Must Love Kids: The finale

by singlemomseeking on September 21, 2008

Update: The finale photos for you from the Must Love Kids crew. I’ve titled them, “Kristin and the Boys.” See why?

Here’s Kristin Eaton with Luke Himebaugh, Phillip Price, David Silver.

Did you catch the last episode of TLC’s single parent reality dating show — “Must Love Kids“? In case you missed it, or want to add your two cents, go for it!

What I most appreciated about this show was the fact that these three moms seemed so real. Their homes looked like mine, messes and all. They got frazzled and tired — like me.

Vanessa, mom of two, had two great guy-choices. First, there was Michael, who seemed very considerate about the fact that Vanessa’s son was so cautious around him. Gabriel has experienced his father leaving him — and trying to come back, so the caution was understandable.

And there was Paul, single dad of one daughter. Paul won me over a while back by being incredibly mature. Vanessa’s ex had shown up at her apartment — unannounced — during their date, and Paul had calmly waited for him to leave. Vanessa and her ex have had an on-again, off-again relationship and hopefully she has broken that cycle.

In the end, Vanessa choice Michael. (Vanessa, if you want to chime in here about how everything is going, let’s hear it!)

Tracy, mom of wild child Paris, needed to choose between Eric and Mark. In the end, she decided that she’s not ready for a relationship. Instead, she made it clear that she needs to focus on parenting. Bravo.

Note: I have gotten many comments from you about the parenting support that Tracy clearly needs. While I agree that she really need to work on boundaries, I haven’t published the most spiteful remarks. I don’t think that lashing out will help Tracy in the long run. Do you?

Single-mom-of-three Kristin had to choose between Chris and Luke. Although Luke’s daughters hit it off so well  with Kristin’s kids, the on-screen chemistry seemed to fizzle out. Fortunately, they’ve remained friends, according to Luke’s recent Facebook comment. He says “not to worry all of you Must Love Kids fans, SHE is one of my very best friends now, it all worked out for the best!”

About Chris: I felt like there was something ____ about him! What is it? But clearly Kristin seemed like she was under a lot of pressure to choose, and in the the end, she rode the horse drawn carriage with Chris. Will it last?

Many of you have asked for updates about these moms and their suitors. Now that the show is over, let’s hear from you! TLC had a very strict don’t-talk policy with these single moms and their suitors: I had to get the “okay” with the authorities to write about the show here.

But now it’s time to talk!

Kristin and I have chatted on the phone — off the record, before the final episode aired — but I hope to get the real scoop about everyone soon

If you watched “Must Love Kids” and want to chime in, please do!

In reality, do you think that these “reality TV” relationships — like Kristin and Chris — have any real potential of lasting?

Olivia September 27, 2008 at 8:11 pm

To Kristin: I just wanted to let you know that you seem like such a great mom and role model for your kids! I was raised by a wonderful single mother and never felt slighted by not having a dad at home, so I can recognize a good mom when I see one! It is so refreshing to see such well behaved kids (especially in such stark contrast to another child from the series who shall remain nameless!). I wish you all the best in the future… and you should give Paul a call now that he’s available!

Ronda October 5, 2008 at 6:35 pm

I loved the show. I watch realty TV with a grain of salt. I do have to say that I really enjoyed this show. All the people in the final 2 episodes seem like truly great, patient people. I have no idea how I would adjust to having a camera follow me around while trying to make a connection with someone. Top that by adding instant semi-fame and that’s a lot of change and stress for all that participated. I think, all-in-all it may not have accurately depicted all the people involved; but it accurately depicts the challenges of dating as a single parent. I am a single parent and have a hard time juggling my career, kids, and then dating. Reality or non-reality; dating is definitely challenging. I don’t think anyone should be commenting on the moms choices in a negative way. Only they can discern the best for themselves and their kids. Chemistry is a big part of making an initial choice, and that’s really hard to see on TV.I will say that seeing guys like Paul, Chris, Luke, Mark etc gives me hope that there are still decent good guys out there. Sometimes dating can make you feel otherwise. :)

Jessica October 18, 2008 at 9:00 pm

How do i get a hold of Paul? I love this show and loved Paul from the beginning. I was sad when he wasn’t picked — then brought myself out of my reverie.

