Single moms on American Idol?

by singlemomseeking on March 9, 2009

The Bachelor has done me in. All that drama, I’m so over TV.

By the way, have you heard that Jason Mesnick has launched Jason’s Place, which he says “is going to be the most AMAZING resource for single parents; it will be like nothing else out there.”

Oh please!

“I want you to know Moll and I are doing great,” Jason adds. “I cannot explain it, but this has brought the two of us closer together.”

Hey, Jason, since you’re having trouble articulating your love, if you ever need a writing coach, you know who to call!

All right, I’ll stop now.

I do, however, have some single mom friends who have not given up on mainstream TV. I’m grateful to one friend — who goes by Asian Single Mom — for the latest on American Idol.

Please welcome today’s guest author, Asian Single Mom!

Tomorrow night, television’s most captivating competition continues with the “American Idol” Season 8 “Top 12” – or “Top 13,” as announced during the shocking Wildcard show on Thursday night.

Guess who two of the promising thirteen contestants are? Alexis Grace and Megan Joy Corkrey, both single moms of young tots.

alexis-grace

Alexis, above, is the 21-year-old soulful petite mom with a stripe of pink hair from Memphis, TN.

Megan, below, is the 23-year-old “current” tattooed singer from Utah who echoes Nelly Furtado.

megan-joy

The interview vignettes show the mothers playing with their babies at home, and lamenting the fact that they have to be away from their children for so long. But, the temporary sacrifice may pay off in the long run, ensuring a better life for their families.

Now, I’m sure that across America, there are plenty of people clucking their tongues in judgment. Why should the most popular TV show showcase unwed mothers? Won’t it send the message to young girls that it’s okay to get pregnant?

I think it sends a stronger message: that despite the difficult circumstances these two young mothers face, they are working hard to pursue their dreams. And isn’t that the ultimate American dream?

Alexis and Megan join the ranks of previous single mother contestants, including Season 3 winner Fantasia Barrino and Season 1 contestant Nikki McKibbin.

We’re wishing them the best!

Will you be watching, too? Who are you rooting for?

singlemomseeking March 11, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Thanks Won! I just Ryan Sutter’s post, and I agree! Right on!

Ryan, former “winner” on The Bachelor, says:

“… You see love is not easy to come by. Sometimes it embarrasses you. Sometimes it humbles you. And sometimes, as in Jason’s case, it makes you look like a complete jackass. Jason took part in a show that preys on those of weak spine and spirit. He fell victim to a program of intense emotional overload intended to create a narrow tunnel of vision from which only rash and irresponsible decisions could possibly be made… Love is a powerful force, capable of providing us with both the cause for stupid decisions and the strength to overcome them. For Jason’s sake I hope he found it.”

Thanks Wendy!

casualencounters.com/blog/ March 11, 2009 at 2:30 pm

The thing is, people on these shows are virtually ALWAYS media-hungry showboat fame-hounds. It’s this endemic feature of RTV that ironically undermines its fundamental premise.

The only way RTV works is if the shows are made and no one ever watches them. Good luck selling that to Hollyweird.

casualencounters.com/blog/´s last blog post…How to Find Sex: the Art of the One Night Stand – Part 14 “Foreplay”

Rachelgab March 10, 2009 at 11:31 pm

Actually, I did think that Alexis was pretty good, comparatively, but I wouldn’t pick her just because she’s a single mom…On the other hand, single moms, teen moms, it’s reality and they shouldn’t be left out or discounted because of it.

Janet March 10, 2009 at 6:11 pm

Jason is such a media whore. It’s like he just can’t get enough attention. I’m going to have to follow that damn blog now just to see him make a fool of himself again.

BTW, did you see that Melissa from The Bachelor is now on Dancing With the Stars?

Janet´s last blog post…Feeling old, feeling young

casualencounters.com/blog/ March 10, 2009 at 2:48 pm

The current state of Jason’s site does not fill me with optimism for its future.

April March 10, 2009 at 10:14 am

Out of curiosity, I’ll have to keep an eye out on Jason’s site, although I think his actions proved that single dads don’t trump single moms, after all, as our culture generally believes.
I tend to stick to the talent when I watch AI. I’m not a big Megan fan, but I like Alexis. And I agree with your assessment: I appreciate any single parents, or kids of single parents that show that being raised by a single parent doesn’t automatically mean you’ll be a criminal (as you know who likes to say).

April´s last blog post…Pink Friday

T March 10, 2009 at 7:52 am

I personally love American Idol. My girls and I watch it every week! I’m happy to see the single moms go for it! Hey it worked for Fantasia!

T´s last blog post…Always Do Your Best

won March 10, 2009 at 6:54 am

Rachel,

Speaking of Jason, have you read Ryan Sutter’s thoughts on the matter? I’d be curious to know if you have and what your reaction to his piece is.

Idol?

Hands down…Lil Rounds!! No contest baby. They can call the rest of the show off as far as I see it. She rocks.

won´s last blog post…Oh Brother…

MindyMom March 10, 2009 at 5:52 am

I second Kat’s thougth on Jason and his new site. Please.

And for AI single moms – rock on girls!

MindyMom´s last blog post…Stigma of the Single Mom

Erica March 10, 2009 at 5:27 am

I know Scott isn’t particularly the best singer in the bunch, but golly it’d be swell for him to win AI.

As for the single mom’s – good luck to them! If I didn’t sing like a cat in heat, I might be doing the same thing! Maybe…

Erica´s last blog post…Bullet’s Hurt Real Bad, Ma

Canadian Bald Guy March 10, 2009 at 5:17 am

Any support or questions I have on single parenting go to one of two locations:

or

Plus there are a TON of websites and blogs out there that already exist as a support system for single parents.

I don’t need to follow this Jason guy just because he was on some television show.

Canadian Bald Guy´s last blog post…Vacation with M: Day Four

Apples March 10, 2009 at 1:26 am

I don’t follow any reality tv right now. But as for Jason. I think its fine that he wants to start his own website or what not but his comment makes me wonder if he did any research on the topic. There are some amazing sites community and resources already out there.

Kat March 9, 2009 at 10:46 pm

I can’t stand Jason. I hate what he did, I know most of it was planned drama by ABC and the producers, but it was crappy.
And what?
Now he’s suddenly an expert on single parenting and wants us all to come support him and his new site that will be “the most amazing resource for single parents”, ever?
Really?
Gag.

As for the AI single moms, good for them.
What they are doing I can totally support.
They aren’t in it to find a new love, they are in it to make their lives and the lives of their kids better, to fulfill their dreams, that’s admirable.
I haven’t been watching AI this season, but if they go further, make it to the top 5 or 3, be sure to let us know.

Kat´s last blog post…Bathtub stickies for the kitchen floor.