Happy Father’s Day to all the single dads out there!

by singlemomseeking on June 13, 2008

Father’s Day used to be so darn sad for me. I’d wake up, open my eyes, close them again and wish the day away. But now that we live out here in in Cali, near my dad and step-dad, it’s not so bad.

What makes it all better are the single dad bloggers I’ve met through this site.

This post is for you, single dads, as well as the soon-to-be ones! I’ve even had the wondrous opportunity to meet a few of you in the flesh — both in NYC and the Bay Area. I’m one lucky chic.

So, here’s “Happy Father’s Day” to:

David Mott at Dad’s House, thanks for inspiring me to keep it real. And more. Here’s to future pondering about condoms, intimacy, booty calls….

Trey Ellis, congrats on the publication of your juicy, tell-all memoir, Bedtimes Stories: Adventures in the Land of Single-Fatherhood. I’m rooting for you and your new love in NYC!

Crazy Computer Dad, I know this year has been full of challenges for you. I’m continually impressed by how advocate for your son, no matter what.

Jorge Fitz-Gibbon, thanks for being a role model in creating a healthy, loving blended family!

Matt Logelin, a new single dad whom I’ve only just read about this morning at Glamour‘s Storked! (Slight warning: there’s a lot of f*ck in the post, and this guy will break you down. He just did it to me.)

Of course, Happy Father’s Day to the soon-to-be divorced dads, too:

Laid Off Dad, it was great to connect this year at Robert Rummel-Hudoson’s book launch party. I’ve reread your bold post about “falling down” many times.

P.S. I realize I’m posting this a bit before Father’s Day. I’m off to an all-women’s writing retreat this weekend. See you on Monday!

P.P.S. MSN.com posted my little piece about “Why I Love Dating Single Dads” in honor of all the single dads out there. Thanks for inspiring me!

Hey Mamas, send these guys a littl’ love, will you?

Dr. Leah June 13, 2008 at 1:21 pm

What a terrific bunch of dads!

I would also like to thank all the nameless (and countless) men who have gone out of their way to teach, inspire, and encourage our kids. Our kids are better for having these men in their lives, especially when their own fathers have fallen way short of expectations.

A wonderful day to all!

Legal Editor Mom June 13, 2008 at 3:33 pm

I have full respect and admiration for men who are actively involved in their children’s lives, especially those who are doing it alone. The world needs more men like you!

Every Father’s Day I send a special greeting to the men in my family who have been wonderful role models for my daughter, and also awesome fathers to their own children. Fathers like this and all of the ones mentioned above deserve to be commended and recognized!

Cyrus June 13, 2008 at 5:40 pm

As one of the many single dads out there raising his kids the best he can I want to say, “Thanks for the encouragement we get from the single mom bloggers out there.” You’re all beautiful and strong and appreciated even on Dad’s Day.

Ms. Single Mama June 14, 2008 at 8:06 am

Yes…single dads – all of you – you’re an inspiration. I love reading your blogs and knowing that there are so many dads out there who are so involved in the lives of their little ones!

Have a nice weekend Rachel!

Lori June 14, 2008 at 12:36 pm

Happy Father’s Day to all those Dad’s out there…anyone can be a Dad, but it takes a special man to be a Father.

Have a great day!!

Jim Everson June 14, 2008 at 1:51 pm

Thanks, Rachel. And all you single moms, don’t forget to do something nice for yourself this Father’s Day since you are filling the roles of both mother AND father in your child’s life. –I gave myself a gift on Mother’s Day : )

Shannon June 16, 2008 at 5:17 am

Congrats to those single Dads who are stepping up and being so influential in their kids lives!

Randy June 28, 2008 at 11:59 am

Wow, I just tagged along from the MSN site that featured your story “Why I Love Dating Single Dads”. Who would’ve thunk there are women out there that are not selfish and actually think of single fathers as attractive! I live in the DC area and have two great teenage daughters with all the drama that goes with teenagedom. Thanks for giving me a boost of faith.
;-)