Hollywood, here you come?

by singlemomseeking on March 19, 2008

jewish-living1.jpgphoto-shoot-on-corner1.jpg

Storked’s post this morning at Glamour“America’s Next Top… Baby?” – could not have appeared at a more appropriate time. A few days ago, photo team showed up at our door: the unstoppable Thayer, her assistant, two stylists, and a make-up artist.

They were here to shoot for a forthcoming piece I wrote for Jewish Living, and this was a first for us. I’m used to being behind-the-scenes, at my computer with a cup of coffee. They paraded around here, very sweet and warm, for five hours. M blew me away with her cooperativeness. (Would she ever let me straighten her collar like that? No!)

But M has had already had a stint in the modeling world. Sort of. When M was three, I sent a few snapshots to a modeling agency another mother had recommended. The agency called me two days later: “We want to meet your daughter!” (M went in for an “interview,” behind closed doors with the female boss, as her Mom sat outside. What was said?)

What I didn’t know was: the agency calls you the night before about the modeling “go see.” It’s a mad scramble. I had to put work on hold and take M out of preschool, then drive her an hour+ to the shoot. Often, she was asleep by the time we got there. There were hordes of gorgeous toddlers in the lobby, waiting to try on the same outfit. It was a true test of my stress limit.

During our few months on various sets, I never met another single mom (they were all stay-at-home moms). Moreover, what I mostly heard from little M was: “I wanna go home!”

That did it.

Chrissy from Storked writes that her agent friend told her, “It’s A LOT of work oh your end, schlepping him to castings, all for $125 an hour.”The law says that your child can work only three hours at a time. (Yes, I did feel very strange getting a work permit for my three-year-old!) Still, I know parents who have paid for their kids’ college thanks to modeling.

Do tell: have you been tempted to have your kids model? Have you taken the plunge? How far would you go to put your kids in the spotlight? What if you could save up for your children’s future?

Photo shoot set up by Thayer and her team. (How do you like that Martha Stewart collar?)

Stacey Derbinshire March 19, 2008 at 9:42 am

I found your blog on google and read a few of your other posts. I just added you to my Google News Reader. Keep up the good work. Look forward to reading more from you in the future.

Stacey Derbinshire

Angie March 19, 2008 at 11:18 am

M looks BEAUTIFUL in that photograph! Amazing eyes on that kid of yours!

I have often thought my kids have potential, they have such character. But, we are WAY too busy to even think about it. And if I were to think about it, I’d lean more towards the no end of the decision. Unless we had an opportunity in our laps, of course. We make other sacrifices so we can build a college fund, I don’t feel the need to put the kids to work. Unless it was something they asked for, then I would be their rock of support…

Ms Single Mama March 19, 2008 at 7:45 pm

She is SO gorgeous…and SO smart. You are an amazing mother! When you are raising a beautiful daughter one bit of advice (this straight from my father) “just don’t let it get to their head.” : )

I’m planning on dressing Benjamin in dorky clothes on purpose in high school so his good looks don’t get the best of him … love it! Hey, at least we picked good men to breed with.

Sibylla March 19, 2008 at 8:45 pm

Your daughter’s picture is beautiful! My daughter got her first modeling job at four months old. She did print modeling up until she was three and transitioned into commercials. She just turned six and it”s been nothing but a positive experience for us. Yep, it’s hectic at times and can wreak havoc on our schedules but she’s building a nice nest egg for college and beyond and she loves meeting new people whether she’s on a set or going out on an audition.

Sibylla March 19, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Oops, almost forgot to mention, I’m a single mother as well. :)

ana.biosis March 20, 2008 at 5:32 am

Wow… she is so beautiful I am speechless.

But then I find my voice and say, I have been approached on more than one occassion, to put my son in modeling, but have always said no.

If it were something he ever asked me to do, of course I would.

But I think it is an insane industry for children to be involved in, and I want to keep my son as far away as possible.

Just a personal opinion.

Rhiannon March 21, 2008 at 6:13 am

I thought about it and then I realized it’s really not up to me. It’s her life, so I’m going to wait for her to show me who she is and who she wants to be. Then I’ll do what I can to help her get there.