Seriously, who do you really think is going to win the elections?

by singlemomseeking on October 3, 2008

fav-m-valeria

I’m frazzled. Is it the economy? The elections? A mix of both?

At M’s Back to School Night yesterday, I looked around the room. It was an inspiring, educational night — but I noticed that everyone, especially yours truly, looked so exhausted.

Most of the parents had listened to the debates in their cars, on their way to school. It’s all we could talk about in the hallway. One of my favorite dads in the class told me I had to visit his favorite site on the elections, FiveThirtyEight.com.

I did. Wow. This site’s founder, Nate Silver, is actually a baseball stat star.

Nate says that “both baseball and politics are data-driven industries.” His mission is to give you the best possible objective assessment of the likely outcome of upcoming elections.”

According to Nate Silver, Obama will win.

What do you think?

One month from today, we’ll have a new president.

Will Obama be our next leader? Or, McCain?

If you think about your vote, as well as your friends’ votes, your family’s votes, your neighbors’ votes…What’s your verdict?

I’m really curious. Even if you don’t agree with me — and you’re voting for McCain — I want to hear from you. Tell me why.

This Sunday, I’m devoting the entire day volunteering for Obama’s campaign. I simply have to. Has anyone been volunteering?

If you want another, uh, special take on the elections, be sure to visit Mommy Pie today. (My grandparents in Florida are not alive anymore, and I’m 99 percent sure that my Uncle Norman is voting for McCain. Uncle Norman?)

One of my favorite photos of M, taken last year (tooth missing!) with one of her best friends. My kid was born into the Bush era and raised in it. I want her future to be different.

{ 1 trackback }

What my family is doing to help Obama win | Single Mom Seeking...
October 14, 2008 at 12:26 pm

judy October 3, 2008 at 5:28 pm

I recently thought how cool it was that you stayed away from politics…oh well…..

I loved the debate. My daughter’s extra credit came from her math teacher…write down all numbers and math related terms that are used to better understand the impact of math in your life.

My only question is if both VP’s agree that they both are against gay marriages yet uphold the gay’s rights to insurance and such what happened to Obama’s gay backing?

singlemomseeking October 3, 2008 at 6:05 pm

Judy, I tried to keep politics out of the blog. But I just can’t keep my mouth shut anymore. Hope you understand. And keep comin’ back!

Love the extra credit. Great idea.

Phil October 3, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Great link to the 538 site – I follow electoral-vote and political wire, both get links in 538.

Like 538 is showing, unless something drastic happens, Obama is a lock.

The question back to you SMS is (and don’t get me wrong, I’m as excited as anyone about an Obama presidency) – are you prepared to be disappointed?
Unfortunately in 4 years, we won’t be living in a different world. The booming 90′s aren’t coming back no matter who’s in office. This world has major problems which can’t be fixed in a few years.

Legal Editor Mom October 3, 2008 at 8:06 pm

SMS, I’m with you on trying to keep quiet about politics yet not being able to. There’s just sooo much at stake, nd I’m feeling frazzled to. The economy has affected just about everyone I know in some form or fashion, yet we do have something to be hopeful about.

I totally agree with Phil that the nation’s problems cannot be solved in a few years. Worse still, is that even if Obama is elected, and I believe he will be, he will be harshly criticized for his inability to solve the messes that are a direct result of the last eight years and cannot be easily repaired, no matter who wins!

Yet I’m rooting for him with everything that I have, and I truly believe that he’s the right person to lead the country at this time. He is in touch with middle class Americans, and he offers a rare opportunity for the country and the world to do better. It deeply saddens me that conservatives can’t see what he stands for (and ultimately why he is so popular), and racists can’t see past his color. It’s tragic that some would rather vote for McCain and his Clueless sidekick, rather than wake up and admit that he’s the better person for the job.

He is a remarkable human being; not perfect, but remarkably stunning. And genuine. And best of all, he attacks the issues, not the opponent. I like just about everything that he stands for.

