The man I’m dating

by singlemomseeking on April 11, 2009

Well, here he is (part of him, anyway!), in one of the first photos he emailed to me. His silly, sweet side certainly comes through, don’t you think?

hmm-rachel

Many of you have pointed out, however, that this “new guy” really needs a name. So, I’m here to ask for your help: Do you have any ideas?

Yes, “Isaac” is fun — and it adds a meaningful, Biblical twist to our relationship, even if we’re not sure about God. But Isaac is not really him.

I’ve brainstormed for a few days and come up with some (poor) ideas. Help!

1. Wireless Man

He has ingeniously wired his home so that NOT one wire is showing anywhere. No kidding. Fortunately, he accepts me for being too wired in my own home!

2. Mr. Prosciutto

He has indulged me in many ways, including making prosciutto-and-cheese sandwiches for me on our first hike. Yes, we also had wine, chocolate, and some kissing off the trail…

3. Lucky Guy (my current favorite)

Remember when I’d I invited him to spin with me at the gym? (The “hot chick” incident was yet to come.) So, that evening, we’d both parked in the same garage near the gym.

Driving on the way out, I was in front of him. I would have paid for his parking, except that it had already been validated by the gym. So, instead, I leaned out my window and told the parking attendant:

“I have a big favor to ask. Could you please tell that guy behind me that I think he’s really cute?”

The parking attendant’s eyes got big. “Really?”

“Yeah!”

Ten minutes later, there was a text on my phone: “He says that I’m a lucky guy.”

The only problem with calling him “Lucky Guy” is that it sounds so darn presumptuous, don’t you think?

Sure, he might be lucky. But he’s still putting up with my neurotic weirdness and emotional ups and downs.

That’s no easy feat, believe me.

That word “husband” | Single Mom Seeking
November 3, 2010 at 7:20 pm
Getting married after a decade of single motherhood | Single Mom Seeking
October 4, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Sarah April 11, 2009 at 6:35 am

Rachel-

I just have to say I am happy for you! It’s nice to see that you found a Keeper. :) How about Mr. Keeper? I do like Lucky guy though as well. :)

Sarah

Mike April 11, 2009 at 6:49 am

I like Mr. Prosciutto.

won April 11, 2009 at 7:02 am

Call him lucky guy, and reconcile it in your mind that he is lucky guy because he is “really cute.”

won´s last blog post…Shuttin’ Down

Canadian Bald Guy April 11, 2009 at 7:18 am

I think he’d probably enjoy “Lucky Guy”. I know I would if those were my choices.

Plus…I have a hard time pronouncing “prosciutto”. Heh.

Canadian Bald Guy´s last blog post…Take me out to the ballgame…please!

T April 11, 2009 at 7:46 am

I like “Lucky Guy” too… because it reminds YOU that you are worth a man feeling lucky about.

Validation comes in many forms…

T´s last blog post…A typical morning…

John F April 11, 2009 at 9:40 am

Hmm. A thought balloon. Why not just call him “Lucky”? Might have many uses, like the weekend in Vegas, or that hot weekend when M is …oh never mind!

John F April 11, 2009 at 9:41 am

John F´s last blog post…Are You A Twit?

MindyMom April 11, 2009 at 1:17 pm

I am happy for you too! And I love that you want us to help you give him a name. Of the choices I guess I like Lucky Guy the best, or how about Mr. Bubble? (as in the thought balloon) What does he want to be known as?

MindyMom´s last blog post…It’s That Time Again

Mikethemasterdater April 11, 2009 at 8:46 pm

I think “lucky guy”is a keeper for a little while at least. Keeps him on his toes…
Lucky could be funny too, my neighbor’s dog was named that.

Mikethemasterdater´s last blog post…Does he own you and your self-respect?

singlemomseeking April 11, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Wow, Lucky Guy is certainly ahead…. I thought of another name yesterday, too: “Scorpio.” (He’s a Scorpio…. hmmm. Yes?)

Mike April 11, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Ok, not that it matters to me, but I’ll be the voice in the wilderness. I would guess he already has a name? I told my single mom to use my name. I have no problem with people knowing she’s seeing me and I’m seeing her. She just uses my first name, and that’s sufficient. Although most of her friends probably know my last name too.
I would just use whatever name he goes by. That is, after all, who he is.

avigail74 April 12, 2009 at 4:38 am

I’m lucky that I met Mr. Lucky! What a lucky couple. Now having said that…I like the name Mr. Lucky for Ms.Lucky!

