Single parent dating sites?

by singlemomseeking on January 27, 2009

C’mon guys, can’t I write about The Bachelor now? Okay, fine then.

I recently did an informal survey among my Facebook friends about online dating sites for single parents — and I was surprised.

NOT one person had anything positive thing to say about single parent dating sites!

Nonetheless, today I was quoted in the Chicago Tribune’s Red Eye about dating as a single parent (or, trying to, anyway).

“One selling point for the niche sites is users understand the life of a single parent and are either single parents themselves or people who want to date single parents,” states Leonor Vivanco, who wrote “All You Single Parents: Click on It.”

Unfortunately, the single parents I’ve talked to say their main problem has been finding a good pool of single parents in their area. Sure, it only takes one… but if there’s just one other single parent in your 30-mile radius, what then?

Their other complaint is hearing from exactly whom the reporter spells out: “people who want to date single parents.”

Excuse me, but any single mom who hears from a man without children on a single parent’s website should have her guard up. Don’t you think?

If any of you have positive feedback about single parenting sites out there, please chime in!

Even if you’ve made a friend out of it — but not romance — do tell us. Which site was it?

If any of you have tried single parenting sites, let’s hear about them.

There’s a handful of them out there: singleparentmeet.com. singleparentsmingle.com, singleparentlove.com, singleparentmatch.com, singleparentdate.com, and more!

And if you’re inclined, also check out the feature story, “Single with Children: Dating World a Challenge for Single Parents,” in which I’m honored to be quoted alongside recently divorced Jessica Ashley of Sassafrass.

Don’t I sound so grown up?

“Now that she’s a mother, Sarah says she no longer goes out with smokers or unemployed guys…”

While we’re on this topic, Amy Sue Nathan also questions why only two single parents from the Chicago area were interviewed for the story. Good point.

T-shirt from Amazon.com says, “Single and Ready to Mingle.” Are you?

{ 1 trackback }

Online dating, you, and me? | Single Mom Seeking
October 18, 2009 at 8:54 pm

SingleParentDad January 27, 2009 at 4:36 am

I actually can’t give you any feedback, as I have not used any – and am unlikely to in the future – but I don’t see why there should be specific websites for single parents, that sort of limiting the pool to fish in isn’t it? Therefore making them a bit rubbish in the first place, no?

SingleParentDad´s last blog post…No Fun In Funeral

Legal Editor Mom January 27, 2009 at 5:09 am

First, congrats on being quoted in Red Eye. I saw the article yesterday and was thrilled to see YOU quoted. ;-)

I’ve said this a thousand times, and I continue to feel this way…I am NOT a fan of online dating, using ANY type of site, single, single parent, etc. I do understand how time constraints can limit a single parent’s ability to get out and meet other singles, but I am holding out hope! To me online dating is a crapshoot and you never know what you’re going to get. As I get older, I get less tolerant, and simply don’t have time for the lies, games, and people who simply can’t read or comprehend when I say I DON’T want something, and they respond anyway. I’d so much rather meet someone in person, where I can SEE him, TOUCH him (when the time is right), and better assess what I’m getting! Besides, when I’m out, my daughter is likely to be with me, anyway, so “he” will know that I’m a single parent!

Mike January 27, 2009 at 5:11 am

Never used a “single parent” site. I only used Match this time around and met my single mom there. I just read their profiles and made sure that the ladies I went out with (whether I contacte them or they contacted me) were mothers (as part of the screening process). I found that most ladies in the age range I listed were mothers, so it made my life easier.

won January 27, 2009 at 5:45 am

I think the whole thing as a rule is a bit creepy.

People can portray themselves to be just about anything behind the facade of a monitor. Yes, I realize the same can be said of face to face meetings. It is just easier to exercise discretion when you can see and feel their physical vibe.

The problem remains, no single men are beating down my door. (Anyone want the address…Kidding, of course)

So, I say one or two emails, max…then meet for coffee. It’s an hour out of one’s life. No big deal, no expectations.

