A new home for Mother’s Day

by singlemomseeking on May 10, 2009

Many of you know that I’ve been looking for a new home since April 1, when my landlords evicted us so their daughter can move in.

Thank you so much for encouraging me along the way, and helping me keep my head high.

After coming so close to bidding on my “perfect” home a couple of weeks ago, I realized that the neighborhood wasn’t safe for us. So, every weekend, M and I have continued to circle our favorite neighborhoods to check out homes for sale. In the meantime, I’ve been keeping eyes on rentals, too.

When I recently saw this ad for a little home for rent — in my price range, and just blocks from our current home –  I had a really good feeling. The current tenants generously offered to be there after work so that M and I could check out this cozy, sunny bungalow.

Wouldn’t you know, that afternoon, M had broken out in hives at school — for the first time in her life, I still don’t know why — but she held it together, itching miserably…thank you, my girl. (And thanks to all of you who kept me calm about those hives via Twitter!)

Yesterday, after M’s soccer game, we went to meet the landlord on person. He seemed reliable, kind, and hard-working. He’d already spoken to my previous landlords over the past six years, who told him that I was very responsible and always paid my rent on time.

Then, however, with M at my side, he said: “I want to give this place to you, but I’m apprehensive.”

I swallowed hard.

“Everyone else I’ve interviewed has a two-person income, and you’re one person. Are you sure you can pull this off?”

“Yes, I’m sure,” I said.

We talked for another half an hour, as I tried to reassure him. We took one more walk through the home, when I realized how disappointed I’d be if he turned us down. This just might be one of my favorite spots in the house, with its antique tub:

bathroom1

That’s when he turned to me said: “You can have it.”

Me: “We can?”

Him: “Yes, I’ll call the other folks and let them know that I’ve decided, which is always hard.”

I hugged M, and said to him: “Thank you, thank you!”

On that note, please come visit my other “new home” today:

After launching Singlemommyhood just five months ago, Dr. Leah and been blessed to get to know so many loving, thoughtful mothers. We really appreciate your comments and feedback. Thank you.

This Mother’s Day, we recognize the mom bloggers whom we read regularly online. Here are the moms we love in two parts: first here, and then here.

Happy Mother’s Day! — and please do something very special for yourself today, okay?

MC May 10, 2009 at 4:07 am

Oh, congratulations!!!!!!!!!! and Happy Mother’s Day!

Canadian Bald Guy May 10, 2009 at 5:24 am

That’s AWESOME, Rachel!! Congrats and Happy Mother’s Day!! :-)

Canadian Bald Guy´s last blog post…Mom, Music, & Cancer

SingleParentDad May 10, 2009 at 5:47 am

Nice one, glad you are sorted.

SingleParentDad´s last blog post…My Fairy Cake Protocol

Taking Care May 10, 2009 at 6:16 am

What a wonderful story. As one who went through raising three children as a single parent. I can relate to the joy you must have had in finding a home. Congratulations and may many more blessings of abundance come your way.

Legal Editor Mom May 10, 2009 at 7:02 am

If the rest of the house is as cute as the bathroom, I can see why you love it. Congratulations! And the upside to renting is that when something goes wrong, you can call the landlord instead of coming out of pocket. I miss those days. ;-) I’m really happy for you guys…

Shannon May 10, 2009 at 7:23 am

Happy Mother’s Day and congratulations about the house! How very exciting!

Shannon´s last blog post…Breastfeeding-At Least Please Try…

won May 10, 2009 at 7:24 am

Congrats, and thanks!

Duly noted and well appreciated.

When’s moving day? Oh…having just done it, I have one suggestion. Get a laundry basket or two and put “that day” essentials in it…bed sheets, toilet paper, towels, soap, toothbrushes, clean underthings, couple of sodas…anything you will be looking for immediately.

By using the laundry basket, it will stand out and you will easily be able to find what you immediately need.

And then pray and curse a lot. It can help too.

won´s last blog post…Reciprocity

singlemomseeking May 10, 2009 at 11:32 pm

Won: Awesome suggestion, re: the laundry basket and the must-needed essentials in it…bed sheets, toilet paper, towels, soap, toothbrushes…. Yes!

Erin May 10, 2009 at 7:42 am

I’m so glad you found a new place to make wonderful memories with your daughter in. I wish you all the luck with moving out and in. Thanks for sharing these single mom blogs, a lot of them I haven’t heard of yet! Happy Mother’s Day!

