance of any changes..give them an opportunity to notice when I see them and if they don’t then I remind them in a hammy way such as exaggerated hair flipping saying..so what do you think about this new do…..

on a similar note on valentine’s day, birthdays…2 days before my sister used to place a sticky on her man’s check book with a remind of the holiday and an idea or 2 for a gift.

singlemomseeking May 23, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Judy: This is so hilarious about your sister putting sticky notes on her man’s check book with a reminder about upcoming holidays…

Mike and URwingman: You sound like great guys.

Mike May 23, 2009 at 3:03 pm

If I notice I will. I try to notice those type of changes since I know most women put a lot of effort into it.

Mike May 24, 2009 at 9:16 am

Unless it alters the appearance a noticable amount a hair cut will go without comment. I doubt 2 inches made much difference in your appearance.

Clothing will almost always get some reaction. My single mom loves to put on really eye catching outfits, because she knows I’ll give her the drop jaw reaction that she loves to see. But then I’ve done much the same when she answers the door in jeans and a T-shirt. I always point out to her that she makes whatever she wears look sexy.

MindyMom May 24, 2009 at 9:49 am

It would be SO nice to have a man appreciate and acknowledge my appearance…

*sigh*

MindyMom´s last blog post…Me: The Common Denominator

Rosie Scribble May 24, 2009 at 1:39 pm

Men simply don’t notice these things!! Your haircut looks lovely.

Dr.Leah www.singlemommyhood.com May 24, 2009 at 2:12 pm

I agree with Rosie Scribble.

Men do like “changes” noticed, especially a spiffy tie. Just my experience.

NappyKitchen May 25, 2009 at 1:40 am

Yes! I love for even the small changes to be noticed by someone I’m interested in.

Let’s face it. That kind of thing make us feel significant to him and our efforts appreciated by him.

NappyKitchen´s last blog post…Let me Direct your Attention

from the desk of..me May 25, 2009 at 6:57 am

i do love when my man-friend notices the small things i’ve changed and i must admit he’s great about noticing. sometimes, he even notices a little too much. :)

ur haircut looks good!

from the desk of..me´s last blog post…Happily Ever After

SingleParentPlus2 May 25, 2009 at 3:07 pm

I comment on everything I notice that is different from the last time I see a woman. Any woman – mom, sister, girlfriend, ex-wife etc. It’s a chance to show how observant you are and that you really “pay attention” all the time and not just say you do. Good or bad the truth must come out. Especially if you are in a relationship with someone. If a man says he has a policy about not commenting on a woman’s wieght or hair he’s really saying, “Please don’t expect me to ever take notice of you, as long as you stay exactly the way you are.” Pack on 50 pounds, shave your head and see if he has anything to say :)

What do I know, I’m divorced.

SingleParentPlus2´s last blog post…Splinter Extraction 101

T May 25, 2009 at 4:22 pm

Personally I have noticed that I tend to enjoy men who are more detail focused. Sometimes its a good thing and other times…

Anyway, you still look beautiful to me!

T´s last blog post…Cautious Optimism

MC May 26, 2009 at 7:34 am

If I tell them I’m going to cut my hair, they always answer, “OMG, no! Leave it long! I like it long!” Whine, whine.

But if I cut it without telling them, they never notice.

What is it with men and women with long hair?!

singlemomseeking May 26, 2009 at 12:44 pm

MC: Yeah, guys, what is IT with men and long hair?

Guys, do you all love long hair? Tell the truth now.

SDMktg May 26, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Be careful what you wish for. In college I noticed a classmate was wearing the same clothes from the day before. She wasn’t amused by my attention to detail.

I tend to notice a lot and I agree your haircut is stunning Rachel.

Legal Editor Mom May 26, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Ok, I have to share a funny. My freshman year in college, my boyfriend and I saw “Against All Odds.” He was drooling over Rachel Ward, how sexy she was, and how he liked her hairdo. So that Spring Break when I went home, I got hair cut in that same short style. When he arrived at my door after break, I asked him how he liked my hair. He said, “It looks nice, now take it down.” It WAS down! When I turned around and he saw that it was really chopped off, he was pissed! Unbelievable. When I asked him about Rachel Ward’s hair, he said that was on HER, not ME. Hilarious. So yes, “overall” I’d say that men do like long hair.

Bill June 9, 2009 at 6:50 am