Oftentimes, it’s the expectations that get us in trouble.

won´s last blog post…High, High…I am so High!

MindyMom January 27, 2009 at 6:40 am

No online dating for me. I did it in the past and found it not to be ideal. I felt people were misrepresenting themselves quite a bit.

MindyMom´s last blog post…Betrayal is Inevitable in Every Realtionship

Dr.Leah www.singlemommyhood.com January 27, 2009 at 6:57 am

Congrats on the mention. Single parenting dating sites . . .no experience to report.

Does anyone else remember Parents Without Partners?

Dr.Leah http://www.singlemommyhood.com´s last blog post…Are you going to see Inkheart?

Phil January 27, 2009 at 8:41 am

The problem with any niche dating site is that the selection is too narrow. You have to be very focused on that niche and not much else. Having all of those single parent sites is actually a bad thing since it spreads the users out even thinner – they should probably consolidate into one big site.

So Rachel, what is happening on The Bachelor this week? I can’t wait to hear about it!

singlemomseeking January 27, 2009 at 9:00 am

Jeesh, I was sure that one of you would have something positive to say. Any friendships made?

Phil: I hear you about consolidating the sites. Too bad you’re missing out on “The Bachelor”… his ego is growing big!

Legal Editor Mom January 27, 2009 at 9:09 am

I could add that I cultivated two friendships with males from dating sites (one is a single dad). But to be honest, they weren’t friendships I really needed at this point in my life. I have an awesome family, a small network of close friends (a few of which I’ve had since elem or high school even), and I wasn’t on the sites to find FRIENDS!!

wandamd January 27, 2009 at 10:24 am

For any traveler’s out there, you’ll get the reference here. They need a kayak-type service for dating sites!

I’m blown away at the crazies they have on The Bachelor this season. Honestly, I think when they bring-back a previous contestant it asks for more drama because the guys/girls think they know the person. I can’t wait for the episode where DeAnna comes back (did anyone else pick that up in the season preview?)

Emilyl January 27, 2009 at 10:39 am

I have tried single parent dating sites and had very little luck. There were so few in my area that it wasn’t worth it to me. I am not willing to move for someone. I did talked to a couple people but nothing ever came out of it. Personally I think, and I could be wrong, that dads are less likely to join a single parents site. It would be interesting to know what the percentage of profiles are woman and what the percentage of men is.

I have had much more luck going on dating sites and selecting “has children” in my search criteria. A lot more profiles show up in my area.

Emilyl´s last blog post…TMI Tuesday #2

Jen January 27, 2009 at 11:08 am

I never did the single parent dating site thing. Maybe I’m the odd woman out, but when I was a single mom, I didn’t want to date men with children. I figured it would be hard enough coping with my kids and an ex, let alone deal with his, too. I had no problems finding dates and eventually met and married my now-husband.

I DO remember Parents without Partners! My grandpa was a member and would take me or my cousin along for the events since his kids were too old to engage in egg tosses and apple dunks. I think he met his second wife there.

Clearly, I come from a long line of people who will do anything to get a hook up ;)

Jen´s last blog post…Legoland California | Legoland Carlsbad Discount Tickets

dadshouse January 27, 2009 at 11:11 am

I think online dating sucks. I’ve blogged about it a ton. As for single parent sites – why limit yourself to only dating other single parents? I’ve dated tons of single women who didn’t have kids.

dadshouse´s last blog post…Co-Parenting – How To Deal With an Ex

non-mom January 27, 2009 at 11:32 am

Let’s remember that the Green River killer, Gary Ridgeway, dated dozens of women he met through Parents Without Partners. So if you think you’re safe because you’re meeting someone in person, think again.

This is documented.

Attainingme January 27, 2009 at 11:55 am

Yes. I understand the concept of these sites and applaud it, however, i do agree that dating should not be limited to only those who are also single parents. I am not one, and I would happily date someone who was. With that being said, I would never join a site for single parents. I agree, there is something creepy about that (with the exception of someone who was unable to have kids)

Attainingme´s last blog post…Pet peeves intrigue me

John F January 27, 2009 at 12:22 pm

A lot of the single parent sites are owned by a larger company that offers other dating sites.

