A little dirt is good for you

by singlemomseeking on February 27, 2009

chitchat

If you read my last post about why you should wash your hands diligently, never mind.

This germ thing is so darn confusing. Right after I wrote that post, a friend emailed me Jane E. Brody’s New York Times story, “Babies Know: A Little Dirt Is Good for You.”

Say what?

Brody quotes Dr. Ruebush as saying that bacteria are everywhere: on us, in us and around us. In other words, these microorganisms are not the problem. To further discredit my post, Dr. Ruebush deplores the current fetish for antibacterial products that I praised.

Sure, Dr. Ruebush recommends that you use hand cleaners if there’s no water and you’ve just used the bathroom.

But, she says that the “wash your hands before you eat!” rule is pointless. What do you say?

Since ’tis the season, you might want to check out all this valuable content about colds and flu – sponsored by Vicks, presented by DivineCaroline – including a chit chat where you can win $250!

dadshouse February 27, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I agree a little dirt is good for you. Your body can only build up anitbodies if it has something to fight. If you live in a spic-n-span bubble, your immunities drop. Then one little germ can wreak havok.

I keep my house clean enough. I wipe down the kitchen daily after I cook. I spot clean the bathrooms as needed, and give them a thorough cleaning every two weeks. Same with mopping floors and vaccuming.

My kids and I never get sick.

dadshouse´s last blog post…Sweet Pick Up Lines for Any Occasion

Kendall February 27, 2009 at 2:22 pm

Kendall´s last blog post…TMI Thursday: Why Pretty Much Nothing Can Scar Me

Eathan February 27, 2009 at 2:24 pm

Evidently you can’t keep your home and surroundings germ and dirt free. I think washing hands is the core of good hygiene. I couldn’t eat if I didn’t wash my hands. Of course that doesn’t include me camping 10 miles away from running water and ect.

Kendall February 27, 2009 at 2:26 pm

Soap kills bacteria, even the essential ones that live on your skin that prevent infections. Hence why I don’t overdo it.

Kendall´s last blog post…TMI Thursday: Why Pretty Much Nothing Can Scar Me

jen February 27, 2009 at 3:02 pm

We wash our hands before we eat and are pretty clean but not too over the top about it. I don’t use anti-bacterial cleansers, and if food’s dropped on the floor we have a 2 second rule about picking it up. Our dog is also allowed in the house most of the time. Apart from an occasional cold we don’t get sick.

jen´s last blog post…A celebration of my son – part 1

John F February 27, 2009 at 7:13 pm

Just a sobering article. A mother developed a cold sore late in her pregnancy and her unborn child lost the immunity. A kiss to an 11 day old baby ended up killing her.

Scary stuff

John F´s last blog post…Sometimes You Just HAVE To Laugh

Laura February 27, 2009 at 9:48 pm

While I encourage my kids to wash their hands before they eat it is kind of a pointless excercise!

They wash their hands, turn the tap on (germs on tap), dry them (germs on towel), walk to the dining room while bouncing their ball/holding doll (germs), pull out chair (germs on chair) and then eat! They have accumulated so many germs on the 10 step trip from bathroom to dining room that they need to wash again!

Our house is kept clean. We are not anal about it and we dont have extra strength bacteria destroying cleaning products. I tend to choose the ones that smell pretty :)

We are very rarely sick!

Laura´s last blog post…A few questions

Apples February 28, 2009 at 11:48 pm

I keep telling myself “Shes just building up her immune system every time my daughter gets sick.” And if that is truly the case, it should be iron clad by age six!

Lance March 2, 2009 at 7:23 am

I’m down with the dirt. Here’s the original article for anyone interested, it’s good: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/27/health/27brod.html?ref=health

I have pretty bad allergies, so maybe I need to go play in dirt more often!

Lance´s last blog post…Top 10 Signs You’ve Become an Adult