Single Mom Seeking is reading…

by singlemomseeking on September 6, 2008

“Looking at me, you’d never guess that….”

Mark your calendars for Litquake, San Francisco’s annual literary festival. According to USA Today, San Francisco has the highest per capita consumption of both alcohol and books. Litquake certainly proves that (take BART folks, don’t drive).

I’ll be reading on Saturday, October 11 – as part of Lit Crawl, a three-hour “literary crawl” through the heart of San Francisco’s Mission District. (Get it? Instead of a pub crawl… a Lit Crawl). Events are free — and fun!

Seal Press is hosting our reading along the lines of “Looking at me, you’d never guess that….”

You’ll hear Seal Press authors Camille Cusumano and Joan Price, too. We start at 7:15 at The Women’s Building.

P.S. I’m giving condoms away to everyone who comes to our Lit Crawl reading! OMG, yesterday two huge boxes — weighing 75 pounds — landed on my doorstep. They were filled with One Condoms in beautiful tins, which look like this:

Just to get the party started, I’m sending personalized condom tins (like the one on the left) to three of you who respond to:

“Looking at me, you’d never guess that….”

Ready, set, go… let’s hear how you finish that one.

Condom winners! And a spray-on condom for men? | Single Mom Seeking...
September 15, 2008 at 2:41 pm
Condom contest winners and Litquake | Single Mom Seeking...
October 9, 2008 at 4:08 pm

judy September 6, 2008 at 11:29 am

Looking at me you’d never guess that just an hour ago I was preparing dinner, scrubbing a toilet, reassuring an upset daughter that her life was not over because of the “mean girls” at school, showering, flattening my hair and finally talking to a live person about the mis-billing on my credit card.

JW September 6, 2008 at 11:41 am

Looking at me, you’d never guess that…

pre-baby days I used to work on an adult site as a live video girl. For real. You’d also never guess that I’m still sleeping with my ex-husband. And for the less dramatic, that I love to skateboard.

Joan Price September 6, 2008 at 10:11 pm

I love your post, Rachel! So lively and intimate. What a great idea to have condoms with your book title & a photo — what a conversation starter!

I’ll enjoy reading alongside you at LitCrawl. If any of your readers want to know what your parents and grandparents are up to, I hope you’ll take a look at my blog about sex and aging: http://www.betterthanieverexpected.blogspot.com.

Joan Price
Author of Better Than I Ever Expected: Straight Talk about Sex After Sixty (Seal Press, 2006, http://www.joanprice.com/BetterThanExpected.htm )

Emily September 7, 2008 at 8:25 am

Looking at me, you’d never guess that I haven’t been out on a date in months.

…that I used to weigh over 200 lbs.

…that I have three children.

single mommy September 7, 2008 at 9:28 am

If you know of events like these for single parents on the east coast please let me know!

liz September 7, 2008 at 11:27 am

Looking at me, you’d never guess that last night I was sexy and charmed the pants off (not literally…although I could have if I’d wanted to) a single dad I was out on a date with. You’d never guess it because right now I’m unshowered, hungover, last night’s mascara smudged under my eyes and curled up on the sofa with my two boys…my two little loves.

dadshouse September 8, 2008 at 10:02 am

Looking at me you’d never guess I was one of JW’s longtime fans and customers… kidding! Hey JW, no fair leaving a comment like that without a pointer for all the voyeurs :-)

Look forward to LitQuake!

SDMktg September 8, 2008 at 5:21 pm

Looking at me you’d never guess I read 9 parenting books before my twins were born, stayed home with them for the first 18 months and took 3 parenting classes after my divorce a year and a half later. I’ve made birthday cakes for all 6 birthday parties (and they both want their own) and I’m a gourmet cook as well as a master of the barbecue. On top of having my kids every other day I’m also head of marketing for a grill company and marvel at how hard it is to juggle it all.

JW September 8, 2008 at 5:40 pm

LOL @ dadshouse! That’s hilarious. ;-) This post-baby body wouldn’t be worth a nickel there these days. LOL! Actually, I usually do link my blog, but for privacy sake I kept it a secret.

Kim September 8, 2008 at 7:40 pm

Looking at me: You’d probably never guess I’m a kissing addict. Seriously! Was married 20+ yrs and have been separated for 6 mo. Started dating two months ago. After no sex or “real” kissing for the past 3 yrs, I’m *really* enjoying myself now (kissing only, that is). And everyone thinks I’m innocent and demure…OK, except for the tiny tattoo on my ankle. Anyway, all that kissing will certainly (hopefully) eventually lead to something more…and I’m going to need a condom. OK, more than one, but one is all I need to get started. :o ) Oh, and just to prove it, I recently dubbed myself “KissyFace.” Just ask RandomEsquire. LOL

Kim September 8, 2008 at 7:41 pm

P.S. I vote for liz!!! :o )

Rebs September 8, 2008 at 8:11 pm

…I’m bi-polar. Despite being mentally ‘ill’, I’ve been independent and self-sufficient since I was 18, co-parent a 3-yr old terror (who has an increased chance of developing bipolar disorder b/c of genetics) with my ex-husband and have missed maybe a handful of days in 11 yrs of full-time work due to being ‘mad’ (my preferred term).

Kristiina September 9, 2008 at 1:47 am

Looking at me, you’d never guess that I almost lost my always so positive spirits and thought I might not make it. Had a baby, am a total single-mom, lost my mom shortly after my baby was born. Take care of my father as well as I do of my son. I was so organized and in control of my life before my pregnancy, now I’m not in so control of my life, but tackle everyday life with raising my son, working, caring for my dad, who is a bit lost after my mother lost a short fight for a dreadful desease. I joined to this total-single mom group, got lovely lovely friends, stay in touch with my ‘old’ friends and participate in seminars about on/off parenting etc to spread the knowledge what is happening in our childrens life.

I take pleasure of the smallest things, and do feel like I’m living life to the max (sorry Pepsi for borrowing this), try and find the time and way to help others that need it even more than me.

singlemomseeking September 9, 2008 at 7:47 am

All of you simply blow me away…. Wow.

The Exception September 10, 2008 at 7:52 am

Are you going to answer the question too Rachel?

I want to answer this question… I love it… but I am speechless. My mind is blank…

Which is my answer I suppose – Looking at me, you might never realize that I am empty of all thought and creativity. I know that when you look at me, you realize that anything might come out of my mouth – that you can’t expect anything because I am exactly who I appear to be and then… I am not!

singlemomseeking September 22, 2008 at 1:01 pm

Condoms are on the way… I’m mailing batch no. 2 today!