Yahoo! This means he is still available!! I wish all the ladies good luck in finding whatever comes their way. Paul you are an incredible catch and any woman in her right mind would love what you have to offer! Keep up the search with an open heart..you had my attention from the beginning:) LOL…God bless, Jessica

singlemomseeking October 19, 2008 at 8:10 am

Jessica,
I just sent an email to Paul with your comment… and your email, if he wants to make contact. Good luck! He is certainly a catch.

christie February 16, 2009 at 7:27 am

It’s been awhile now, anymore follow-up? I loved this show! I am a single mom, stuck in a tiny town in rural arkansas. There are NO decent men here, and I mean NONE! I have parents in their 60-70s, so I am stuck here for a while longer. They’ll need me to care for them sooner rather than later. It was very refreshing to see real moms finding suitors that were worthwhile. I truly enjoyed the show. But I still want to know more!

leah February 16, 2009 at 2:14 pm

I keep reading everything but I still can’t find where it says if Vanessa and Michael are still together…I really wanted to see them hit it off…did they?

Beka March 12, 2009 at 3:20 pm

I absolutely loved this show, and wish it had not been moved to funky showtimes, and then ended…

I’m a (recently) single Mom of 3 amazing children, the source of so many joys in my life! I watched the first episode dubiously but was instantly hooked. Kristin’s comments about taking the risk to find love, and the message that living life alone sends to the kids…well, I can honestly say it has changed my perspective towards my own life. (And that cute guy on the beach date–Nate?’s comments that “don’t you want to share the ups and downs of life with someone else?” has stuck with me, too.)

It obviously requires an amazing amount of courage, vulnerability, and risk to experience the ups and downs of dating on national TV, so I applaud everyone who took that risk! You made my life richer, even though it was “just a show”.

I related to Vanessa, Kristin AND Tracy. You’re all amazing mothers!
Tracy’s taken a lot of pot-shots (in blogs at least–people say things they’d hopefully NEVER say face-to-face!) about her parenting, but in my humble opinion, I think she made such a courageous decision, to put her daughter first. Basically each guy let her know he wasn’t accepting her daughter; I didn’t see anyone of the guys really try to engage her or “get” her… My daughter, 8, is so creative, like Paris (what an incredible space with that super-cool play loft!!). Obviously the park experience was humiliating for Tracy; it’s hard to watch children “downward spiral” when the stakes are so high/pressure’s on. I cried with her when she said she might as well keep her heart on the shelf…and I hope she’s continuing to risk to find love for her and for Paris!

I did not envy you for having to choose between so many amazing people…expect an influx of single people moving to California, right? LOL.

I saw a Glamour magazine article on how a woman found love by dating 4 guys at once (telling each about the other, and not getting intimate)…and how the competition/”upping the ante” helped her find her perfect match. This show seemed to use that principle…whatever it used, Must Love Kids ROCKED and I’m sorry it’s over!

Kristin November 5, 2009 at 3:49 pm

Beka – I am so happy to have stumbled across your comment – the show was over so long ago and feels nearly forgotten for the kids & myself, but to think that I’ve had the chance to even in a small way inspire someone I never would have known otherwise – it’s a real honor. You sound like you have such a great attitude and that you’re embracing single motherhood and your children are so lucky for that! I think for my family our time as a single parent household was a great adventure – difficult, but fulfilling – and I think we each feel lucky that it brought us closer together. Now the kids and I have the opportunity to put some of our energies into relearning, and in some ways learning for the first time, how to be a two parent household – because I have recently remarried : )

I worried so much over whether or not as a single mom of three I should even bother trying to date before they were all out of high school, but I am so glad that I did. We feel so lucky and fortunate and more grateful than I can find words for, and I hope all of the same for you & your family!!!

singlemomseeking November 5, 2009 at 4:05 pm

I’m honored that you’ve come back to comment Kristin!

I’m so honored that I had the chance to get to know you a bit — over the phone! — and witness long distance as you fell in love… and got remarried. Woo eee.

Congrats Kristin!

Diane Gagnon July 25, 2009 at 2:26 pm

I absolutely loooooooved the series and wondered if they were gonna bring it back … I sure hope so!

Although I have no kids, I am a 40 something single female who has been back on the dating scene now for the past 2 and a half years. I have had many dates since then through a couple of dating sites, but it’s been really hard trying to find someone compatible with me. So I could really related to these women, especially going through the motions of the first date, getting to know someone and realizing he’s not for you. It’s a long process.

I would sure love to see another series of Must love Kids!

Thanks for reading me.