The fact that McCain has conceded Michigan and PA shows Obama with a steady lead for the past month doesn’t bode well for McCain, nor the fact that all the battleground states are slipping right into his back pocket. The gap is widening day-by-day, a sure sign that times are changing.

GLSD October 3, 2008 at 8:07 pm

M is gorgeous! Have a great wkend and have fun volunteering!

laurakim October 3, 2008 at 8:20 pm

I cant comment on the politics – I do think Obama would (should) win though!

Just wanted to say that that is a really really lovely photo!

laurakim’s last blog post…What is your addiction?

Luckygirl October 3, 2008 at 9:06 pm

I actually just made up my mind LAST NIGHT who I’m going to vote for and I have no idea if my candidate will win. What is interesting, though, is that I made my decision based on their running mates. I actually like both Obama and McCain. Right after the debate a reporter said, “…but no one votes based on the vice-president…” Actually, yes, some of us are this year!

Luckygirl’s last blog post…Ice Cream

Eathan October 3, 2008 at 9:40 pm

I honestly think Obama will win. The Palin factor is too risky.. among other things. ;)

singlemomseeking October 4, 2008 at 8:42 am

LuckyGirl: I’m curious what your final decision is…

Phil: Yes, you certainly are a realist, aren’t you? Honest, indeed.

LEM: Here’s to being hopeful. Deep breath.

judy October 4, 2008 at 9:02 am

Lucky Girl I loved your comment and thank you for helping me clarify my position. I have equal ups and downs for Obama and McCain and the VP debate made my mind up as well.

Aunt Marge October 4, 2008 at 9:17 am

Doesn’t matter if Uncle Norman is voting for McCain, Rachel, Aunt Marge and Uncle Cris will cancel him out (plus one) with our votes for Obama.

It would be great if we had a female VP, and there are so many really good women politicians in the country that would have made formidable running mates and made us proud; but the present VP candidate, with her home spun demeanor, and “Joe six-pack” dialogue would be maybe okay for PTO leader, but (heaven forbid) of our country. Adorable picture of M. Love, Aunt Marge

singlemomseeking October 4, 2008 at 9:37 am

Aunt Marge, I knew that you lurked on my blog sometimes… and here you are!

What a great surprise. I’d assumed that you and Chris were voting for McCain. Thanks for making my day.

tanasie October 4, 2008 at 10:19 am

Nate Silver’s kinda cute. . . in an audio visual club kind of way. I don’t see a wedding ring on those long artistic fingers…. maybe you should ask him out.

RE the elections… I was at Costco last weekend when I overheard some people talking about all the communist propaganda in the campaigns. They kept slipping into Russian and talking about how they know communism. But then it turned out they were talking about Obama! I was shocked. They said they had traveled the country and not met one Obama supporter. ??????

Uhm, we’re everywhere.

Have they not been to a Jay-Z concert?

tanasie’s last blog post…Husband Google Alert

Aunt Marge October 4, 2008 at 10:33 am

WHY would you think we would vote for McCain? Just because we are old-er?? In fact, in our political ed course – all who are over 50, 99% will vote for Obama…but then again, we live in Massachusetts so it is a foregone conclusion that the State will go Democratic. Actually, I have been a Biden fan since the onset. So I am voting as much for VP as I am for President (and that is a first in my long voting history). I truly am disappointed that with all the good, polished, experienced women politicians, McCain should choose the “soccer mom”…really embarrassing. I think it sets women in politics back two steps. But then again, had he chosen a really viable female running mate, it might have made the election much more challenging for the Democrats…so maybe a good thing.

One more thing, I hope that all of your Mom bloggers will vote in this election. After recently learning more about the suffragettes and their struggles and sacrifices, no woman of voting age should be too busy on election day not to vote. We owe it to those amazing females that preceded us.

