My Dad

by singlemomseeking on March 12, 2009

How can I get my toes into Pa’s mouth?

dad-toes-crop-01

That’s what my daughter’s favorite game with her Grandpa used to me. For a good while now, I haven’t written about my Dad. I just couldn’t.

That’s because last month, my Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer. For a while, we didn’t know if the cancer had spread — no, it hasn’t – so it was a scary time.

My Dad is going to be just fine — more than fine! — although he’s battling a case of shingles this week. We’ re all trying to get him to focus on the positive.

Because guess who’s turning 70 on St. Patrick’s Day?

My daughter has designated herself as the master baker. There will be green jelly beans and black licorice (Grandpa’s favorite!) decorating that big cake for sure.

Let’s hear about the Grandpas in your lives. I know there are some really good ones out there…

How do you define family? | Single Mom Seeking
May 19, 2010 at 8:38 pm
Wedding replay | Single Mom Seeking
September 27, 2010 at 6:38 pm

GLSD March 12, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Rachel, I’m so sorry to hear about your dad’s diagnosis. (My mom passed in 2004 of Pancreatic Cancer) I’m so glad for your dad, yourself and family esp M that it didn’t spread and he will be okay with treatment. My grandpa died before I was born so no grandpa stories from me. Take care! XO

Dr.Leah www.singlemommyhood.com March 12, 2009 at 2:13 pm

M is a lucky little girl to have such a handsome and loving grandpa.

My kids’ grandfather–my dad–left us way too soon. Also, frankly, a very handsome man. He is remembered with great affection and respect.

So happy to hear that “Pa” is on the mend. Sounds like a terrific birthday party. Can’t wait to hear all the happy details.

Mike March 12, 2009 at 2:29 pm

Happy to hear your dad will do well with his cancer especially after reading about him in your book. Not finished yet.

T March 12, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Aw!!! I love your dad!!! What a great photo of Grandpa and M M!

Give him Happy Birthday and Get Well Soon hugs from me!!

T´s last blog post…Adventures in Swimming, Part 2

Heather March 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm

I read this the date my father left to Drive home to Denver. My father is as close to a father my child has right now (single mom of a adopted child) Peyton calls her grandfather Papa. I have no idea where she got that from but we let her run with it. Last Christmas Peyton (who was three at the time) got a hold of my cell phone and hit talk. The last person I talked with was my father. Peyton got through to my dad and talked with him for about 5 minutes. About 2 minutes into the call my dad though oh great Heather doesn’t know she has the phone. Well they chatted sang a few Christmas songs and then said good bye. Peyton came to tell me she had just talked to papa and she was so proud of herself for making the call by herself. I couldn’t believe it but then check the phone called my dad back and found out in fact she had called him. Now all she wants to do is call Papa.

MindyMom March 12, 2009 at 4:21 pm

Aw, your dad’s cute. Great pic too! Happy B-day to him.

MindyMom´s last blog post…Conflict

BlueBella March 12, 2009 at 7:37 pm

Best wishes to your Dad my dear!

As you know, my Dad was just diagnosed with prostate cancer, too, and in fact just had surgery two weeks ago tomorrow. It’s been a tough road since his diagnosis, but even tougher since his surgery recovery has put a stop to my folks’ regular visits with my kids. We have all grown so close and especially my son is a HUGE Grandpa’s boy and will spend hours sitting on his lap, bringing him toys to play and wanting to follow him everywhere.

My Mom has come to visit twice since the surgery and left Dad at home, and each time my two year old twins pat the chair my Dad normally sits in to watch TV and say, “Papa”, looking for him.

I can hear my Mom’s voice crack when she phones Dad to tell him how much he is missed right now, but the best part is he will be well soon enough and is completely cancer free.

So these are merely bumps in our roads and thankfully we’re both getting to come out on the other side with our Dads on the mend, and many, many more memories to cherish with them and our kids.

BlueBella´s last blog post…Family Tree, Or Scraggly Bush

singlemomseeking March 13, 2009 at 8:10 am

Blue Bella: I was so hoping that you’d chime in! Thank you! Your comment really touched me.

This week, my dad wasn’t able to see M — for the first time in a year+ — and she was very concerned. She said, “Mommy, I don’t think that Grandpa should be living all by himself.”

