What’s Michael Phelps doing in Vegas?

by singlemomseeking on September 6, 2008

I’m disappointed. Have you heard that after the Olympics, gold medalist and American hero Michael Phelps headed to Las Vegas for some booty?

According to Radar Staff Writer Neel Shah, Phelps is in Las Vegas this weekend. Last night, he apparently went to the Playboy Club, where the Radar nightlife reporter shot a photo of Phelps squeezing the buttocks of a dancer.

Of course, Phelps deserves time to play… but this kind of play?

“It was unreal,” says Neel. “Within moments of entering the club he summoned two girls over… I’ve never seen such an aggressive grip.”

“But don’t be too quick to judge,” reports Gawker.

Who among us, having just accomplished the greatest individual feat in Olympic history, wouldn’t head straight to Vegas to score some tail? Hell, if it were me I’d still be wearing the goggles.”

All week, I’ve been drafting a post about why Phelps is the ideal role model for single parent families across the country — because he was raised by a single mom, and look at his accomplishments! And now this? Am I judging too quickly here?…

P.S. Single dad Matt Logelin actually saw Phelps up close in Vegas. Matt, what were you doing at the club?

Andrea September 6, 2008 at 12:10 pm

I read about this at Matt’s blog as well and just thought…ewwwww…I mean yes he is celebrating and everyone deserves down time and fun, but…does he not realize that all eyes are on him and he continues to represent our country even in his free time? I still think it’s just gross, grope booty in the privacy of your own home or a hotel, not in public.

Phil September 6, 2008 at 12:19 pm

Phelps is just a 23 year old athlete. Athletes, celebrities, and politicians shouldn’t be anyone’s model for parenting or anything else. That’s not their job!

Kim September 6, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Yes, SMS, I think you are judging too quickly here. I’m with Phil: Michael is an athlete and the only people he *might* be a role model for are other athletes. Besides, I seem to remember (and I could be wrong) that after the 2004 Olympics, he was arrested for drunk driving or some such offense. He blew the “role model” ideal some time ago.

He’s just a 23 year old red-blooded man who likes women. How can he be faulted for that? The pic I saw of him with the gal showed his hand on her hip; he didn’t appear to be groping, gripping or squeezing her buttocks. Seriously, people. There are more interesting things to talk about, aren’t there?

alicia September 6, 2008 at 3:15 pm

GIve me a break! Why do people insist on holding others up to some unrealistic standard. This guy has shown incredible commitment & discipline on the road to his success. He’s 23yrs. old. Let the guy live.

Carrie September 6, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Yes, you are being too judgmental. Come on, the guy is 23 years old and the last few years of his life have been nothing but eat, sleep, swim, repeat. What kind of fun were you having when you were 23? Give the guy a break. He’s a swimmer, not a role model.

Lees September 6, 2008 at 4:48 pm

I think people are being too hard on him. I was pretty tame in my college years/early 20s but still wouldn’t want some of the things I did caught on tape & blogged about… yes, by being an Olympian, he does sort of become a role model by default. But at the end of the day, he’s just another 23 yr old kid w/ OOC hormones…

If you were going to blog about a role model, shouldn’t you be blogging about his mom? She’s the one who got him to where he’s at, w/out the help of his father.

ruth September 6, 2008 at 5:41 pm

what exactly is wrong with what he did? is his sex life any of our business? is this blog strictly against pre-marital sex unbeknownst to me? I’m dissapointed in this post.

laurakim123 September 6, 2008 at 9:44 pm

I suppose all things considered this was the only thing he could do really – I mean he is a 23 year old full of testosterone on a good day add to that he was the shining star of the Olympics, so his ego is probably the size of Las Vegas, add in more money than he probably knows what to do with – of course you get a young man squeezing dancers bums! Some may say he deserved it!

Oh and by the way – Roland Schoeman trained with him and when asked in an interview what he was like Roland replied “He is a DORK”

singlemomseeking September 6, 2008 at 10:32 pm

Okay, you’ve all called me out… Clearly I was idolizing Michael. And I have a thing for dorks…

singlemomseeking September 6, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Lees: I wrote this post hastily, and wasn’t clear about the role model part. You’re right: Michael Phelp’s mom is the role model for sure.

The way they come across on TV — Debbie and her kids — they all seem incredibly supportive and loving. She really has raised them on her own.

singlemomseeking September 6, 2008 at 10:40 pm

Ruth, if you’ve read my blog you’ll know that I’m not against pre-marital sex… quite the opposite in fact. (In the post below, I’m giving out condoms. Want one?)

