I made a vision board

by singlemomseeking on December 29, 2008

Don’t worry. Although this post’s title might hint otherwise, I’m not going to ask you to write down your New Year’s Resolutions. I don’t believe in them.

In case you haven’t figured it out yet, I’m the kind of woman who usually breaks resolutions. Imposing hard and fast rules on myself just doesn’t work for me (Is it the same for you? Welcome to the club!).

Instead, I believe in intention. As in, having a purpose.

During the holiday hustle, M and I took a break to do just that. I’m not what you call crafty, but I can manage a glue stick.

Every year at this time, she and I have sat down with old magazines to make “life vision” collages. It’s as simple as cutting out pictures to symbolize our hopes and dreams for the 2009.

Let’s just say that M’s collage is one big montage of candies and sweets. (Sigh.)

RJ Jaramillo, founder of SingleDad.com, is one serious guy when it comes to planning his life. Instead of making collages, he sits down with his kids to write “Life Plan worksheets.”

“If we discover what makes us ‘happy,’ we then have a direction, an action a feeling, or an event in our lives and minds that fosters motivation and inspiration with the rest of our daily activities,” says RJ.

“The first question is, ‘How do we capture our happiness?’ ”

I’ve tried to capture mine visually, through words and images — yes, that’s my collage, above.

Your turn: What makes you happy? (You know that I’m going to put this question to “T” when she visits!)

If you were going to make a life vision collage for 2009, what’s one image you’d include? C’mon now, just one.

If any of you make collages, send me the JPEGs, and I’ll post them here!

wandamd December 29, 2008 at 2:51 pm

not sure its a Life Plan, but more a goal…in fact I was telling my boyfriend about it last night. I recognized that due to my complicated life I tend to overthink the future and insert control into situations that are uncontrolable (ie relationships). My goal is to insert a “pause” before reacting to certain situations and make sure it isn’t misguided angst from the ups and downs of being a single parent. Its working, so far, as of late I have felt at peace which has lead to a great amount of happiness with my little one and clairty in my relationships.

Angie December 29, 2008 at 2:53 pm

I am actually working on my 2009 goals RIGHT now! I also don’t believe in resolutions, but I’ve been in need of some serious life changes. So, I’ve been working to get myself organized so I can launch my ‘goals.’ I have 4 Goals this year, basically I want to spend less, eat better, have more fun, and be less of a consumer. Really, they all go hand in hand.

I think the kids and I will create collages! And, the picture I would choose? Some picture that shows FUN! Having a meal together, playing games together, in one word? Family!

I love that you have M a couple times in your collage. And, I think, Barrack Obama and a suitcase will be in mine as well :)

Angie´s last blog post…2009 Goals – 1 of 4 – Food Goals

MindyMom December 29, 2008 at 3:44 pm

I don’t believe in making resolutions for the new year either, but I did “Place My Order for 2009″ and posted it to my blog. I figured putting it out there in the universe made it even more powerful. We’ll see…

MindyMom´s last blog post…Mental Health Day

Angela December 29, 2008 at 3:52 pm

Find a job
move out
file for that divorce
have peace
have peace
have peace
go on a date
have some fun
live more, laugh more, cry less.
Enjoy every second with my kids
worry less
trust that the future has GOT to be better then the past.

MOVE ON!!!

Angela´s last blog post…This part blows….

judy December 29, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Life Goal..that’s pretty darn big, perhaps the next few goals:

be late for just one appointment
write more
learn to shake the perfect martini
smile at the end of every day
by example be the woman I want my daughter to look up to, every day

won December 29, 2008 at 5:38 pm

If I could only put only one image on that life vision collage, it would be an image of a woman sitting calmly, centeredly (is that a word?) and peacefully.

How do I get to be that woman?

By continuing to work on my relationship and boundaries with my son. By reducing conflict. By finding meaningful employment, and lastly…indulging in a love life which has been non existent for years.

Yes, I said years…but it looks like that goal is off to a running start for 2009!

won´s last blog post…Date Number Two: Respectful today, serious tomorrow

Robynbeth December 29, 2008 at 6:39 pm

I am not looking for love this year, and this is the first time I have said that in two years. This year my goal is to believe I am worthy of the best and that includes health, career, and love. I will not settle for being second best any longer.

Great idea on the collage. I think I will do this with my kids when they get back from their dad’s.

