Evicted

by singlemomseeking on March 31, 2009

home

This is not an April Fool’s joke.

Yesterday evening, my postal carrier knocked on my door with a registered letter from my landlord:

We are terminating our Rental Agreement,” it began.

“The reason is to allow for some remodeling, and following completion of that work, our daughter is moving in.”

It went on: “Plan on vacating the flat by May 1, 2009.”

They signed it: “Sincerely, Mr. and Mrs. B”

Sincerely my –ss.

I’ve been a great tenant: I pay my rent on time and have rarely called about repairs. I’ve never had a problem with a landlord. I’ve never been evicted. I’ve been a renter since I was 19 years old.

30 days. During the school year. In this economy. Heartless.

I called Mr. B. last night to ask him for an extension. I tried my best to be calm. “Mr. B, I understand that you need to remodel. But can I please have 60 days to find a place and move out?”

He said exactly what I’d anticipated: “I need to talk to my wife.”

Guess who wears the tight pants in that family?

I like to believe in the goodness of humanity. I’m raising my daughter to believe this, too. But this kind of selfishness gives me some doubt.

Yes, I did look up the law, and they can legally evict me for making “repairs on the unit that cannot be made with you living there” and moving “a close family member in.”

However, after researching all morning, I’ve found a clause in the law: 60 days’ notice is required if you have lived in the unit for a year.

Many of you know that I’m not one to give up. I’m trying to be optimistic and positive. M’s ninth birthday is this weekend, and we’ve got lots of party-planning to do.

I’m saving up all of my anger, fear, and panic for my friends and family — so that it doesn’t leak out in front of M. In the past 24 hours, so many folks have stepped up for us. This is what I need to focus on, right?

The above is one of my favorite corners in our home — although I recently re-organized the bookshelf, and it’s much neater!

Eviction update | Single Mom Seeking...
April 2, 2009 at 3:55 pm
New (school) year resolutions? A contest! | Singlemommyhood.com
August 16, 2009 at 1:38 pm
Married and living apart | Single Mom Seeking
August 22, 2010 at 6:46 pm

April March 31, 2009 at 1:58 pm

I’m so sorry to hear it! Something similar happened to us last year so I know how it feels. Absolutely fight for your 60 days and then accept all the help and support you can get from your friends and family. If you’re lucky, it may all work out for the best.

April´s last blog post…Quick and Dirty Update

SingleParentDad March 31, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Maybe it’s an opportunity to find an even better place. Not nice to be forced into doing something, especially something as large as this, but it will end up being a positive, I am sure.

Good luck with the party planning.

SingleParentDad´s last blog post…The Day Of (No) Rest

T March 31, 2009 at 2:07 pm

Oh girl… HOLY HELL!

I am sending you lots of prayers and good vibes. You know, of course, that this will lead to something better. Somewhere, somehow…

Deep breaths…

T´s last blog post…Spring cleaning and coming undone

Phil March 31, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Moving is a pain in the ass, but the bad economy actually makes it a buyer’s market. Hopefully, you’ll be able to find a good deal and move into a nicer place for the same price. Or talk to a realtor and see if you can buy a home or a condo, the interest rates are at an all-time low.

Mike March 31, 2009 at 2:40 pm

OMG that sucks. I feel really bad for you. Yeah there are a lot of rules about getting rid of tenants. It will be hard for them with you having a child and if you have no other place to go. However the tension that creates in your home is really not good. Wishing you the best.

judy March 31, 2009 at 2:53 pm

boo..you have to pack
yeah….you get to toss while packing

boo..you have to uproot
yeah..you get to start on a new journey

boo.. you may opt to angst for a while
yeah..you will survive and grow through this transition

yeah… you were evicted for their needs not because your lack of income during this economy and you can find someplace to live rather than a shelter like so many during these times and you and M will continue to eat, laugh, love and enjoy friendships.

remember your yeahs.

T March 31, 2009 at 3:36 pm

Ok, I like Judy.

T´s last blog post…Spring cleaning and coming undone

won March 31, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Wow! What a slap in the face.

I am sorry. I can feel your angst through the screen.

An incredible challenge…yet everyone is healthy and well. The rest is manageable.

And you can always come and gripe here to save M’s ears and worries. We listen and support well.

won´s last blog post…Learning to live

Canadian Bald Guy March 31, 2009 at 3:56 pm

Wow…that totally sucks.

You’ll find something great, I’m sure. Just stay positive!

Canadian Bald Guy´s last blog post…So I went out on this date…

jen March 31, 2009 at 4:52 pm

So sorry to hear about your eviction. Go for the 60 days and you’ll find something great I’m sure.

jen´s last blog post…The final instalment to building Lego Crawler Crane

Kat March 31, 2009 at 4:58 pm

I am so sorry you have to move.
This is also one of my biggest fears as a disabled single parent, being evicted or forced to move for some reason.
I don’t have enough money to afford most rentals in my area, and ones I can afford, are in no so nice sections of town.
I am so greatful I have an amazing landlord who works with me, but one of these days, I’m afraid he’s going to stop working with me, letting me pay bi-weekly and stuff.

Kat´s last blog post…Redesigned badly.

MindyMom March 31, 2009 at 5:12 pm

Whoa, what a shocker!

I’m confident things will work out for you and M.

One door closes and another one opens…

Oh, and have a glass or two or three of wine and the panic you feel now will be much less in the morning. ;)

MindyMom´s last blog post…Keepin Up with the Jonses – Social Media Style

Sandra March 31, 2009 at 5:16 pm

I am so sorry to read about this. Your landlord is being a douche nozzle. He could’ve talked to you face to face and given you more time to find a place.

