Election day, it’s down to the wire

by singlemomseeking on November 3, 2008

Read my post at BabyCenter.com about why Obama’s win means so much to me.

More blogging friends who joined in this conversation, please check them out:

Honey and Lance: I Canvassed for Barack Obama on Election Day

20-forty: Will Obama’s Victory Affect Attitudes Toward Interracial Dating?

Miss Polyamory: Barack Obama – The 44th US President

Very Smart Brothas: The Shorted Post You’ll Ever Read From Me

Sheila Goss: Barack Obama Our First African American President

ANOTHER UPDATE, 11 P.M.

YES! Thank you, thank you… I’ve loved getting all of your teary, hopeful emails about our 2008 election.

I just emailed Eathan to let him know that although we might not always see eye to eye, I wholeheartedly love his election post today, about our future. That goes for our kids, too!

Eathan, who blogs from Texas, says about Obama’s victory that we now have the chance to expand “our dating choices, relationship choices, and our future. That idea exhilarates me.”

Me, too.

UPDATE, 9 A.M.:

Obama Mama just back from the polls!

For the first time ever, my sweet girl woke up at 6:30 a.m. ALL by herself, and then made herself breakfast, and got dressed… She came to my bedroom: “Mommy, I’m ready to vote!”

We rode our bikes to the polls and voted… She proudly walked into school with her “I voted” sticker.

~~~~

LAST NIGHT:

I just got home from leading a local single parents support group and I can’t sleep. Whenever I think about voting tomorrow, I get so excited. Then, I get all teary.

Part of M’s homework is go to the polls with me to vote tomorrow. She needs to write down five things she learned. Then, she needs to write a letter to our next president.

Just now, M yelled out: “Mom, I’ll be an early riser tomorrow!”

That’s my girl.

There are so many propositions to vote for/against in California, and I’ve got my decisions made on all of them. Whew.

P.S. My heart goes out to Obama’s family: he lost his grandmother to cancer today.

Again, I’m humbled by how important grandparents are.

Just today, I got “the call” from M’s school: she has lice, for the first time. I had to pick her up at lunch. After washing and more washing, my Dad came over to keep M company so I could get back to work…. Thanks Dad!

This photo was taken four years ago this month (!). Looking back, using my kid as a billboard probably wasn’t appropriate, but pink was her favorite color — and she wanted to wear this shirt every day!

{ 1 trackback }

My child asked to contact her father. Advice? | Single Mom Seeking...
    January 24, 2009 at 4:01 pm

Kendall November 4, 2008 at 5:36 am

Her shirt made me smile and laugh.

I have never had lice, ringworm yes but not lice, but working in an elementary school I know it’s Serious Business.

I remember I had to write a letter to Bill Clinton in 3rd grade after he was re-elected.

Now 12 years later, I wrote a letter to Senator Obama and somehow gathered the guts to e-mail it to him. The link’s below.

Kendall´s last blog post…"Yes We Can."

Carolyn November 4, 2008 at 5:58 am

I have also used my little one as a political billboard. lol. Not on an everyday basis, but she did come with us one to the debates in NH. We got the cutest pic of her in her shirt (which I made myself with markers-lol). I love the pic, just because it was her first rally… I can only hope she doesn’t resent it later when she becomes a (insert offensive political party) to rebel against me. :P

Carolyn´s last blog post…I Did the "Mature" Thing, I Guess

The Exception November 4, 2008 at 7:43 am

My daughter and I voted this morning when we found very little line. She loves to vote – and I love to teach her about all that goes into the process. It is such a wonderful freedom to vote knowing that we can vote our mind and our heart. It is also important that she know all that is required to make the decisions that support each vote – the knowledge of the government, checks and balances, history, and long term goals over quick fixes.

The whole process is exciting!

The Exception´s last blog post…Tenacity Required to Fulfill a Dream

Jim Everson (Depot Dad) November 4, 2008 at 8:03 am

Hopefully by the end of today, we’ll all have the feeling of having rinsed the lice away.

JulieR November 4, 2008 at 8:10 am

I rocked my vote first thing!!!!

T November 4, 2008 at 8:59 am

Love the shirt!!!

