I turned down national TV today

by singlemomseeking on April 11, 2008

rachel-and-m

As I explain at BabyCenter today, I almost flew to New York City last night.

The Mike and Juliet Show on Fox TV emailed me yesterday: “We are doing a segment on single moms and would love to have you on as our expert. ”

But M had come down with a virus; she was out of school with a 102 fever. The Mama Bear in me roared louder than the Adventurer. I wasn’t going. I even asked if they could send a cute TV cameraman to my place, to get a real look at a single mom who’d love to go out — but can’t. (Okay, I’m fibbing about the “cute” bit, I just asked if they might tape long-distance, but no.)

Fortunately, The Mike and Juliet Show found Morgan over at iheartsingleparents.com, and she eagerly dashed off to the airport.

Unfortunately, her plane was delayed and she didn’t make it on the show. (Hey, Morgan, let’s see if The Mike and Juliet Show might invite us back this summer, what do you say?)

I have a huge favor to ask you, single moms and dads. When you have a moment, would you please answer my poll at BabyCenter.com today?

Tell us why you’re dating.

Oh Dads, although I address that post to moms (because very few dads seem to lurk at BabyCenter!), I want your vote, too!

Thank goodness that Dr. Leah Klungness was in upstate New York — and she made it on the show. The coauthor of the The Complete Single Mother: Reassuring Answers to Your Most Challenging Concerns, urges you — single parents — to get out there and have fun.

You can watch the segment — about single moms looking for love! — here.

Photo taken during a recent healthy week by www.thayerphoto.com

Dawn April 11, 2008 at 4:21 pm

They contacted me too…but I think they liked Morgan better. I’ll have to check out her blog. I had told them that I thought you lived in NY..but she said she had talked to you already and you had moved out west. LOL

Judy April 11, 2008 at 4:56 pm

I thought this post would head down another road….
what have you given up for your child?

National television is great however I am a school teacher in a low income neighborhood special education position. After many years of teaching I was given a fully paid 4 days in Utah ( at a math conference). Not very romantic but somewhere on a plane. Anyhow, the week before my daughter was admitted into the hospital and I had to pass the trip off to another teacher.

tela April 11, 2008 at 5:08 pm

I was on the Mike and Juliet Show last August! For a segment about breastfeeding. I ended up being this sort of “plant” in the audience and they labeled me a “reluctant breastfeeder”–whatever that means. IPeople in my office still make fun of that!

They also didn’t pay for my room service. I was traveling alone with my 14 month old son, didn’t get in until late the night before, and they couldn’t pay for my dinner? Whatevs. And Mike referred to my ex as my husband, even though we were never married and separated at the time.

But it was fun though–very whirl-windy and I felt oh-so-chic and cool for traveling solo with my behbeh to NYC.

Dr. Leah April 12, 2008 at 4:10 am

What we have given up to because we are single moms? Definitely a whole other topic .

I was on the show and it’s definitely a whirl wind. The thing that struck me was how the media feels single moms are one group with few differences. Everyone is lumped together—divorced single moms, single moms by choice, “accidental” single moms—when, actually, our experiences are so different.

I’m curious. Please. Besides love and devotion to our children, what feelings or concerns or worries do ALL single moms share no matter how they became single moms?

singlemomseeking April 13, 2008 at 8:20 am

Dawn: I got back to you on your blog. Here’s to single mom bloggers!

Judy: That’s a great question. I should have thought of that one.

Tela: I read about your adventure on your blog! I considered taking M on the flight with me — but with a fever? No.

Dr. Leah: In hindsight, I don’t feel like I gave anything up. I’m not very good at making quick, big spontaneous decisions – -and I went with my gut. I’m just so glad that you made it there!

andrea frazer April 17, 2008 at 9:19 pm

Great pic. And great decision. And except for the hair and skin tone, M looks like you. The mouth especially. But of course I don’t know what Dad looks like. My point: 2 beautiful gals!