It just seemed kind of tacky. I’d thought that Michael Phelps would have had more class — or respect, perhaps — than to go groping at women in a club right after winning the gold.

As folks pointed out here, he is a 23 year old pumped with testosterone. So he is.

VJ September 7, 2008 at 2:01 am

Swell. You all did not see the end of this desultory transaction. Sure we’re all adults here, but we imagine that Michael Phelps Could be doing (or saying) this:

1.) Teaching them new swimming strokes by the jacuzzi. This of course needs to be done in the nude to check out proper form.

2.) He’s bringing them all to Jesus, and just enjoying some free time before hand, just as a ‘get to know you ice breaker’.

3.) Teaching them of the greater marketing potential and of the uses different styles & outfits.

4.) Bringing a brace of lovelies home to momma for her to question in more detail.

5.) He can’t recall precisely how he got there, he was drunk and otherwise enjoying himself.

6.) Figures that after just winning 8 Olympic Gold Medals last month he no longer needs to check in with you’ll about his varied ‘after hours’ activities. (Leave your number if you remain unconvinced). Otherwise his momma knew where he was. Really. It’s what dorks Do.

7.) Was really there for the music/scenery and surprised that the gals were so ‘friendly’.

8.) Has likely never been inside a decent strip bar in his life and wanted to explore one as one of the most famous & accomplished young athletes & all around guy on the planet. Sue him for it.

9.) Is sorry to disappoint you, and hopes that you’ll forgive him his transgressions if he gives you a 10% off coupon for his future merchandise.

10.) Was on his quest to find the best fitting gal for his grip that night. What of it?

I mean really folks. I’m sorry. I’m a traditionalist here. What goes on in Vegas really ought to stay in Vegas. And they should confiscate the damn cell phones and any other picture taking devices before anyone enters the clubs too. And expecting something more from a 23 year old ‘hot’, healthy athletic dude? Not even training for the Priesthood could prevent this from occurring. Cheers, ‘VJ’

VJ September 7, 2008 at 2:05 am

Sorry about the muddle on #3.) above. It should now read: “Teaching them of the greater marketing potential and of the uses of different styles & outfits”.

Cheers, ‘VJ’

tressa September 7, 2008 at 3:52 am

Give the kid a break… he has devoted his entire life to being the best… now durning his down time he wants a little tail …. lets not forget he is a 23 year old guy….

Paige September 7, 2008 at 9:27 pm

I will admit that I was disappointed that Michael Phelps acted as he did. I reminded myself that he is only 23, but, on the other hand, even at that age, shouldn’t he have more respect for the opposite sex? I know young men who do not treat women that way, whether at a bar or not. It appears that athletes and celebrities don’t have to live by the same rules as the rest of us. Tacky, tacky, tacky.

Alison September 8, 2008 at 6:10 am

Um, Paige (and others) it was a strip club in Vegas. This was not his neighborhood bar or a friends party etc. This is an atmosphere specifically designed around sex. I am sure there is a no touch policy, but I didn’t hear of any bouncers beating Phelps for laying a hand on the women. This leads me to believe they were doing thier job and likely earning a significant tip for it.

I know oodles of people (male and female)who enjoy strip clubs. This doesn’t make them bad, horrible, people who wouldn’t be around my kids. On the contrary, they are amongst some of my favorite people in the world (along with just as many non strip club frequenting folk.)

He can still be an example for kids with ADHD and/or who want to pursue something like swimming. His commitment and success is something for people to celebrate and learn from but it does not allow us into every aspect of his life to judge him. If he wants to wear a tutu and heels around the house, so be it, have fun. If my son wants to see a great swimmer and learn how he accomplished it, Phelps is a great canidate for that.

Lance September 8, 2008 at 9:36 am

The guy is an elite athlete, lower 20′s, physically perfect (at least from the neck down), and male. I would be more disturbed if he WASN’T in Vegas chasing tail. Let’s be serious here and not make him or any other 23-year-old to be more mature than they really are. When I was 23 I was doing the exact same thing.

Melissa LaMunyon September 8, 2008 at 11:33 am

Yeah…. Give him a break–the issue isn’t that he grabbed some girl’s ass in a strip club–it’s that anyone put the expectation of being a “role” model on him. I mean–I can see how alot of people are going to be looking up to him and such, but going to strip club in Vegas hardly warrants this kind of critism. IMHO…