Eviction update

by singlemomseeking on April 2, 2009

Twenty four hours later — thanks so much to all of you! — and I’m putting my shoes on the right feet.

Some of you, however, said that you felt sorry for me. Please, no pity parties over here! I almost didn’t post about my eviction because I can’t stomach pity. Instead, feel sorry for those greedy landlords who never smile.

So, after getting the eviction notice, I called the landlords and nicely asked them for 60 days to move out. They left a message back saying they’d give me one extra weekend. Ha.

Then, “T” from the The Quest for T messaged me on Facebook to remind me to take deep breaths. I told her that I was still in shock. Life has been so fulfilling: my “baby” is turning another year older, work is coming in, I’m excited about this new guy

And then the eviction notice.

Haven’t I faced enough challenges to last me for a short while? Really now. What is the universe trying to teach me?

T reminded me to “focus on the love in your life and be grateful for it. Have faith…. And feel free to tell me to shut up!”

Keep on talking, girl. That goes for all of you.

But anger kicked in. I poured my rage into making calls yesterday. Neighbors, friends, and a couple of home owners (including the new guy and the Israeli ex!) offered advice. I also spoke to a tenants’ rights lawyer.

Here’s what I found out:

Because I’ve lived here for more than one year, legally I have 60 days to move.

With regard to their repairs, they are under lawful obligation to provide me with the nature and type of renovations they intend to do, and how long it will take.

Lastly, I’m researching whether they must pay me a relocation fee.

Thanks so much to Goin’ Crazy for this Helen Keller quote:

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.”

As I pack up our belongings into boxes, I’ll imagine opening the door to our new home…

new-home

Today, at Singlemommyhood, Dr. Leah and I ask how you handle those unexpected expenses, whether it’s moving fees or your kid’s braces.

We’d love to know!

Mike April 2, 2009 at 10:46 am

Good luck with it. I know taking action is always the best way to handle a situation.

Mike´s last blog post…It’s Deep in Left Field

April April 2, 2009 at 10:53 am

There are some great moving tips on Flylady.net you might want to check out.

April´s last blog post…Disney on Ice

MindyMom April 2, 2009 at 12:49 pm

60 days is SO much better than 30! Good for you for looking into it and getting results.

MindyMom´s last blog post…Sick, Snow & a Selfish S.O.B.

goin-crazy April 2, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Ironically, I am moving too. It is partly by choice. My landlords need to sell their house and I am not in a position to buy it.

I will be moving the beginning of May. My kids are not in school yet so I do not have that to sontend with. But I do have 2 of them (along with all their toys, etc).

I will send happy thoughts of a painless move your way.

And M is right…it is an adventure. Treat it like that and hopefully won’t seem so bad!

goin-crazy´s last blog post…Recognition

GLSD April 2, 2009 at 1:05 pm

60 days are better than rushing through 30 days! That’s great for looking into it and getting the results you needed to hear! Good luck!

T April 2, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Hey girl, how awesome that you are learning so much about your rights! Many of us don’t have a clue! And perhaps, you can write about this experience at some point.

It sounds like you’re doing exactly everything you should. I’m loving you girl… and I like watching you get all feisty! My sweet Rachel with a blind fire behind those gorgeous blue eyes!

Cheering you on!

T´s last blog post…Music to remind you… all is as it should be

singlemomseeking April 2, 2009 at 5:25 pm

Thanks so much…. I’ve spent a good part of the morning feeling very angry, after the landlords Express-mailed yet another letter to me.

But I’m channeling all these feelings into action! I appreciate all of the feedback.

PT-LawMom April 2, 2009 at 5:31 pm

Good for you for taking your time and trying to figure out what is fair and deserved here. Sorry you are getting short shrift. :(

PT-LawMom´s last blog post…Swoon

Eathan April 2, 2009 at 7:47 pm

I’m glad you’re doing your research. Breath deep.

I might have to call to give you some kind words.. :)

Eathan´s last blog post…Warning Will Robinson!

Single Mom April 3, 2009 at 6:19 am

Sometimes the things we think are bad end up being blessings…

Single Mom´s last blog post…NEW GOALS

Bill April 3, 2009 at 6:31 am

60 days! Perfect amount of time to plan a kick-ass moving out party. And I’m talking a “send the kids to grandma’s” type party. They’ll need to do renovations after this one!

Another idea to kick around is pulling a 70′s style sit-in/squatters holdout. Talk about making the news! Oh and when the news cameras show up, have some pre-made signs with your website name on it. Just like they do on the Today show. Guerrilla marketing at it’s best!

Kevin April 3, 2009 at 2:51 pm

I read this just as I found myself a new place to live in Austin and feel terrible for you. It reminds me of a few years ago.I was leasing a house and the owners stopped making payments and the house was foreclosed and I had two weeks to leave. Lucky for me, it was only me.

Kevin´s last blog post…March mileage and my next races

Lindsay April 3, 2009 at 7:05 pm

You go get your 60 days girl! I really think things will work out for you! Who knows, you might get a better pad that you like even more!

Lindsay´s last blog post…How To Impress His Parents

Nappy Kitchen April 5, 2009 at 7:44 pm

If I had read this yesterday, my response would have probably been comically tongue-in-cheek. But …

today at church, I learned that the “4 year old boy who fell into the family pool and eventually died” our whole city has been talking about, was actually someone my children and I met just a few weeks ago.

I shared pregnancy stories with his mom and made plans with his father to buy a few items from them.

My son played with him and his older sister. We just met them …

Hug M and know that things will be all right, Rachel.

Nappy Kitchen´s last blog post…Economic Horror and Nappy Hair