Men and their dogs, Part I

by singlemomseeking on November 7, 2008

I’d never liked dogs — that was until I dated the Israeli and met his true love dog.

I always thought dogs were needy and co-dependent. I’d had enough of cleaning up someone else’s poop.

I’m a woman who grew up with cats — I’d take a cat over a dog any day. So, I’d thought.

Then I met the Israli’s dog. The first time I opened my door, some brute thing lunged at me. She was a Rottweiller/Pitt Bull mix.

I stumbled backwards. “That cannot come into my house.”

“Don’t be scared,” the Israeli said, gripping her collar. “She’s nice. She just wants to smell you.”

“She doesn’t look nice,” I said. “I don’t want her smelling me!”

“Ah, c’mon, just look at her.” He scratched under her chin. He was laughing.

“It’s not funny.” I didn’t want to look at her. I didn’t want anything to do with her.

I was also terrified that the dog would eat my kid.

Instead, over the next year, my kid became that dog’s master. She was in control over this beast:

“Sit!”
“Down!”
“Roll over!”

I’d never seen this side of her. You go girl.

But this surprised me just as much: I grew to love that pup. Talk about unconditional love. I get it now. I do.
Recently, I picked up Wendy Diamond’s What A Lucky Dog! How To Understand Men Through Their Dogs, in which she analyzes 32 breeds for their most revealing traits.

A. has a pit bull. One of my celebrity crushes – Cesar Millan, a.k.a. “The Dog Whisperer” — owns several Pit Bulls, his most famous one named “Daddy.”

Hmmm.

Read the rest of the post here, at Kizmeet….

Photo of the Rottweiller/Pitt Bull mix with you know who….

{ 1 trackback }

The dog ate my daughter’s American Girl doll | Single Mom Seeking...
November 10, 2008 at 2:25 pm

T November 7, 2008 at 7:55 am

Very interesting….

I’m a dog lover but I’m not sure I would allow a dog to come between myself and my lover. Unless its a DAMN good protective dog!

No. Seriously. The dog came on dates with you and slept with you too?!?!

Hmmm…

T´s last blog post…Lunch, Dinner and Using protection

Eathan November 7, 2008 at 7:55 am

I love dogs. I grew up with 2 Great Danes. A few years ago I had a pit bull.(best dog)

I agree that your dog or pet says alot about a person. I’m glad you’ve grown to love the pup. :)

Eathan´s last blog post…Mi Semana Loca aka My Crazy Week

judy November 7, 2008 at 8:23 am

I’d take a kid over a dog any day of the week!!

mc November 7, 2008 at 8:38 am

I’d be very cautious about the pit bull.

I know I’ll get endless flack from pro-pit people, but some individual dogs of this breed can be unpredictable and several have inflicted the most appalling injuries on children–not just babies but also older children like M. Of course, unsocialized pit bulls have also killed people.

You don’t know how tragic it is to see a kid with their face literally ripped off by an animal. Once it’s gone, an asthetically “passing” repair is almost impossible.

I fail to see why people take the risk when there’s lots of other dog breeds out there that don’t have the bad record of this one. Why not get a lab, a collie, a great dane, a saint b, a doberman, or a german shepard?

I also think it’s a possible red flag if a man chooses such a breed. Is he insecure about his masculinity? Why would he need to own such a “macho” dog with such a vicious rep?

singlemomseeking November 7, 2008 at 9:16 am

T: Yes, it was very clear that if I didn’t accept the dog as part of the family, I should walk the other way… Of course, all of my girlfriends were beside themselves with this situation: “Your kid doesn’t come with you on dates! Why can’t he leave the dog at home?”

Thinking back, I was blind to a lot.

As MC pointed out, I think the dog clearly gave him confidence.

I’m curious what “pro” pitt bull folks have to say?

Dating Dads: Do you any of you have dogs?

Lance November 7, 2008 at 9:46 am

I’ve dated women who slept with their dogs and it sucked. I won’t do it again. I would definitely take a dog as a pet if I had a bigger house, and also so my cat would have a friend, but the dog would NOT sleep in the same bedroom as me.

Lance´s last blog post…I Canvassed For Barack Obama On Election Day

Eathan November 7, 2008 at 2:04 pm

I am “pro” pitt’s.. but I’m also pro dogs. Every breed has a irritable dog or you can train them to be mean. Dogs have personalities like humans. Not all of us are mean.. so not all of them are mean. My dogs have always loved my kids. They were very protective of them. Of course, I had family members who were worried because of the reputation that Pit’s have. I’ve had great experiences.

Lance.. I’d never sleep with my dog..and I’ll never date someone who did that either.

Eathan´s last blog post…Mi Semana Loca aka My Crazy Week

dadshouse November 7, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Pit bulls scare the crap out of me. I read stories all the time about them attacking some kid or old person, or someone in between. And the owner is always like “whaaat?” So, I guess a dog says a lot about the owner? And maybe a fear of certain dogs says a lot about me? Haha.

Other breeds rock, in my book. My kids and I LOVE bernese mtn dogs.

The Exception November 8, 2008 at 5:46 pm

I grew up with German Shepherds and Goldies – both great dogs. My daughter loves dogs but we are both owned by a cat or two! (They share our little home.) I can’t imagine a life wihtout a pet actually – but most men I know have dogs of all varieties especially rescue dogs from the SPCA.

I do find it interesting when men prefer cats or have cats without the influence of a woman! That says much more to me than a man with a dog and am not sure why.

A friend of mine (male) has cats. His girlfriend of nearly 2 years has a dog. he doesn’t want to live with the dog but it is getting to the point that they have to decide what the future holds. Does he give in and live with the dog or does he end the relationship because of the dog. Sometimes he says it is him or the dog, one has to go!

The Exception´s last blog post…Thoughts on Intimacy

Cynthia Gentry November 8, 2008 at 10:31 pm

I just realized I’ve never dated a man who had a pet. I wonder what that says about me. However, my dear husband is putting up with my cat, who preceded him and to whom he is allergic. They barely tolerate each other. Hmmm.

Cynthia Gentry´s last blog post…Obama wins.

GLSD November 9, 2008 at 6:33 pm

i have a shihtzu named mia. she is part of our family. she definitely thinks she’s human. i’m allergic to cats :)

SDMktg November 12, 2008 at 1:33 am

My kids have a sheltie that is very sweet and my mom has an unbelievable mix of golden retriever and chow that is one of the coolest dogs ever. I have a fish. I’ve never been much of a cat person and I’ve taken every “what kind of dog is for you” quiz available and it always comes up the same…I’m too busy to have any kind of dog and I don’t have enough space. Maybe when the kids are old enough to take care of one and I have a yard. Until then the fish will have to do. I don’t like animals in bed either but I tolerate the GFs cats as long as they stay by my feet.