Ugh! I remembered having lice as a kid. I had LONG hair and loved to have my friends play with my hair. Not fun. Poor M.

Can’t wait to hear the results tonight!! Hopefully it’ll be a clear winner. Woohoo!

T´s last blog post…Tenacious T

Honey November 4, 2008 at 11:13 am

When I taught college freshmen during the 2004 election, I had them write researched arguments to a specific group of voters that they decided to argue why a particular ISSUE (not candidate) should be taken into consideration when voting. They gave class presentations on their issues, and then after the election was over, they revised their papers into letters to the new president arguing why he should make their issue a central tenet of his presidency. I don’t know if most of them e-mailed the president, but I encouraged it. I also gave extra credit if they came in with an “I Voted!” sticker. All of my 25 freshmen (we are talking 18 year olds here) voted except one girl who was an international student. I counted that day a success!

Then, the day after the election I was so depressed I cancelled class. Sigh…

Honey´s last blog post…Help! My BF Won’t Use a Condom!

liz November 4, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Okay, I’m so glad I’m not the only one who has teared up when I think about voting. I had a seminar to attend this morning, so I couldn’t vote first thing, but I went as soon as I was done. The whole drive there I was all verklempt. And I know it’ll happen a bunch more watching returns tonight.

liz´s last blog post…Torn

Eathan November 4, 2008 at 12:48 pm

I rocked my vote too! I hope this is a election that many of our children will remember for years to come. I have to admit, I’m happy, nervous, and excited. That’s a rare combination for me.

I hope I don’t have to stay up til 2am to get the results.

Eathan´s last blog post…I’m Not A Criminal

mc November 4, 2008 at 12:58 pm

I’m also teary over this election. I was talking to my kids at dinner last night, told them to make sure to remember this momentous day, got all choked up.

They took it all in–their weird old Mom, my teary-eyed sermon.

They live in a very different world than the one I grew up in. Almost half their school friends are immigrants and racial, religious, and cultural differences are widespread. They can’t imagine another world, can’t imagine the discrimination still present elsewhere.

I seriously thought this day wouldn’t come for a long, long time. I remember the racial strife of the 60′s…! It’s not that long ago—within one lifetime (mine). Truly amazing.

dadshouse November 4, 2008 at 1:18 pm

How great that you guys biked to the polls. Very green of you! I bike everywhere now. I have a basket on my beach cruiser, and you’d be amazed how many groceries it holds.

Here’s to good election tidings!

dadshouse´s last blog post…Meeting Women the Old Fashioned Way

Andrea November 4, 2008 at 1:51 pm

What an exciting day! What did she learn at the polls?

My son learned there is a bake sale and he got to buy a chocolate muffin and it was delicious.

Andrea´s last blog post…Winter means we have to get creative…

Amy November 4, 2008 at 4:02 pm

Sadie and I just got back from the polls – we walk. And I am furious.

First let me say this – good for those of you who take your kids and teach them about voting.

I stood behind at least three voters who had no idea how to vote. Now – that is not what makes me mad. Everyone has a first time – I had a first time – and it is good that people ask questions and get answers. And if you’ve never seen a ballot – it could be intimidating. But one gentleman said “I want to vote for Obama – can I just mark Republican?” I wanted to cry. I am all for new voters – but for pete’s sake! When we register new voters we should be giving out some education. This man could have just voted straight ticket Republican even though his intention was to vote for the Democratic candidate!
    And the people running my polling place were having a loud conversation about the candidates! How inappropriate!
    Anyway – I usually love voting – I love the ritual. But this year – after being phone stalked for weeks by people trying to get me to vote early and then this – I am a bit jaded.

Sorry to poop on everyone’s good experience – I just had to get that out!

Amy´s last blog post…Journal 110: October 2008 And Lastly, "Lastdays"

singlemomseeking November 4, 2008 at 5:53 pm