Erin´s last blog post…Happy Mother’s Day!

John F May 10, 2009 at 8:43 am

Congrats…your new LL learned a new lesson–NEVER underestimate the power of a single parent!

John F´s last blog post…Opinions Needed

singlemomseeking May 10, 2009 at 11:31 pm

John F, thanks for this one:

“NEVER underestimate the power of a single parent!”

krn May 10, 2009 at 10:09 am

What a cute bathroom! Love the tub, it’ll be heaven in there when filled up with bubbles for a leisurely soak. When I found our current adorable Craftsman cottage, I knew we’d be happy here. We moms can just “feel it” when it’s right. Wishing you lots of happy times in your new abode~

T May 10, 2009 at 10:53 am

Hooray!!! I’m SO happy that you found the perfect place. Looks like a wonderful place to take a bath…

Happy Mother’s Day! Mwah!

T´s last blog post…As a mom…

singlemomseeking May 10, 2009 at 11:31 pm

T and Krn: Any suggestions for bath relaxation? What kind of bubbles, scents, or….?

Kat May 10, 2009 at 11:31 am

Congrats! I love the new house, and yes, the clawfoot bathtub is awesome! I love it!

Kat´s last blog post…Happy Mother’s day 2009

judy May 10, 2009 at 11:52 am

YEAH!!!! YEAH!!!!

So how do we throw a virtual housewarming party?

GLSD May 10, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Happy Mother’s Day and Congrats!!!! Yay for you and M! XO

Mike May 10, 2009 at 1:08 pm

Congrats on finding a place. Places to live and cars are the worse to find. Usually because you have your back against the wall. Happy Mother’s Day.

Mike´s last blog post…Mother’s Day

judy May 10, 2009 at 11:12 pm

HOLY COW I just had a thought. Do you actually have a man to help with the move!!

Dang

singlemomseeking May 10, 2009 at 11:30 pm

Judy: It’s not clear whether the Man will be in town the weekend we’re moving… although he has said that he’ll help with the packing. Whew.

Mary Pols May 11, 2009 at 5:20 am

love it rachel, that’s just my kind of bathroom. can’t wait to see the rest of it someday soon. so happy for you that this turmoil is coming to an end. xo M

Vinomom May 11, 2009 at 6:13 am

Glad you got your new place! That had to be a relief! I read a lot of the moms on your list. Thanks for giving me some new Moms to check out!

T May 11, 2009 at 6:39 am

Believe it or not, when you’re not feeling well (like me today), add apple cider vinegar to your bath to pull out toxins from the body.

Scents? I’m a vanilla girl all the way.

Just not when it comes to sex! *wink*

T´s last blog post…My Mother’s Day

MindyMom May 11, 2009 at 7:04 am

Wow! Congrats. What a wonderful Mother’s Day gift.

Can’t wait to see more pics!

MindyMom´s last blog post…Recent Developments

Eathan May 11, 2009 at 7:31 am

What a great way to celebrate Mother’s Day. Congrats!

Eathan´s last blog post…Modern Single Momma Contest Winner

April May 11, 2009 at 8:44 am

Yay! I’m so glad to hear it!! Now comes the fun part – packing and moving it all. Flylady.net has some great moving tips.

April´s last blog post…Sending you elsewhere (again)

Issa May 11, 2009 at 9:10 am

Oh wow, Rachel — that is so wonderful! Congratulations!!! I dream of moving into an old Brownstone in Brooklyn one day with the classic clawfoot tub. I had one in the apartment I grew up in as a very little girl and for some reason that vision has stayed with me. You are an inspiration — because of this I DO believe that Theo and I will be taking baths in our very own Brownstone’s clawfoot tub one day! I’m so happy for you!!!

Issa´s last blog post…Balance

Samantha May 11, 2009 at 9:52 am

What a wonderful story. I can relate to the joy you must have had in finding a home. May many more blessings come your way. Happy Mother’s Day!! Congratulations!

SimpleSingleMom May 11, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Congrats! Talk about a happy ending.

QTMama May 11, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Things happen for a reason Rachel. I’m a big believer in this, and I’m also SOOOOOOOO happy for you! I love the picture of the bathroom, it’s awesome!

QTMama´s last blog post…Menstruation, Boys and An Ex-Thong Friend

Bill May 12, 2009 at 6:28 am

Congrats on the new house Rachel.

lovebabz May 12, 2009 at 10:37 am