Believe in you

by singlemomseeking on April 20, 2009

Ever since I wrote about finding a big cyst on my ovary, you have been incredibly supportive. Women, thanks for all of the helpful information. And guys, thanks for your manly, good vibes!

Exactly one month after that first ultrasound, another was scheduled for last Friday. Every day for the past month, I’ve been visualizing this cyst disappearing. I really believed it. But as much as I can put on a good stoic front, I was scared.

“I’m a little nervous,” I told Chris.

That’s when he offered to drive me — and my full bladder — to the clinic, where the waiting room was packed.

How romantic! Especially after you’ve just downed the mandatory six full glasses of water half an hour before your appointment. If you’ve ever had to sit with a very full bladder and wait, you know how uncomfortable I was.

Finally, they called my name to sign the insurance paperwork. I waddled to the window.

The guy behind the desk handed me the forms, and said: “You drank all of your water, yes?”

“Oh, yeah,” I moaned.

Then he looked at me again, rather oddly. “If you need to, you can release a little.”

Me: “Release?”

Him, loudly: “Yes, you can release a little in the bathroom down the hall.”

Me: “Do you mean that I can—?”

Him: “Yes, but just not all of it. Release a little so you’re not so uncomfortable.”

I zoomed down that hall, without saying a word to Chris.

When I got back to the waiting room, I had a little spring to my step. Chris put his arm around me: “Did you release, love?”

If you thought that was tender, listen to what he said next: “I’ll come into the room with you, if you want.”

The technician — in her thick Russian accent — ordered me to lie down. That’s when Chris sat down in the chair next to me and held my hand.

The first thing the technician said was: “You did a very good job drinking all that water.”

Tell me about it.

And then she added: “I can see perfectly.”

“What can you see?”

The cyst on the right ovary was gone! Poof! Vanished.

Thank you to Kim Kelly of My Crew Magazine for inspiring the title to this blog post in her first-ever comment on my blog. After this weekend’s drama, she encouraged me to “keep doing what you are doing in a positive light.”

“If you and anyone of us believes in the higher cause, the movement of single parenthood, it is our children first. This type of banter back and forth is not a good example to our children… Believe in you. Period. The rest will come.”

Thank you.

Now, let’s hear how you believe in YOU.

For example, “T” believes in love – and meeting a man who feels the same way.

Canadian Bald Guy believes in being patient.

PT Law Mom believes in hurtling forward -- and just going for it!

Kristin from Better Now believes in running until she “can’t do it anymore.”

Depot Dad believes in remaining seated until the ride comes to a complete stop.

I’d love to hear one belief you’re holding onto right now, no matter how small or big.

Nappy Kitchen April 20, 2009 at 4:10 am

Whooo Hoooo! *THAT’S* the power of prayer, girl!

What I believe in … I’m not ‘religious’, I consider myself more spiritual. I believe that JC guides me daily. What’s cool about that is even when I do things that I KNOW He does not want me to do, He’s still there to pick me up after the fall out. I think that is so neat.

One more thing I believe in … I believe that girls of African descent should be taught to love their hair, skin, and features. Self love and appreciation is SO important for all of us, isn’t it?

Nappy Kitchen´s last blog post…Economic Horror and Nappy Hair

Kari April 20, 2009 at 4:18 am

Kind of what I hear about the positive thinking stuff. If you are positive then positive things happen.

Kari´s last blog post…I have it harder, you get a break…

debra April 20, 2009 at 4:58 am

I’ve got chills….wonderful news for you! I had an oncologist once tell me, during a period of ‘watchful waiting’ to ‘not worry about it’. He said he could prove it wouldn’t help, and rather suspected it might actually hurt matters. I took that to heart. Belief and faith are powerful tools if we trust in them.

T April 20, 2009 at 5:03 am

You go girl! Glad to see you bounce back. I knew you would.

Always sending you love…

T´s last blog post…Call me a cougar or call me romantic

John F April 20, 2009 at 5:52 am

Congrats! Is that the correct word? And LG–that went above and beyond!

John F´s last blog post…Cabo Cruise July 11-16, 2009

Single Mom April 20, 2009 at 6:22 am

Congrats !! The power of positive thinking & prayer does work !!

Single Mom´s last blog post…Extra $1250 to pay towards debt !!!

Dr.Leah www.singlemommyhood.com April 20, 2009 at 6:36 am

Giant weight off your mind!

What goes around comes around …the energy you put out to the universe is the energy that’s returned to you. I see it every day.

Dr.Leah http://www.singlemommyhood.com´s last blog post…Are you addicted?

singlemomseeking April 20, 2009 at 7:30 am

Thanks everyone! I still want to hear where you’re at in your daily lives… C’mon now, it’s not all about me.

John F: I know you’re holding onto some big beliefs… Single mom, Kari, Debra? Thanks!!

MindyMom April 20, 2009 at 8:28 am

That is SOOooo great to hear! Yeah to the power of positive thinking.

Me? I believe that justice will prevail.

I believe in standing strong when facing opposition from others.

I believe eventually the cream rises to the top.

MindyMom´s last blog post…Who’s Your Daddy?

won April 20, 2009 at 8:44 am

I believe that I can and am changing the course of my son’s life by breaking the cycle of abuse I grew up…against the odds.

I believe (and I wish you could hear me say this, so you could hear the right inflections; it is not as morbid as it reads) that my life is screwed. I accept that. But I believe I have the power to change the the trajectory of my son’s and future generations by changing his tomorrows through a whole lot of hard work today.

Yep, I believe I can do this.

