“Must Love Kids”

by singlemomseeking on July 28, 2008

Readers, please meet David, one of Kristin’s six male “suitors” on the new reality show Must Love Kids.

I was thrilled when 44-year-old David — who’s the single dad of two sons, 6 and 8 – agreed to a telephone interview from his home in southern California. The producers of Must Love Kids had found the very cute and kind David through his MySpace page, and cast him!

On Must Love Kids, there are three single moms — and each mom gets to meet six potential “suitors,” whom gone through extensive background checks to be on the show. (I was surprised about how many men chosen seem to have hold governmental positions. Hmmm…) The moms are filmed at home with their kids, getting ready for school and having dinner, which makes the show very real.

David — who owns a landscape business — seems to have an ideal relationship with his ex-wife. “We have a great co-parenting relationship,” David says. “From day one, we’ve kept the focus on the kids. She’s a great mom, and she has been remarried for four years.”

Prior to the show, David had tried several online dating sites, including Match.com. On Must Love Kids, Kristin, 33, stood out. She’s the sweet mom of three kids (8, 6, and 3) and a patent agent.

“I really appreciated the parenting style Kristin showed and found her to be a positive role model,” David says, adding that he can’t “say too much due to the very restrictive legal guidelines presented to us until the series ends.”

Disclaimer: I admit that Kristin is my favorite on the show, too. She’s very real with her kids, she can laugh at herself. (It’s not clear where her ex is…)

David admits that dating on a reality show isn’t exactly real:

“In the natural course of dating, you might go out, and then chat in between dates. On reality TV, you have your date, and then there’s no interaction until the next filming. I just took it for what it was.”

He adds that “all of the dialogue is very real. Nothing is scripted. But of course, there’s a natural tendency to be restricted with a camera in your face.”

When I mention that at end of the second episode, as he hugged Kristin, she seems to tower over him, he says, “I was the shortest guy in my group for sure. Perhaps my height does limit me with some women, but there are plenty of quality women out there who do not care.”

“I am who I am and that’s just the way it is,” says David. “At least I have charm, intelligence, good looks, good attitude and great friends and family.”

What do other single parents have to say about Must Love Kids?

Jennifer Wolf at About.com gives Must Love Kids a thumbs up.

Unlike David, however, Just a Man’s Journey thinks that Kirstin “is just too quirky” for him.

Oh, and did I mention that she lives with her mom, too? Just a Man’s Journey says, “Ugh.”

If you’ve watched the first two episodes, do you have a favorite mom on the show? Single dads, which mom would you go out with? Single moms, which suitor would you date?

Even if you haven’t watched the show, I’d love to know if you’d consider going on Must Love Kids? They might film a second season. (Hey, they do background checks on the all the guys!) Would you be game?

Top photo of David with his boys. Isn’t he hot?

Second photo of Kristin

Single Mom Seeking… | Must Love Kids: Exclusive Interview with Kristin
August 7, 2008 at 10:11 am
Must Love Kids: The finale | Single Mom Seeking...
September 22, 2008 at 12:39 am

David Silver August 5, 2008 at 8:11 pm

Fan Club……You’ve just been added!!! I really enjoyed getting to know you as well. As for a reunion- I’ll plan one for real after legal clears us all.

Chris August 6, 2008 at 9:59 am

Ok gang. Can I hang? Who are we missing? Jason and James I think. Great show last night huh? One of my buddies called and asked me if I was with the two-headed girl on the show.

Phillip August 6, 2008 at 12:31 pm

No Chris that was me. After I got the boot TLC set me up with her. It’s a new show coming out in the fall…

Chris August 6, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Sorry pal. You’re not the real Phil.

Dawn August 6, 2008 at 3:14 pm

The show didn’t air last night here, anyone know anything? I live in Florida and they showed reruns on the two headed girls and the severly obese. I haven’t seen anything and was wondering if this happened to anyone else.

David Silver August 6, 2008 at 3:27 pm

Chris, welcome to the fan club of fan clubs. The new show time is apparently 12:00 on Sundays. Here is a link to tlc’s site: http://tlc.discovery.com/tv-schedules/series.html?paid=2.14374.55942.35710.4

David Silver August 6, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Make that Saturday’s not Sundays at noon.

Chris August 6, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Thanks Dave. You’re a cool guy and a great dad. Your boys look happy to be with you in all your pics (on myspace). That’s awesome dude! :)

Chris August 7, 2008 at 8:52 pm

This is the official schedule form the TLC website as it stands now. These are all new shows (all pacific time), not re-runs (r.i.p. Freddy) 8/9 Saturday at 12pm, 8/12 Tuesday at 9pm, 8/13 Wednesday at 5pm, and 8/19 Tuesday at 9pm. Looks like three more new shows after that. Might want to keep an eye on TLC’s website to make sure it doesn’t change.

singlemomseeking August 8, 2008 at 7:13 am

Thanks for the updates guys! Whew.

It’s ironic that they’re sending me personal press releases to see if I want to blog about their new show, “Take Home Nanny.”
It covers MARRIED couples who have discipline problems. The first episode?

“Nanny Emma goes to visit the DiSomma- Faretras family. With three clingy daughters and a husband that is of no help, Mom is worried…”

I’m sorry, but I don’t see the connection to my readers at Single Mom Seeking.

Sheri August 16, 2008 at 10:02 pm

My heart goes out to little Paris. I can guarantee that she herself does not enjoy acting that way. She must feel so overwhelmed and insecure. Kids need consistant rules and structure to feel safe. Then throw in the fact that different men, who aren’t Daddy, are coming around, must make her (and any child) feel a little threatened and lost in the mix. I’ll bet her Mom feels she has tried everything and that’s got to be exhausting. It’s easier said then done, but she should get some help as far as parenting classes. My husband and I tried some and they were very helpful. I don’t know, maybe the dating can wait a few years. Once you blink, the kids will be off to college!

Tecora August 29, 2008 at 11:18 am

Kristin
one I think YOUR AWESOME just for participating in this blog.
I agree with the others you ARE a wonderful Mom..your kids are Blessed!

I know you have already chosen your guy but I have my fav of which one.

Just wanted to say I think your doing a great job in raising your kids..
I don’t watch reality tv but this one caught my eye and I LOVE IT!

Tecora August 29, 2008 at 11:30 am

does anyone know if there is a blog where Vanessa posts to? Tracy?

Cathy September 2, 2008 at 1:26 pm

Okay, now I feel really bad that I never responded when David contacted me through an online dating website. David, I apologize. If you read this, it really had nothing to do with you, and everything to do with me being scared. Good luck to you.

Kristin September 3, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Tecora – Thank you so much!!! Thank you for watching the show, but most especially thank you for the compliment – being a mom is the greatest role I have in life, and hearing that I might be doing alright at it really does float my boat!! :)
So… do I get to find out?? Who’s your favorite?!
-K

Tecora September 3, 2008 at 3:57 pm

Kristin
you might have read that in another blog by teclils…

it is Luke your navy man….something about his evenness (is that a word? LOL) and how he seems to calm down with you and the kids and even when his and yours were together…I really like how he is attentive to you and how he can sneak in a little touch of the arm etc in the middle of 5 screaming kids…

Tecora September 3, 2008 at 4:32 pm

singlemomseeking…I have a question for you can you shoot me an email?

Tecora September 6, 2008 at 10:01 am

omgosh Kristin your kids are so dang cute…just watched ep 8…have to run but I just wanted to say how cute your kids are

Kristin September 16, 2008 at 11:12 am

Thanks so much, Tecora – they truly light up my life & I know I’m a very lucky mom!!