I used to be that woman who never got sick

by singlemomseeking on February 6, 2009

…and then I had a kid.

M was so stuffed up this week that I kept her home for one day this week. (Thanks to Dr. Leah, the Sanity Fairy, for reminding me about that age-old trick, when you steam water and have your kid breath in the steam. It works!)

I had so many colds those first few years of motherhood. I felt like that horse the farmer is considering taking out back to relieve its misery… Anyway, here I am, all stuffed up again.

In the meantime, the cute guy might have read my post because he called instead of texting! He said that he’s not going away this weekend, and can he see me?… With a runny nose?

According to the National Institute of Health:

• Children have about 6-10 colds a year on average, mostly because they often share space in daycare centers and schools.
  • Adults have about 2-4 colds each year.
  • In general, women have more colds than men – especially women between ages 20-30.

Here are some helpful tips to staying healthy, although I’d edit the “Cover Up” advice:

Instead of teaching your kids to cough or sneeze into their hands — yuck! — show them how to do “The Elephant.”

M learned this in preschool: instead of coughing or sneezing into the palm of your hands, you do it into your elbow. (Because who shakes hands with his/her elbow, right?)

M is a pro at this now, although occasionally I yell out, “Elephant!” to remind her.

How do you stay healthy in the winter?

Any tips? Or, is getting sick simply inevitable?

SDMktg February 6, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I’ve been sick more since I had kids than in all of my life leading up to this. The first couple of years it felt like I always had a cold and got the flu every month. Last year I had strep twice with a fever of 104 for 4 days straight and this week I’m battling an ear infection. I can’t wait for cold season to end.

Theraflu is my only recommendation. The hot kind. It tastes nasty but I always feel better. That and seeing a Dr. if a fever goes more than 3 days. (I hate going to the Dr.) I also like real pseudoephedrine, not the stuff that’s just called Pseudofed. Saline spray helps too. Hope that helps someone.

SDMktg´s last blog post…Bacon Desserts in Time Magazine

Kari February 6, 2009 at 7:06 pm

I ALWAYS get sick, of course I’ve always been a kid or a mom soooo there wasn’t much in between.

I’m a lover of Claritin D for pretty much everything.

Kari´s last blog post…Can’t even come up with a good title

Legal Editor Mom February 6, 2009 at 8:57 pm

The verdict’s still out for me on what works; I’ve been sick for going on three weeks! And it sucks! My daughter had a virus and so that had to wear its course, but I’ve tried virtually EVERYTHING OTC for my varying symptoms and NOTHING has worked…I did get a prescription from my dr. for the initial symptoms ’cause I had a baterial infection which they thought was strep and thank goodness, wasn’t. That cured that, but now I still have a sore throat, hacking cough, and congestion, on top of no voice. My dr. now recommends “Mucinex,” which I bought (to the tune of $14.99 for the small box!), so I’ll see how that works. I’ll also be following this post closely, taking in all the suggestions…

singlemomseeking February 7, 2009 at 12:03 am

Just back from seeing “He’s Just Not
That Into You” (I was disappointed!), still a bit sniffly… and jeesh, I feel for all of you!

The Doctor’s Orders:

SDMktg: An ear infection? Ouch! Please go to the doctor!

Kari: Eat well, lots of sleep, okay?

LEM: Thank goodness you don’t have strep, I sure hope you get a lot of rest, soup, and some good ol’ TLC.

I’m a big believer in the steam room, too! Just sweat it out… Okay, I’m weird.

Kari February 7, 2009 at 9:10 am

I will Rachel. Oddly I woke this am congested, with the ick nose, and plugged ears. I slept until 10:30 YIKES, and my kid LET me??? Odd again.

Soup it is today, and Claritin D.

Kari´s last blog post…Can’t even come up with a good title

SDMktg February 7, 2009 at 1:33 pm

SMS I went on Monday after a painful Super Bowl weekend (it started last Fri.) I’m on day 5 of 10 days on antibiotics. It’s getting better. Zyrtec helped a lot with the congestion. Now I’m hoping the cycle is over. I really don’t want my kids to get sick again anytime soon. Good luck with your cold. Hope you feel better.

SDMktg´s last blog post…Bacon Desserts in Time Magazine

Wondermom February 7, 2009 at 7:12 pm

My favorite is the cold relief soap and bath soak from http://www.bluehousesoaps.com (http://www.bluehousesoaps.com/catalog.php?item=170&category=29&imgname=images/coldrelief2.jpg%22)

Melissa is the mom that runs this company and she was a single mom for years. Now she runs the business with her new husband and 4 children. Their products are to die for! Especially the cold relief line!

Wondermom´s last blog post…Switching gears for a minute

Maggie Brown February 7, 2009 at 11:31 pm

You’ve got the “elbow” concept right! There is a new program out called Germy Wormy Germ Awareness for Germ Transportation Vehicles ages 2 – 7. The children are taught in a fun and exciting way to cough or sneeze into their elbows! This is a safe, mom-invented way to cut down on those germs being passed around.

Give kids a PLACE to give their germs to – instead of you!

CasualEncountersBlog February 12, 2009 at 4:15 pm

I never used to get sick either, but then I was exposed to Gold kryptonite and damn if I’m not a syphilis-infested no-go zone now.

CasualEncountersBlog´s last blog post…The Ultimate Sex Guide – Part 1 “What Women Want From Men”