Amy: Unbelievably, I had a similar experience!

Maybe it’s because I voted in a different polling place this year… or maybe it really is because there were people there who had NEVER voted.

This one woman had to re-do her ballot five times. The volunteers were really helpful, but I could tell they were getting impatient… this older woman kept marking two or more boxes when it said “select one.”

I think that learning how to vote should be a requirement in school. Yes?

Kendall November 4, 2008 at 6:04 pm

In answer to your question Ma’am, yes I did send it to both Senator Obama and the News & Observer newspaper.

Kendall´s last blog post…Mutación Memetic Parte Tres: Blogschmear Mish Mash

Crazy Computer Dad November 5, 2008 at 4:06 am

I’ll be very happy when an election will no longer be considered historical simply because of the race or gender of the candidates.

Kelly November 5, 2008 at 7:30 am

President Obama! Today is a good day. I’m so excited about our future.

Kelly´s last blog post…History Has Been Made

ben leefield November 5, 2008 at 7:50 am

Hi Rachel

Huge congratulations on the Obama win. I think he has given a lot of people in this world hope that things are going to change for the better.

My favourite quote was the one that went something like “There are no red states, there are no blue states, there is just the United States”. What a great orator.

Enjoy the next 8 years!

Eathan November 5, 2008 at 8:49 am

I have soo many great stories and experiences about last night. I decided to go out and get some feed back from local strangers. The response varied, but the one that stays in my memory was 2 Persian women who have been in the USA since their teens. They stopped by to have a glass of wine on the way home… they were in tears. They were so happy.

Even in the heart of republican-land.. there are plenty of great people. :)

Eathan´s last blog post…Barack Obama And IDW

mommymae November 5, 2008 at 1:00 pm

my belgian friend, who is the head of the belgians for obama group, wrote me last night to tell me that we’ve given back dignity and hope to ourselves and the world.

i couldn’t agree more.

mommymae´s last blog post…president obama

Legal Editor Mom November 5, 2008 at 2:54 pm

I want to piggyback off Crazy Computer Dad’s comment because while of course it is a historical event because Obama is a black man, this election really was not about race. The people who made it about race are the true racists in this country. e.g., the Republicans who probably would have backed Obama had he been white, but just couldn’t bring themselves to vote for him because he is black. I pray for those people…

It was reported that 61% of white Americans voted for Obama, while only 3% of blacks voted for McCain.

As a multi-ethnic, multicultural woman myself, I strongly believe that Obama personifies multiculturalism (as evidenced by his wide range of supporters) and I am hopeful that he will do a lot for race relations in this country.

singlemomseeking November 5, 2008 at 3:12 pm

LEM: I’ve been thinking about how to respond to CCD’s comment, and you said it much better than I could!

In my own life, I’ve always been very liberal. Since the first time I voted at age 18.

I voted for Obama because he seems to have the same values/vision I do. I’d venture to say the same for everyone in my community who voted for him.

I didn’t vote for Obama because he’s biracial; or because he was raised by a single mom. But, yes, those particular facts have certainly made this electoral outcome very emotional for me.

Anyone else? Want to add your two cents?

Mommy to the Monsters November 5, 2008 at 5:33 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for stopping my blog and for all the compliments….I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!

I stop by all the time…

Mommy to the Monsters´s last blog post…The Power of Prayer and Faith

NappyKitchen November 5, 2008 at 11:04 pm

My son (7 years old) wrote to Barack about a week and a half ago. I told him that “Barack would read it, but may not be able to response because of all of the oodles of noodles of letter sent to him.”

Saturday my son got a response, personalized with his name and our address. He was floored and so was I. He’s going to frame it.

He went with me to vote. He was elated and so was I.

NappyKitchen´s last blog post…Sasha and Malia Obama’s Nappy Hair