I met someone

by singlemomseeking on March 25, 2009

panathinaiko-stadium15

So, I’ve been hiding something — or, should I say “someone”? — from all of you, and I can’t stand it anymore.

I’m afraid that publishing this post might jinx what’s happening. Silly, I know. Here’s the story of how we almost met — and then finally did, for real:

In early 2007, a lovely, witty writer-friend named Ronnie Chater offered to set me up with a friend of hers.

She told me what a catch this guy was: smart, very funny, a scientist, a home-owner, well-read.

She went on and on about the fact that he was close to his family and loved by his friends. He was 44 years old, she said, and two years out of a long-term relationship. He didn’t have any children, but he loved kids.

Of course, I wanted to know: “Then why the heck is he still single?”

“No one can figure that out!” she shot back. “I don’t think he knows what he’s looking for.”

That last line sealed the deal. “No, thank you.”

I was in no frame of mind to date. I was still healing from my last break up. I was still unpacking my utensils in my new apartment.

That was that. Or, so I thought.

Jump ahead two years and I was recently in San Francisco for Ronnie’s book launch party. (Please, please buy her book, Waiting for the Apocalypse: A Memoir of Faith and Family, here!)

It was a packed event, but I noticed him making the rounds around the room. Actually, what I really noticed was what a big flirt he was (but then, so am I, right?)

He said “hi” to everyone with a hug and a smile. Eventually he stopped to talk to another writer-friend and me. I was having a hard time hearing above the loud music, and he seemed to be flirting with my friend.

Maybe not? Because she turned and whispered in my ear, “He was checking you out–”

He was? Before I knew it, the party was moving to a hotel bar down the street. That’s when I asked him what his name was.

Wait, was he the guy my friend had mentioned two years ago, “The ____?”

Sure enough, when I looked around, Ronnie was giving me that “look” that said, “It’s him!”

I took in all the details that night: his blue eyes, his wavy salt-and-pepper hair (okay, more pepper than salt), and his contagious laugh.

The more I talked to him, however, I noticed a geeky side. Yes, he’s a scientist, and one of those guys who loves data and figuring out how things work (which I find very sexy).

Then, it was past midnight. The rest of the party had gone home.

He’d missed BART, but told me that he’d crash at a friend’s. I said that I’d catch a cab back to my Dad’s.

Before we left the bar, however, he made a big faux pas.

Can you guess what he did?

Clue: He DID ask for my phone number. (He actually asked for my number about half an hour into our conversation -  and he called me later to make sure that I got home safely.)

P.S.
For the record, I emailed him that I might write something on my blog, and he begged me to mention his tight abs. (Hence the statue from Panathinaiko Stadium.) He signed it, “Mr. about-to-be-in-the-public-eye”

So, what did he do at the end of the evening?

Single parenting ends tomorrow! | Single Mom Seeking
November 30, 2009 at 11:26 pm
It all started at a book launch party | Single Mom Seeking
July 1, 2010 at 7:23 am
Cupcakes, vows, and all you need is love | Single Mom Seeking
September 14, 2010 at 3:51 pm
Snapshot: Are you dating again? | Single Mom Seeking
February 7, 2014 at 10:05 am

VJ March 25, 2009 at 6:53 pm

Well there you have it. I was expecting something on the order of a slight butt tap just as a ‘test’. Or some such.

But yeah. Reading along over the wonder & worry about ‘locked, locking’ & ‘secure doors & spaces’, you could kind of tell something was up, right? So Congrats on the start of a new adventure. Cheers & Good Luck! ‘VJ’

T March 25, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Oh… ok, he kissed you. I thought he did something like, say, ask about your friend T in Texas? Hee hee. Not that it would be a faux pas but a very intuitive question, definitely….

I’m excited for you sweet Rachel. But tell him that he has to fight me for you.

(just don’t tell him that I’m a big softie, mmmkay?)

Enjoy him!

T´s last blog post…Because my head is full of thoughts…

PT-LawMom March 26, 2009 at 4:21 am

Ooh, how romantic!! Yay. Can’t wait to hear more. Hope it turns into something super-wonderful for you both. :-)

PT-LawMom´s last blog post…What Meyers-Brigg Style is your Blog Persona?

Anita March 26, 2009 at 5:46 am

So happy for you Rachel. I am pretty much at the same place at the moment, and the butterfly feeling is just the greatest.

Kissing is so underrated!! Enjoy, I know I am!

Adrienne March 26, 2009 at 7:08 am

Good for you Rachel! I think it’s great. That kissing thing can get a little weird. “To ask or not to ask” for a kiss… Wow he took the “dive”- maybe that is a sign of how he approaches life: Seize the moment kinda guy.
Enjoy!

Terry March 26, 2009 at 7:14 am

Did he text someone? Check his email? Otherwise, I’m stumped!

Cool that you were born five miles apart. This is a great story, Rachel. Looking forward to hearing more (uh, if you’re willing to tell us, that is…).

Terry´s last blog post…Law of Attraction in Love, Marriage and Children

QTMama March 26, 2009 at 8:10 am

Dude. That’s like … I dunno. Kinda sexy. I dig that. I mean, you were interested, clearly he knew that. He TOOK CHARGE. I like it.

Yup. Can’t wait to hear more!

QTMama´s last blog post…My Mother, My Father, Me and My OB-GYN

Bonnie March 26, 2009 at 8:15 am

Guns and Bonnie here . . .been debating this on the morning train commute for two mornings. Did he put you in the cab to your dad’s house and give the driver $20? That would have been good. As Guns says always “make sure the mama gets home safe and sound.”

Oh Smooching is no big deal . . . yeah for a good spring kiss! I slept with Guns on our first real date. Good to know early on if they have mad skillz and go after what they want in the most charming of ways says me!!! Guns says at least you know he is into you! :)

Yeah Rachel!!!!!!!!

singlemomseeking March 26, 2009 at 8:20 am

Oh, Terry, it was a dive-bomb kiss! But worth it….

Yes, VJ: Did you wonder who in the world was able to fix that lock of mine?

Thank goodness he’s a guy who can fix things. That lock hadn’t been used in decades, and now it works!

The Girl You Don't Bring Home to Momma March 26, 2009 at 9:32 am

Slipped you the tongue?

The Girl You Don’t Bring Home to Momma´s last blog post…Random Thoughts on a Rainy Thursday

MC March 26, 2009 at 2:28 pm

A kiss! And without all the geeky angst beforehand! That’s so cool.

A direct and take charge kind of guy is majorly hot, IMHO. But only if you already like him, which of course, you do.

So nice not to wonder what a man wants, eh?

MC March 26, 2009 at 2:29 pm

*And* he can fix things? Wow2!

Wish I could find someone like that!

Single Mom in New England March 26, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Sounds like now you have a reason to lock your bedroom door! Hooray for you! :)

Melifera March 27, 2009 at 10:18 pm

New relationships are so exciting! Congrats! As far as the kiss goes… At the end of the day, it doesn’t look as though it was such a bad mistake!

Melifera´s last blog post…Buying an Obama condom and the conversation it started with my kid…

walt March 29, 2009 at 4:29 pm

Oh, this is definitely not a faux pas. The faux pas can be NOT going for a kiss when the stars seem aligned. However, I would never ask permission (because then you have to wait for answer), although I might say something like “I just have to kiss you right now.”

Susan March 30, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Ha – I wish I could remember if you told me what he did (or didn’t do)! At any rate, so pleased for you and to read this. You deserve it!

Hugs from PA!

Susan´s last blog post…I do, take two