Luckygirl October 4, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Oh! I’m voting for Obama, based on Joe Biden being more polished, professional, experienced, kind and well-spoken compared to Sarah Palin. I thought her language was rough and she seemed to not understand some questions. I found her disingenuous and at times, rude. I could not agree more w/ Aunt Marge re: both the odd choice of Palin w/ so many better qualified republican women politicians and the incredible struggle women went through to secure the right to vote!

mc October 5, 2008 at 3:21 am

I think Obama will win.

McCain has run his campaign like he’s more loose cannon than maverick. Scary.

Treemama October 5, 2008 at 7:20 am

I was pretty sure I was voting Obama, but still not 100%, he’s a fantastic orator, I just wanted to see more of him and Biden. Though he is so POLITICAL, I did like what Biden had to say in the debate.

I don’t know what we will ACTUALLY get from either candidate, but either one is going to HAVE to make some change.

I like Obama’s broader view on energy and the environment, plus I think we just need some YOUNGER blood.

So, yes, I will vote Obama. I am anxious to see though what the outcome will be because I thought GORE was going to win, and think he got screwed.

I too try to stay away from politics on the blog and in general, but this year I am watching all the debates and news on the campaign trail.

Like everyone else and especially being a single parent, my life depends on it and I’m tired of being TIRED too.

Treemama’s last blog post…Starting Boo’s Quilt

VJ October 5, 2008 at 8:52 pm

The man with the tan & the plan will win. Because he’s just smarter, more likable, and gosh darn it, he deserves it too. The other guy’s just Nuts, and he’s proving it every day forward.

And with early voting here in Ga., I’ve already voted for him & the full Democratic slate. (I work the polls on election day). We desperately need to clean house here & everywhere. The economy won’t be coming back anytime soon under old man McSame’s tenure. He’s got no new ideas and really does not understand the problem or the question. Cheers & Good Luck, ‘VJ’

Kelly October 6, 2008 at 11:12 am

I watched the debate while helping my daughter with a particularly frustrating school project, so I alternated between groaning at that and rolling my eyes at Palin.

I think if things keep going the way they are, Obama will win. And I very much hope things keep going they way they are going.

Kelly’s last blog post…Sorry, I keep remembering things

singlemomseeking October 6, 2008 at 2:53 pm

Thanks for all of your input! Wow, VJ, you work at the polls. Good for you.

Update: At the fundraiser yesterday where I volunteered, we collected $75,000 for Obama For America. Woo!

I was gone all day, and M was with a friend from school. She and her friend decided to have a lemonade stand for Obama.

They made $100.

The friend’s mom took them straight to the phone bank to drop off the cash.

Everyone stopped making calls to clap for the girls!

Kelly October 7, 2008 at 8:05 am

Lemonade for Obama. That’s awesome!

Kelly’s last blog post…Oopsie

Kyle October 7, 2008 at 2:40 pm

It’s semmantics, but Biden was much more for gay marriage rights, he said he was ONLY against forcing religious institutions to accept gay marriages. With a separation of church and state, I think that’s the best thing for the country anyways.

Palin was the one that avoided the question, but if you listen to her answer, she is not for equal rights for gay marriages, she just said she wouldn’t prevent gay spouses to enter emergency rooms. Wow, thanks for throwing us a bone!

lauren acton October 9, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Sorry but McCain, ( and I do like him as a person) is appearing too old, too handicapped (he just doesn’t move well) and Obama as a contrast, has youth, energy very much the Kennedy image and appearing strong and ready for the job as President!

Leslie October 11, 2008 at 9:33 am

I’m guessing Obama will win. My friend and I joked about doing write ins this week.

I’m irritated with the Republican party for thinking McCain was the best they could do, and don’t have faith that Obama can really do what he says. (Though what politician does?)

But yes, I’ll definitely be voting, begrudgingly, for someone come November.

Leslie’s last blog post…Down on the farm

Mommy to the Monsters October 13, 2008 at 6:03 pm

I think Obama will win….However I am still unsure who I am voting for…

Mommy to the Monsters’s last blog post…Urgent Prayer Request