Is the new Bachelor, Jason Mesnick, really looking for love?

by singlemomseeking on August 27, 2008

Apparently, single dads are the latest hot thing. At least, if you follow dating reality shows they are.

Take Jason Mesnick, the good-looking, educated, single dad, whom DeAnna Pappas rejected on ABC’s Bachelorette.

Some of my friends have joked that I should go after him. But the man is already flocked by hundreds of women. I’m not kidding. Jason, the 32-year-old father of three-year-old Ty, even has a personal email account just for his female fans.

Believe it or not, this is his email address: fanofjason@gmail.com.

After Pappas told Jason in the finale that her “heart is somewhere else,” his fans overloaded his MySpace account with comments and then bombarded ABC with requests to get in touch with him.

I even found a few women who set up their own MySpace pages in honor of Jason, where they’ve petitioned The Bachelor – ABC’s male version of the show — to have Jason on. Guess what? They got their wish.

I really appreciate what Annie from MomLogic says:

“I’m very excited to see him find love, but I can’t help but wonder, what if it were a single woman who had left her child at home to appear on The Bachelor? Then after hemming and hawing about how much she missed her child, she signed on to the be star of The Bachelorette the following season? I think people would be repulsed.”

Here’s what I want to know:

If Jason really wants to find a life partner, why doesn’t follow up with a handful of the 100s of women who’ve emailed him? Why is he going on another reality show — and putting his son on reality TV?

Single dads out there, would you love to put yourself in Jason’s shoes? Why? Why not?

To all of you: Is Jason Mesnick really lookin’ for love… or fame? What do you think?

The Bachelor is scheduled to premiere in January 2009.

Image of Jason Mesnick courtesy of NitaGirl and Jessy.

Jason Mesnick from “The Bachelor” — lasting love? | Single Mom Seeking...
January 5, 2009 at 8:51 am
Is “The Bachelor” a double standard? | Single Mom Seeking...
January 6, 2009 at 12:16 am
Where’s the chemistry when you’re dating online? | Single Mom Seeking...
January 12, 2009 at 10:34 pm

GLSD August 27, 2008 at 4:20 pm

I always watch the Bachelor and the Bachelorette. It’s funny b/c I said the same thing. If he missed his son so much doing the Bachelorette, why go for it again?! He can’t find love somewhere else? I think it’s part of the fame status! I hope he finds love though. I was rooting for him and DeAnne, but her heart was somewhere else!

Amy Nathan August 27, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Well you know how I feel about these things! He is looking for some fun and some fame and for love, I believe. I am hard-pressed to put stock in unions made on TV — only a few have lasted and I think only one has resulted in marriage.

I can’t respect a guy who would leave his kid again for months to find a woman to date and maybe marry. At least whatever money he makes will pay for Ty’s future therapy. :-)

Crazy Computer Dad August 27, 2008 at 8:59 pm

A friend told me once of a person that saw a woman in a picture. There was something about the setting, the expression, the beauty of this woman and he just had to meet her. He tracked the picture back to the girl and she finally agreed to meet him. He had all these expectations, all from just a picture, and it turns out she was absolutely nothing like what he had envisioned.

Single Dad are just responsible and dedicated single men, like other responsible, dedicated single men without children. We are still men, with the same perceived problems as men without children.

What most women forget is that single dads already have a person (or even a couple of people) in their lives. I’ve had several women tell me after a date or two that I need to give them more attention, don’t respond fast enough, etc.

At the younger ages children change and develop very rapidly. Why would you want to miss that? The pictures and videos I have of the things my son and I did at that age are some of the valuable things I own. I look back and I am awed by those memories. I don’t ever want to look back and be awed by what I missed.

The Counting Crows said “We all want to be big stars, but we don’t know why and we don’t know how” and it is probably true, but at what cost?

SingleParentDad August 28, 2008 at 9:25 am

We don’t get that here, and I’m not sure I would watch it if it was on, but I definitely wouldn’t go on it, and certainly not for the pertained reasons of the show.

If I was trying to promote myself in another way, something that fame really helped, like writing a book or presenting family led programmes, it would be more appealing. And hence why this particular Gent has, and will be on this show again.

In Britain single mothers do not have a great rep, something a good few organisations are trying to fight. I believe a single mom who left her kids to go on a reality TV show would get panned here. But they may get work out of the back of any show they do.

dadshouse August 28, 2008 at 9:33 am

I wouldn’t put my kids on a reality show. No way. I might go on one, only if I knew it wouldn’t make me look completely ridiculous. Which means, I probably shouldn’t go on one. Haha.

As for fans – just because 100s of women throw themselves at you doesn’t mean they’re a match for you. Especially if he’s taking care of his kid and tethered to where they live right now, he’d need to meet and accepting and supportive woman in his neck of the woods.

SONIA ALONZO November 26, 2008 at 8:12 am

Ihope this time jason will find his happness he is hot,sweet and a very good father he has been hurt one to many times boy if he was to come my way i would take him in a heart good men are very har to find thats for sure i sure pray that god eill send one like him my way i dont care what ugly things people think or say about the show i feel if people cant be nice dont be ugly no one forces any one to watch the show i love it and i hope and pray that jason well find his other half just because the women on are pretty on there doesnt mean any thing if there heart is black they have to love his son just as much as they are going to love him cause i am sure most of the women there are fake as can be some just want to be on tv when they meet him they better remember he has a son not to for get that cause he is part of his life too i think he needs a latin women there heart is always warm and full of love and very good to there husbands,so jason if they dont work email me,good luck

janine January 18, 2009 at 2:15 pm

i think he’s makin a mistake chosen melissa from texas,fact she’s too young to be a rollmodel for his son ty.he needs to look for some 1 how is in his age limit.