Amy April 12, 2009 at 5:55 am

Good lord! He’s a Scorpio? Watch out Rachel! What is your sign?

No – I’m just being overly dramatic. But they say that Scorpio men are irresistable. You know, lots of good stuff, but intense.

He sounds like he is pretty confident and fairly bold – you could always come up with a name in that arena.

Amy´s last blog post…Journal 126: March 2009 A Long Day

Susan April 12, 2009 at 6:05 am

Aw, heck. He IS a lucky guy, so go with LG!

So happy for you, my friend. Hope you’re having a great weekend. Maybe getting lucky, too? hee hee

Susan´s last blog post…“Man, he’s good!”

Single Mom Seeking April 12, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Amy at “She was just a wish:” I’m a Cancer… Any feedback on the Scorpio/Cancer match? It’s the first time I’ve fallen for a Scorpio. Hmmm.

Single Mom Seeking´s last blog post…Who is this mystery man?

Amy April 12, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Here’s my disclaimer because I don’t want to sound like a total kook: I think horoscopes have to be taken with a grain of salt. Having said that, I’ve had an astrology book for years that has been dead on – especially with relationships. Here is what it has to say about your match. I’ll paraphrase some because there is no cover and I am not even sure of the author’s name (that is how used and old the book it).

Cancer’s sensuality is ignited by Scorpio’s passions. Scorpio’s jealousy will not be provoked because Cancers are loyal. Cancer’s tend to be possessive and this will in fact make Scorpio feel secure. Cancer admires Scorpio strength and Scorpio loves Cancers emotional committment. Both are very intuitive and know what will please the other. Together they can build a place where they are safe and loved. There is heat in the bedroom and theirs is a relationship of depth and intensity.

Okay – me again here. Just so you know – these are not generalized compatability statements. In the book, many signs are highly uncompatable – so it isn’t like the book puts a positive spin on everything.

The supposed reason that these two signs work together is because they are both water signs. My ex-husband was an Aries, and I am a Pisces – and our compatability was exactly as written. Lots of good – but the bad was bad.

So I hope this books info turns out to be true for you as well! Yeah!

Amy´s last blog post…Journal 126: March 2009 A Long Day

Legal Editor Mom April 12, 2009 at 7:55 pm

I give nicknames or pet names to guys I date and even my close girlfriends. It’s fun and interesting the names we call people and why.

Susan said my idea; I’d simply call him “LG.” But I like Lucky Guy just fine.

Single Mom Seeking April 12, 2009 at 9:08 pm

Wow, Amy, thanks for the round-up! Fascinating….

LEM and Susan: Great minds think alike? I’ve been considering “LG” as my top choice. I like the initials.

Mike: I’d need to ask him if he’s okay “coming out” with this first name. Hmmmm. Good point. Thanks!

Single Mom Seeking´s last blog post…Who is this mystery man?

Mama Dharma April 13, 2009 at 7:44 pm

Whatever you call him…he sounds like a keeper– as are you. Enjoy this wonderful romantic adventure :)

Mama Dharma´s last blog post…13 years.

Idate2009 April 14, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I vote for Mr. Prosciutto! I’m happy for you. I feel like my search for love has just begun. Right now I’m in the opening stages of doing the whole “on-line” thing at People2People (a friend of mine had some luck there and met a great guy), but I know how hard it can be.

I have my fingers crossed for you and Mr. Prosciutto Rachel! Best of luck.

tanasie April 15, 2009 at 10:04 am

How about “the biker” since you said he’s an avid cycler and you invited him to spin class….

But I can’t come up with a name for the guy I’m dating. He said, “Call me Mr. Big.” And I am so not doing that. That name’s taken.

tanasie´s last blog post…Pretty on the Inside

Single Mom Seeking April 15, 2009 at 10:41 am

Mmmm, the biker! I like that. And it’s so true….

Single Mom Seeking´s last blog post…Why I’m all over this spring clearance

QTMama April 15, 2009 at 12:27 pm

With that pic of him, I’d call him Bubble Boy.

I just cracked myself up. Seriously.

McBubble?
McLucky?

Mr. Rachel?

SMS Man?

QTMama´s last blog post…I Kissed a Toad …

Single Mom April 16, 2009 at 7:12 am

I also thought about Mr. Big, but I agree- that ones taken….

I like Mr. Rachel… funny & cute…

Single Mom´s last blog post…Extra $1250 to pay towards debt !!!

Lance May 7, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I always give my mystery women real people names, and it’s usually the first thing that pops into my head. It helps me to develop them as a character and it always flows better in the prose.