I’m a sucker for single dad movies. Are you?

by singlemomseeking on January 22, 2009

I’ve kept it private until now, but I have a weakness for single dad movies.

Do you, too?

Although we can analyze to death the evils of fish tanks (yes, I have one), who didn’t fall hard for the overprotective clown fish father in Finding Nemo?

And then there’s Chicken Little and his attempt to save the world.

For M’s eighth birthday, she asked me to take her to Nim’s Island to see her favorite actress — Abigail Breslin — surviving on a deserted island with her scientist father and all of her animal friends. (Each discovers what it takes to truly become the hero of your own life story…”)

Definitely Maybe was probably too grown-up for her, but I loved it: a 30-something Manhattan dad is in the midst of a divorce when his 10 year old daughter starts to question him about his life before marriage.

This weekend, M was invited to an “Inkheart birthday party.” Her friend — who has read the best-selling trilogy by Cornelia Funke — is having a movie party.

Mortimer “Mo” Folchart (Brendan Fraser) and his 12-year-old daughter, Meggie (Eliza Hope Bennett), share a passion for books.  What they also share is an extraordinary gift for bringing characters from books to life when they read aloud.

Although I prefer real life dramas over fantasy (are you surprised?), I’m looking forward to seeing Inkheart, an adventure that sends a father and daughter on a quest through worlds both real and imagined.

I’ve already warned M about the scary parts — when a character is brought to life from a book, a real person disappears into its pages — but she reassures me that she’ll be fine.

Inkheart is in theaters nationwide on January 23th.

If you have any single dad flicks to add to the list, by all means, go for it!

{ 1 trackback }

Would you like to see “The Boys Are Back”? | Single Mom Seeking
September 27, 2009 at 4:11 pm

liz January 22, 2009 at 4:04 am

Jude Law in The Holiday. Yummiest single dad ever. And so adorable with his two daughters!

SingleParentDad January 22, 2009 at 4:50 am

How about the classic Sleepless in Seattle, and I recently watched ‘ The Pursuit of Happyness’. Top geezers, and Liam Niesson in Love Actually is pretty irresistible.

But they don’t grow on trees, men like that. Where would one find a great man like that? ;-)

And flip it, how many feel good single mom films can you think of? Rachel Weiss in About a Boy is my favourite.

SingleParentDad´s last blog post…Only If You Say Please

Amy Sue Nathan January 22, 2009 at 5:35 am

How many Disney movies have single dads — or remarried ones? Cinderella, Snow White, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast…

I love my Disney movies even though they make step-anythings look bad.

It’s not Disney but I also think Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (I’m older than you, do people in their 30′s even know that movie?) has Dick Van Dyke as a single dad. And with that car? I’d so go out with him! ;)

Amy Sue Nathan´s last blog post…Single moms represented on American Idol Season 8

MindyMom January 22, 2009 at 6:34 am

Oh yeah, Jude Law in the Holiday. Yummy.

MindyMom´s last blog post…Breaking "The Code"

won January 22, 2009 at 8:43 am

Too funny….

I read the title, and thought it said:

“I’m a sucker for single dad MOVES. Are you?”

One letter changed my thinking…

won´s last blog post…Hope Over Fear Part Two

Pat January 22, 2009 at 8:51 am

I just saw definitely maybe( french version) last night!

Pat´s last blog post…Motherhood and Change.

T January 22, 2009 at 9:32 am

Yeah, I was going to say The Holiday too. It was that movie that made me actually consider that I should date a single dad. I never thought of it before.

I did like Definitely Maybe as well.

Hmmmm… I’m going to have to think about this and get back with ya!

T´s last blog post…One and (probably) only political post

Bad Mummy January 22, 2009 at 9:37 am

How about I Am Sam? Awesome soundtrack as well if you are a Beatles fan.

Bad Mummy´s last blog post…Winter

Erin January 22, 2009 at 9:59 am

To Kill A Mockingbird hands down. I actually just wrote a blog post today about Atticus Finch…great minds think alike!

Erin´s last blog post…Famous Single Parents : Atticus Finch

Tricia January 22, 2009 at 12:26 pm

Dan in Real Life.

Tricia´s last blog post…OK so there’s no part II.

dadshouse January 22, 2009 at 6:28 pm

I liked Parent Trap, with Dennid Quaid.

There are tons of movies with single dads, aren’t there? I think it’s a film maker’s story-telling way of starting with a “broken” situation that needs fixing.

dadshouse´s last blog post…Perfectly Normal Date

Mama Dharma January 22, 2009 at 8:43 pm

Dear GOD, I must also chime in to vote for Jude Law in The Holiday. Words fail me.

Must also second The Pursuit of Happyness – that was a truly astounding single dad portrayal.

Have yet to see Definitely, Maybe but am adding to my Netflix queue right now!

Mama Dharma´s last blog post…MTM comes clean…