It sounds like you already researched the applicable laws, so I really hope you use them to make his life a living hell like he’s doing to you.

I feel your pain. I didn’t go through an experience like this, but I did just move because my roommate got laid off and I had a month to uproot around finals. Moving blows, no way around that.

Good luck, we’re all rooting for you.

Sandra´s last blog post…Sunday is not Monday

meg March 31, 2009 at 5:39 pm

I’m sorry to hear that! I don’t think 30 days is enough time to find a place to live at all! Fight for 60 days. Hope it works out well for you.

meg´s last blog post…Chocolate Pudding Painting

Legal Editor Mom March 31, 2009 at 5:55 pm

This is awful but I am proud that you did your homework. Absolutely make them stick to the 60 days, and don’t worry about it until after the party.

Packing and moving does stink, but you’ll undoubtedly find a place that you like just as much or better. That’s how you have to look at it. Stay positive and it WILL work out. Sending you every good wish…

singlemomseeking March 31, 2009 at 5:55 pm

First, thank you, thank you!! All of you are amazing, I appreciate all of you.

I’ve been researching the laws all morning and now have proof of how illegal their 30-day forced move is.

Yes, another door is opening. I just need the time to find that certain, special door.

Lindsay March 31, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Wow, what a bunch of tools. 30 days doesn’t seem long enough to find somewhere to live, I would def. push for the 60 days. I’m sorry that this happened. I hate it when people are douches like this.

Lindsay´s last blog post…How To Get Your Ex Back

Amy Sue Nathan March 31, 2009 at 8:29 pm

Hmm, I smell a blog post. “How apartment hunting is like dating.” Can’t wait to go with you on this next adventure!

It’s all good, Rachel. You’re healthy, employed, you have family and friends. It’s all good.

Amy Sue Nathan´s last blog post…Missing Chicago brothers found dead in central Illinois

Kendall March 31, 2009 at 11:18 pm

There are no words. Hugs to you Ma’am.

But on a happy note, a very happy (if early) 9th birthday to M.

Kendall´s last blog post…Forward

Elise March 31, 2009 at 11:51 pm

tell them you need 90 days to take you through the end of the school year. Or, you’ll vacate in 60 if they pay you $5k. $2500 now and $2500 when you vacate.

Shannon April 1, 2009 at 7:49 am

Keep positive Rachel, (as I’m sure you are trying) and keep up the fight for the 60 days. You are entitled to that, after all. But maybe something super is on the horizon-a really amazing apartment that you will love even more than this one! I’ll say it…”everything happens for a reason”. After all I tell myself that each time some unpredicted thing happens…AND the bonus is, it’s another chapter in your story of all you have overcome. You and “M-M” are in my thoughts.

John F April 1, 2009 at 8:22 am

What is the bastard’s email address? We’ll fix him!

John F´s last blog post…What’s My Deal? Divorce And All!

singlemomseeking April 1, 2009 at 8:51 pm

Exactly John F! I really want to print out their full names here…. Thanks for having my back.

Katherine SOLOdotmom April 1, 2009 at 8:38 am

Unbelievable! I would definitely fight for the 60 days as others have said. Don’t give up and there is a better place for you out there… you will find it, I just know it!

Katherine SOLOdotmom´s last blog post…Single Mom, Fourteen… Again

goin-crazy April 1, 2009 at 9:00 am

“When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us.” -Helen Keller

This may be one of those opportunities, that although unexpected, is exactly the right step to take.

goin-crazy´s last blog post…Recognition

The Girl You Don't Bring Home to Momma April 1, 2009 at 9:58 am

That’s so horrible. I’m praying you’ll find an even nicer and bigger place for you and M. Don’t worry many many people are being evicted for not paying rent, you’ll find a nice place. Keep us updated.

The Girl You Don’t Bring Home to Momma´s last blog post…Observations from the El

MC April 1, 2009 at 10:08 am

How infuriating! Make them stick to 60 days (or suggest that they pay you an extra months rent for getting out sooner–extra cash is always helpful!).

At least it’s a buyer’s market for rental units and condos. Hopefully you’ll find something even better out there–I have my fingers crossed!

Robin April 1, 2009 at 10:25 am

Happy birthday to M, and if “wife” doesn’t agree to 60 days, then let them know what the law states. I bet they honestly didn’t know that 60 days is required. Wishing you both well. It WILL work out, but hopefully in the same school district if that’s what you want.

Robin´s last blog post…THIS explains Twitter.

QTMama April 1, 2009 at 10:46 am

Ugh, I’m sorry Rachel. What a terrible way to handle the situation by the B’s. I hope that this works out for you in the end, better than it does for them.

**Hugs**

QTMama´s last blog post…You Have No New Messages!

singlemomseeking April 1, 2009 at 10:56 am

Amy: Oh, I’d love to write a “How apartment hunting is like dating” post… but this is more like “How to find husband/house in 30 days.”

Anyway, I just got off the phone with Mrs. B., who claims that she didn’t know the 30-forced move was illegal. I’m sending the legal ordinance to her now.

Do you hear Mama Bear roaring?

Bill April 1, 2009 at 11:06 am

I had a nice post yesterday, but your site crashed and deleted it. DOH!

I’ll keep it short this time.

Sorry to hear this Rachel. Hope it all works out for the best though. Kinda sucks, what with the new door lock and all…