And I am very happy for you clean bill of health Rachel.

won´s last blog post…No Words

PT-LawMom April 20, 2009 at 8:51 am

Hooray!!! That is amazing. Thank goodness. Last thing you need is one more thing right now, right? ;) And thanks for the linky love. Sounds like you have a sweetheart there.

Mike April 20, 2009 at 9:16 am

Woohoo! Congrats.

Mike´s last blog post…When Worlds Collide

Shannon April 20, 2009 at 9:43 am

Yay! This was great news today! So happy for you.

I believe strongly that my little girl will stay as nice and kind and generous as she is now. That’s her nature and no matter what other people say, I refuse to buy into the fact that she will instantly become nasty and ungrateful over the next few years. One only has to look at her grandmother (my mom) to see what the adult version of this nice child will look like.

April April 20, 2009 at 10:36 am

Congrats on being cyst-free!

I just believe in me. Faults and mistakes and all, I know that I’m going to get through this, and my kids, even with all their set-backs, will be okay.

April´s last blog post…Thank You!

Dr.Leah www.singlemommyhood.com April 20, 2009 at 10:51 am

Shannon,

Your lovely comment …well, I’m a bit emotional. I hope your mom knows exactly how you feel about her.

Dr.Leah http://www.singlemommyhood.com´s last blog post…Are you addicted?

GLSD April 20, 2009 at 11:03 am

So happy for you Rachel!!! I believe that everything is possible, as long as you stay focused!

MC April 20, 2009 at 11:24 am

Wonderful news! And LG sounds like a “keeper” so far :)

Canadian Bald Guy April 20, 2009 at 1:55 pm

I actually just found out that I’ve got a cyst on my lower tailbone. I’m seeing a doctor tomorrow about it. I’m sure it’s nothing serious (I think it’s a Pilonidal cyst), but with cancer running in my family it’s still something I’m concerned about.

But you know what? I’m going to maintain a positive attitude and just wait for the doctor’s advice. No need jumping ahead and getting all upset about something I have no control over.

Canadian Bald Guy´s last blog post…The 30/30/30 Plan

judy April 20, 2009 at 2:40 pm

When in doubt wait without worry and the answer will come.

50 is easier than 30 and better than 40.

Amy Sue Nathan April 20, 2009 at 3:20 pm

OK, I usually don’t get involved in online stories about boyfriends/husbands/partners but he sounds so sweet I want to know more and see a picture. C’mon!

I’m thrilled for you — now, use that visualization technique to envision a balding, tall, divorced Jewish dad near Chicago for moi. Would ya?

And I am steadfast in my belief that the book I’ve written will be land me an agent and sell. If I don’t believe it, who will?

Amy Sue Nathan´s last blog post…Happy, schmappy

Janet April 20, 2009 at 3:57 pm

So glad to hear that the cyst is gone and your positive attitude and presence are back! :)

Janet´s last blog post…Flirting — 19th-Century-Style!

Coachdad April 20, 2009 at 3:59 pm

As a cancer survivor, I am so happy all went well for you. Sounds LG is a good guy. I believe in staying true to yourself and do things that will allow you to look in the mirror with pride at the end of the day.

Coachdad´s last blog post…Bested by a Kindergartner

singlemomseeking April 20, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Coach Dad: I didn’t know you were were a cancer survivor. I think you must walk around with a Superman cape or something? Do you also fly? Wow.

singlemomseeking April 20, 2009 at 4:36 pm

Oh, Judy, please explain:
“Everything belongs to someone and if it doesn’t belong to you then keep your hands off it.”

This is your belief, yes? I’m intrigued… and you never fail to peak my curiosity, darling.

judy April 20, 2009 at 5:57 pm

some say it’s the teacher in me, I say otherwise:

that flower M wants to pick from the neighbor’s garden because it is sooo pretty she just has to have it

that convertible with the keys in them that I have always wanted that is sitting in the grocery store parking lot unattended

the recycle bin down the street in the neighbor’s driveway that has an entire ream of unopened paper sitting on top of it

the fight that my DD’s BFF and boyfriend are having (no DD it is not your business to mouth off to the boyfriend..yes support your sista’ but stay out of it)

the adorably handsome and generous married man who offered to buy me a drink or stopped to help me with my flat tire

the mother who is interacting with her child at the park for something or in a way you would not do
(yes you can smile and maybe acknowledge “I have a kid too.” but stay out of the rest until a call to CPS is necessary)

does this help?

artist victoria o'neill April 20, 2009 at 7:42 pm

wow. what a great story. maybe all that water you drank washed it away……ha!

artist victoria o'neill April 20, 2009 at 7:47 pm

hello there, nice magical story about the vanishing cyst. first you see it and now you don’t. Ta Da!

artist victoria o’neill´s last blog post…FREE

Jane April 20, 2009 at 7:53 pm

Hey I’ve been there..full bladder and some guy checking out your ovaries. Congrats! When I was young my favorite feeling was excitement.. that rush, but now that I’m older, I’ll take the sweet feeling of relief over adrenaline rush every time.

Jane´s last blog post…Jane needs a new pair of shoes

T April 20, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I’m just checking back in because I’m LOVING the responses to this post. Now THAT’S a great blog post Rachel.

I am thinking of you and ALWAYS sending you love…

T´s last blog post…The need to defend

Ameya April 21, 2009 at 4:06 am

Ahh, power of thought.. power of YOU! You go girl! Congrats on de-manifesting!

*I* believe that I can still conquer the world and do everything I want to do with this baby and a husband, no matter how many people tell me otherwise (since I’m 21 and some think It’s necessary to give up some dreams for others)!

Bill April 21, 2009 at 6:45 am