What my dad says this morning, by email

by singlemomseeking on March 30, 2008

m-feeds-grandpa“I would love to get M a bike for her birthday. Is that her dream?
Love,
DAD
P.S. Re-read your book last night.”

Note to self: I’d better get my dad a new book to read.

Any suggestions? He loves to read memoirs.

Photo: M feeding her Grandpa some birthday cake.

{ 1 trackback }

Tina Fey as Sarah Palin, and Halloween with two grandpas | Single Mom Seeking...
October 31, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Angie March 30, 2008 at 9:18 am

The Day the Voices Stopped: A Schizophrenic’s Journey from Madness to Hope – Ken Steele

My all-time favorite memoir.

The Memory Keepers Daughter – Kim Edwards

Although not a memoir, the novel is written as such. Very enjoyable book.

What an exciting present for M!

Crazy Computer Dad March 30, 2008 at 1:02 pm

I would recommend he read “A Walk in the Woods” or “The life and times of the Thunderbolt kid” both by Bill Bryson. The first tells the tale of Bill’s adventure with walking the Appalachian Trail, and the second is supposed to his autobiography/memoir of growing up in the 50′s. “A Walk in the Woods” is easily the funniest book I’ve ever read. “The life and times of the Thunderbolt kid” is in the small stack of books I intend to finish before June. I may bump it up because I can certainly use something really funny to read right now.

A Mama Here March 30, 2008 at 5:56 pm

How about another single mother book?

Our all time favorite: Operating Instructions

Hmmm???

GregPeckFan March 30, 2008 at 8:09 pm

I don’t read memoirs so much. But catching up on your recent posts and the mention of autism reminded me, I loved this one very much when I read it:

Dr. Temple Grandin

Thinking In Pictures: and Other Reports from My Life with Autism (Paperback)

singlemomseeking March 31, 2008 at 6:25 am

Angie: The Memory Keeper’s Daughter… wow, I LOVED that book. Thanks!

Andie March 31, 2008 at 8:48 am

I’ve heard great things about A Long Way Home: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier by Ishmael Beah. I’m not a bit memoir person. But I would also suggest checking out the New Yorker online as they review tons of memoirs and they all sound fascinating! Seriously!

dadshouse March 31, 2008 at 10:28 am

This isn’t exaclty a memoir, but it’s a great read: The Autobiography of Malcolm X, by Alex Haley. It’s in my GoodReads list as one of my all-time faves.

judy March 31, 2008 at 11:33 am

First You Have to Row a Little Boat by Richard Bode. My dad sent it to all of us kids after he read it.

Angie March 31, 2008 at 11:41 am

I like this post, I’m getting all sorts of ideas. I just finished – Night, Elie Wiesel. Really good memoir. Short and easy read, difficult to swallow content of the Holocaust though…

Dana March 31, 2008 at 12:16 pm

If he’s a memior reader then I know he knows about The Glass Castle. It’s such a touching story. I’m a new reader but I love your blog. I was raised by a single mom.

Legal Editor Mom March 31, 2008 at 12:50 pm

I second The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. It’s an amazing account of the author’s life being raised by troubled parents, how she views all of the trials and tribulations, and manages to still love and respect them despite all of it.

Memoirs of a Geisha was extremely popular when it first came out, although I started and stopped reading it twice before I finished it.

JessR March 31, 2008 at 1:36 pm

Hi Rachel! Saw your comment at the Debs and came by to say ‘hi’…and to suggest anything by Haven Kimmel! I just adore her. A Girl Named Zippy and She Got Up Off the Couch are both wonderful and heartwarming.

Rebs April 2, 2008 at 9:02 am

I’ve just finish The Glass Castle and add my vote for that. Along those lines, Fierce and Change Me Into Zeus’s Daughter by Barbara Robinette Moss are both very good. Fierce is written about her life as a single mom.

Memoirs of A Boy Soldier currently has some controversy surrounding the authenticity of Beah’s story, so that’s certainly worth reading.

I’ve currently got my dad on a trip of “The History of…” books. So far, we’ve covered cod and cotton. For his birthday I gave him The History of the World in six glasses: coke, wine, spirits, tea, coffee and beer. Not really memoirs, but an interesting take on history!