They found a cyst

by singlemomseeking on March 17, 2009

How’s that for a blog title?

Last week I had my annual OBGYN appointment. I’ve always been responsible about going to the doctor for regular check-ups — and I’m the same way with my kid, who had her annual check-up yesterday.

So, this was going to be just run-of-the-mill, blah, blah. To the women who read this blog: you know that you’re put in a rather vulnerable position during this kind of feminine exam, right?

So, there I was, laid out on the white tissue paper, with the gown falling off my shoulder, when the doc said, “Wow, you have a big cyst on your right ovary.”

“Excuse me?”

I had no idea. She pointed it out, and indeed, I did feel this odd bulge below my rib cage.

I know that ovaries on cysts are common, although I’ve never had one.

But I’d kind of been hoping to hear: “Rachel, you are the healthiest, most fit 30-something mom I’ve ever seen in my practice.”

I shouldn’t be worried, she added, but she’d like me to have an ultrasound to get it checked out.

So, this morning, on St. Patrick’s Day, I’m going to be putting on my green shirt and heading to the closest ultrasound imaging center. I need to drink at least six glasses of water before I get there — and I’m not allowed to pee.

Wish me luck with that one.

Speaking of which, here’s the cake we decorated last night for my Dad, who’s 70 today:

grandpas-cake

SingleParentDad March 17, 2009 at 3:11 am

Quality cake decoration. Good luck with the Ultra-sound and gallon consumption.

SingleParentDad´s last blog post…A Window Into His Future

singlemomseeking March 17, 2009 at 1:36 pm

I just wanted to thank all of you for your good vibes — and good luck! I appreciate this so much. Really.

Amy March 17, 2009 at 5:47 am

I’m sending good thoughts your way, Rachel!

Amy´s last blog post…Journal 125: March 2009 Going to California

MindyMom March 17, 2009 at 6:56 am

Happy St. Patty’s Day to you and your ovary! Hope it all goes well.

Nice cake!

MindyMom´s last blog post…Ex Drama…Queen

MC March 17, 2009 at 7:06 am

Oh, I went through that about 7 yrs ago! Turned out to be harmless. Apparently sporadic cysts are very common and usually harmless, but good doctors always insist on an ultrasound “just in case”.

Not being able to pee before and during the exam was absolute torment, though. When they say they want your bladder full for the exam, they really mean “so full you will be begging to go and you won’t even care if you pee on the floor in front of everyone”.

Or maybe my doctors were just over-careful or something. Hope your exam is easier!

singlemomseeking March 17, 2009 at 1:35 pm

Karen, I’m always relieved to hear from another woman whose cyst went away!!

OMG, you were right about begging to pee! That was the hardest part. The nurse gave me extra points for having followed the instructions so well and really coming in with a FULL bladder.

I was just hoping that the cyst had gone away. But it’s about three inches. I’ll know more in 48 hours. I’m silently willing it to SHRINK down and go away. Did you hear that Mr. Cyst? Leave. Now.

John F March 17, 2009 at 7:14 am

Come on—at least make it six glasses of green beer!

Good luck!

John F´s last blog post…What’s My Deal? Divorce And All!

Susan March 17, 2009 at 7:15 am

Good luck – maybe you can have some green beer to top it off. After you pee, of course.

Susan´s last blog post…Lucky 13

Bill March 17, 2009 at 8:01 am

Guinness has lots of water in it.

In all seriousness though, good luck and my thoughts are with you.

Mike March 17, 2009 at 8:34 am

Good luck with the test. At least you can Happy Pee Jig for the holiday.

T March 17, 2009 at 8:47 am

Sending good health vibes!

Great cake too! Happy birthday to your daddy!!

When you get your good health check, go celebrate with a green beer!

(Wow… that’s apparently not an original idea around here…)

T´s last blog post…Time… and the busy single mom

April March 17, 2009 at 9:17 am

Best wishes!!

April´s last blog post…Weekend Wrap-Up

Eathan March 17, 2009 at 10:27 am

You need the luck of the Black Irishman or Leprechan. I’m sending a gold coin for good luck from my pot of gold.

Keep us posted.

Happy St. Patty’s Day!

Eathan´s last blog post…What Happened In Here?

Erica March 17, 2009 at 10:30 am

Good luck to you!

Erica´s last blog post…Bullet’s Hurt Real Bad, Ma

GLSD March 17, 2009 at 11:32 am

Happy Birthday to your Daddy! Great cake! Looks yummy! Good Luck w/ the ultrasound! Keep us posted!

Tishia Lee March 17, 2009 at 2:20 pm

I’ve been through this. It was about 3 or 4 years ago when my doctor discovered I had several cysts on my left ovary. She made me have an ultrasound done just to check them out. They ended up dissolving on their own and that’s the last (and first) problem I’ve had with them.

Good luck today. And the cake is absolutely adorable!

Tishia Lee´s last blog post…No TV Necessary In My Neighborhood

SingleDad March 17, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Working hard on willing that cyst away with you … as many of your readers are. Also wishing to try a piece of that great looking cake …

SingleDad´s last blog post…Don’t do it!

RookieMom Whitney March 17, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Hi Rachel, I had one removed when I was 15 because it was terribly painful. My impression is that if it wasn’t causing me pain, it would have been harmless. It was quite big and squeezing my fallopian tube. Anyhow, I’m sure it will go away by itself as your cycle shifts.

RookieMom Whitney´s last blog post…What’s good

judy March 18, 2009 at 7:59 am

technology…yuck. The things in our bodies we did not even know existed before technology. Yes some of it is life saving but too often it provides us unnecessary angst.

Prayers your way for clear and calm thoughts during this.

Terry March 18, 2009 at 9:41 am

It’s a great blog title, and I hope everything went well.

Terry´s last blog post…His Ex Specializes in Harrassing Phone Calls

Shannon March 18, 2009 at 10:48 am

I had mine the day before you! I always have an ultrasound though…the internal kind. And I have some sort of ovarian cysts too. I get the ovarian cancer blood test, which isn’t the best screen but all they have available at this time. Wishing you luck!!! I was sitting in the chair dreading when I have to bring B to her first appointment like this.

Hanna March 18, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Stupid Ovarian cysts. My friend had a ton of them when she was doing her egg donation. They gave her medication and they all shrunk and eventually disapeared. Hope yours goes bye bye on its own!

Hanna´s last blog post…Sick as a dog