Aunt Marge March 13, 2009 at 3:32 am

Dear Rachel,
What a sweet and thoughtful thing for you to do. Dad will be so flattered and honored when you tell him about entering the picture in the contest. (I won’t tell him anything about it) It is an adorable picture of both of them. M is and will be the shining light on which he will focus during his treatments and recovery; and we all know that before he is 70 1/2 he will be better than ever!
Lots of Love.

singlemomseeking March 13, 2009 at 8:13 am

For anyone who’s curious, that’s my real Aunt Marge! She reads my blog, which can be just a tad embarrassing, wouldn’t you say?

Hanna March 13, 2009 at 9:50 am

That picture totally makes me giggle! So glad your dad is ok, and I’m sorry you had to live with that stress of not knowing for a month.

My daughter calls my dad Grandpa “Tom Tom”, which I admit, I coached her to do, because thats what they used to call him as a kid. I’m so lucky to have both sets of grandparents around for my daughter to spend time with. Its amazing.

Awesome shout out to your dad. So cute!

Hanna´s last blog post…A Fool

Aunt Marge March 13, 2009 at 10:22 am

Dear Rachel,
Please don’t be embarrassed that I read your column. I know you hold nothing back when you write – you never have – and that is what I love about your writing – so honest. I admit that sometimes I read your column with my “eyes closed” when there is subject matter that I am “too old” to read about. And I try to only comment when I think I can add a perspective from the “senior” generation.
Lots of Love,

T March 13, 2009 at 10:43 am

Yay! Hi Aunt Marge! I’ve heard all about you! Still working on your getting your brother to read some Eckhart Tolle…

T´s last blog post…I am that

Terry March 13, 2009 at 11:00 am

I’m glad your father is doing well. Here’s to a fun-filled 70th birthday!

Terry´s last blog post…In Some Relationships, There’s Abuse and Then There’s Abuse

The Girl You Don't Bring Home to Momma March 13, 2009 at 12:06 pm

Happy Birthday to your Daddy !!! I also have a deep bond with my father and my world would not function without him in it !!! I hope you win !

The Girl You Don’t Bring Home to Momma´s last blog post…Stolen Idea: Flashback Friday

Aunt Marge March 13, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Hi T,
It was my 40 year old son that I was hoping would read Tolle, and I know he read some of it as he quoted Tolle in not reliving “his story” but “getting on with his life”…not sure if he ever finished the book. I have/had two sisters – both older. The closest I have to a brother is Rachel’s Dad, Larry. We are technically first cousins (our mothers were sisters) but at this point, our relationship is more like brother and sister and that is only one reason that I refer to Rachel, and her sister, Rebecca as my nieces…it feels like that kind of a relationship. Know Rachel’s “blog” is not the forum for explaining all this, so Rachel, please forgive us both for taking up your space.
Love,

Robynbeth March 13, 2009 at 9:46 pm

Thanks for the idea because I may borrow it. My dad just turned 70 in January, and I couldn’t have made it without him. He and my mother have been a rock for me since my divorce, and this could be a beautiful tribute. He just signed up for Facebook, and he made me his first friend.

Let’s salute these wonderful dads and grandpas who love without ceasing or judgment. A double cheer for your dad.

singlemomseeking March 14, 2009 at 11:03 am

Robynbeth: Wow, thanks for your sweet comment. Your 70-year-old dad is on Facebook? Amazing!!

And I have this feeling that you and I are the same age, too!

Double cheers for your dad, too.

Nappy Kitchen March 22, 2009 at 10:22 am

My dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer about 2 years ago. He had surgery and is doing just fine. He’s around the same age as your dad.

I took my son to see him after the surgery. He is was about 6 years old at the time. He was fascinated with all of the beeps and bleeps of the machinery. Then … he discovered the urine bag and started asking my dad very detailed questions about it.

Dad, trying to keep a straight face, gave him an extremely general explanation, but my son wanted to know more.

Finally, Dad could not stand the pain (uncontrollable laughter after surgery? ouch!) and asked me to take my son out of the room for a while because he could not stop laughing at the child-like honesty of the questions.

The pic of M and your dad is ssssooooo sweet and speaks volumes to the heart, mind, and spirit. This picture will be a blessing to so many …

Nappy Kitchen´s last blog post…Economic Horror and Nappy Hair