To fill their coffers they will cross pollinate profiles.

Mike January 27, 2009 at 12:27 pm

Rachel I can say many good things about online dating. Beats absolutely everything else (family, friends, church, bars, clubs, parties, etc….). I’ve had all that and found that the people I start out meeting “face to face” first seldom work out, because outside of how they look, what do I really know about them at the start. Met a lot of very nice ladies, including the one I’m in a relationship with (and hope to remain with).

But that’s just regular dating sites. Not the “single parent” sites.

T January 27, 2009 at 12:46 pm

Well, with the advent of the term “milf”, I get the feeling that some single men think single moms are hot. (Well, we are, aren’t we?) So anyway, it didn’t seem like there was much substance to the men (not single dads) that I saw on the single parent site I was on briefly. I am still online… but on another regular dating site…. and we’ll see if that works out for me. You know you’ll be one of the first to know!

T´s last blog post…J always has the right tool

Mike January 27, 2009 at 3:30 pm

T, I can promise you….single moms are “hot”. Being a single man (who just happens to also be a dad) should make me an authority on that.

judy January 27, 2009 at 4:48 pm

As I tell my DD anyone can be anyone on line….and that’s a huge hazard and risk in this techno age.

Amy January 27, 2009 at 7:46 pm

I just can’t do the online dating thing. As lonely as I’ve been and wanted to do something to meet someone – I am way to paranoid. I wish I was more brave about it – but I’m not.

And I have a highly over-romanticized outlook on love and probably even life. So I get all jaded on the idea of finding love by looking at profiles and going on dates (GOD I HATE FIRST DATES).

This is why I will likely stay alone now that we live in such a high tech world.

Amy´s last blog post…Journal 122: January 2009 I Haven’t Said Anything About This In A Long Time

SDMktg January 28, 2009 at 11:56 am

I’ve never been on any single parent dating sites but I did meet my girlfriend through chemistry.com. I met the last one that way too. Scheduling is a lot harder with kids for sure. Many times when I make a sacrifice for the kids’ sake I get accused of doing their mom a favor. That makes it even harder.

SDMktg´s last blog post…Sports Licensing & Tailgate Show – ROK with Nokona and DMC

Kat Wilder January 29, 2009 at 7:20 am

Online dating sites can only go so far. I can’t see why any single mom or dad would want to go on a site just for single moms/dads — it’s so limiting!

For instance, I’d be interested in men who are — widowed, never-married, divorced, single dads … etc. I’d be too limited on such a site when all I’d have to do is list “has children” on something like Match or Yahoo.

As for having your guard up for a non-single dad on a single mom/dad site — many men who don’t have kids but would like kids are open to the possibility of dating a single mom. I guess they’re just trying to work the angles; why not?

Kat Wilder´s last blog post…Does this relationship make me look fat?

QTMama February 2, 2009 at 12:56 pm

It’s interesting to me that single mom’s have this stigmata almost, when it comes to men. That I’m just out there looking for a “baby daddy”. That’s what I’ve noticed about the online dating sites, which is part of the reason they created single parent dating sites. ;) Who better to understand than another parent? Regardless, I’ve had good luck at none of them. I’m thinking of joining the convent actually. :P

QTMama´s last blog post…I’m Just Sayin

rusysqualty April 28, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Hi!

I’m looking for a LDS online dating site. I haven’t been able to find many. I’ve found some christian dating sites,
but I was wondering if there were any sites that were geared towards Later Day Saints religion. It’s hard to
find a lot of other LDS online daters wanting to chat – at least, I haven’t been able to. Does anyone know of any?

Like I said, I’ve tried some christian ones, but not really what I’m looking for. I really hope they’re out there!

If not a dating site, perhaps any type of chat or group related to LDS.

thanks!