BlueBella December 29, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Such a wonderful lead into tonights post: 2009: The Year I Don’t Get Knocked Up Or Give Birth – give it a read:)

My picture for 2009? Me with a slinky tanned & toned body lounging on a tropical beach. . .with my kids playing in the sand. Bliss indeed.

BlueBella´s last blog post…2009: The Year I Don’t Get Knocked Up Or Give Birth

laurakim December 29, 2008 at 8:49 pm

I have a plan for 2009 – the first time in my life I have a PLAN!!!!!

Its kinda huge for me actually!

What would be in my collage?? A house, laughter, maybe a man, studying and like M lots of sweets!

laurakim´s last blog post…The Good Enough Mother

Lance December 29, 2008 at 9:16 pm

I believe in goals and resolutions. I want to eat better, train for a couple of races, blow up my blog, and get into a GREAT relationship, among several other things.

Lance´s last blog post…Thought Leader Interview Series: Asian Rake

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity} December 29, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Here are mine:
Closer relationship with God, better handle on finances, more time with the family and the kiddos, less work, more cooking, and get married.

Yup, I’ve had get married on my list for eight years… but this year? It’s gonna happen. :D And, he’s the reason that the other goals are there adn prominent and being worked on. Sad, I know. But he’s a good motivator.

Oh, and I want to write more. :D

Heather {Desperately Seeking Sanity}´s last blog post…{Christmas Memory Encore} Christmas Day Traditions

Amy December 29, 2008 at 10:45 pm

First of all, Happy New Year!

If I had a collage I would have a picture of some peaceful sunset over the ocean or a flowered filled spot near a stream under a willow tree – basically a photo that represented serenity.

After the wreck that this past year has been – I am going to have serenity this year – come hell or high water….even if I have to wrestle it to the ground and pin it there!

Amy´s last blog post…Journal 116: December 2008 Pros and Cons

singlemomseeking December 30, 2008 at 12:07 am

Women — and Lance — you simply blow me away.

Judy, I want to “steal” this one:

“By example, be the woman I want my daughter to look up to, every day.”

Amy: I’m sending you serenity in a bottle… it’s on the way.

Laurakim: You made me chuckle with the “maybe a man.”

singlemomseeking December 30, 2008 at 12:10 am

Won: I think you made up the word “centeredly.” I like it.

Hilarious BlueBella!!

RobynBeth, amen to “I will not settle for being second best any longer.”

Wanda, that’s so insightful: “My goal is to insert a “pause” before reacting to certain situations and make sure it isn’t misguided angst from the ups and downs of being a single parent.”

Faye December 30, 2008 at 8:30 am

I would probally include a question mark with a circle around it and slash through it, because for 2009, I want no more mysteries in my life. Happy New Year!

Kelly December 30, 2008 at 2:29 pm

What a great idea. I’m with you on resolutions… just because the last digit on the date changes, we’re supposed to suddenly make all these big life changes? And nobody ever keeps them. Better to be more gradual about it.

My collage might have a picture of a skinnier me. Pretty common life goal, but it’s one I really need to start focusing on.

Kelly´s last blog post…Good Ol’ Chester Cat

dadshouse December 30, 2008 at 5:37 pm

One image? A big bowl of hot pasta!

Vision boards are great. Have you seen “The Secret” on DVD. There’s one section on them there. Good stuff.

I like M’s candles and sweets idea.

dadshouse´s last blog post…Limoncello Recipe

Vinnie Sorce December 31, 2008 at 1:32 pm

That’s so funny that you don’t believe in them. I just posted something on them and noticed your post, lol.

Vinnie Sorce´s last blog post…New Years Resolutions

from the desk of ...me December 31, 2008 at 2:42 pm

Thank you so much for sharing the collage idea. A lady at my church did one and I loved it!!! I love projects so now I can work on this today. Happy New Year.

from the desk of …me´s last blog post…What’s your platinum-level gift?

VJ January 2, 2009 at 1:55 am

I’ve got several thoughts on the deal. One is a general cleaning out of debris in every sense. Two is to start giving more stuff away. Too much clutter! Cheers & Happy New Years! ‘VJ’

Kari January 12, 2009 at 5:08 am

I really like this idea, and I hope you don’t mind that I steal it as an activity to do with my daughter.

I don’t believe in resolutions either. I do believe in goal setting and work towards those goals.

ONE thing I envision for myself for 2009? I envision a savings account, sad but tis’ true I have no savings account.

There of course are many other things, maybe we’ll do our collages in the next week or two (this week is very very busy) and I will post about it all.

Kari´s last blog post…Dental work, on the financial front