Thanks for being in my lifeboat

by singlemomseeking on February 11, 2008

lifeboat.jpgI’ve been rowing upstream for weeks, working long hours and rushing around. A few days ago, I whispered “Good morning” to M to wake her up, but it wasn’t working. So, I climbed into her bunk bed to give her a string of good morning kisses. It worked.

The only problem was, as I rushed back down her ladder, I slipped. Ouch.

It looked much worse than it felt: a long red Frankenstein scratch down the middle of my forehead. (For those of you who were at Friday’s Young Adult Dinner for Singles discussion I led, did you wonder why I was wearing that huge headband across my forehead?)

This weekend, M was super cranky, and I was sure all that Hannah Montana had turned her into a sassy back-talker. I vowed to set more limits, calmly and lovingly. But I was spent. As it turns out, she wasn’t feeling well.

When my dad picked M up from school today, he called my cell. “She says that she doesn’t feel well,” he said. “She doesn’t want to go to Hip Hop.”

So, Grandpa took her home, and when I got back, her little body was burning.

Surely, you’ve had those frazzled days, too. Thank you, to all of you, for your comments. They keep me afloat.

So, how do you hold it all together and just keep rowing?

Who do you lean on? What are your resources?

Photo from Sxc.hu

{ 1 trackback }

Do you own a first date skirt? | Single Mom Seeking...
November 14, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Kimberly February 12, 2008 at 5:33 am

This too shall pass my darling! Just hold tight to the fact that better days are ahead. If you check out my blog you will see that I am also rowing on a stormy sea and I am barely clutching to my sanity. Just remember that the bad times are temporary. My daughter was not well last week and I still feel out of it coupled with the fact that I struggle to battle depression.I lean on my mom a lot for support, but sometimes she is very overprotective and clingy and while I know that I love her and at times I need her to be overprotective so that I don’t behave irrationally, it drives me nuts. Long story, but Thank God for GRANDMAS

Susan February 12, 2008 at 6:53 am

First, I hide upstairs and cry. (seriously, the closet and I became best friends when I was first separated.) Then, I compose myself and just trudge through. Be nice to yourself, Rachel. Not every day has to be perfect — or will be. Once I started forgiving myself for just “getting through” the day with the kids (or work or whatever), it got a little easier. A good chat with a friend does wonders, too! Hang in there!

A. February 12, 2008 at 7:31 am

When my daughter was a baby, a stranger once told me, “I promised myself that I would forgive myself…” I use that mantra a lot. It helps. Forgive yourself Rachel—it makes rowing upstream a lot easier. Hugs!

singlemomseeking February 12, 2008 at 7:47 am

Susan, Kimberly, and Amy… thanks for the mantras, and the reminder to forgive myself. Susan, my closet is quite small!

Diane February 12, 2008 at 8:59 am

LIke everything bad, this too will pass.
:) .

Kelly February 12, 2008 at 11:47 am

I do what you’ve done here… I blog about it. It’s a great way to vent your frustrations and even get some support (or advice where necessary) from the readers.

I hope M feels better soon. My daughter was sick this past weekend. She was supposed to altar serve in church on Sunday, said she wasn’t feeling well, but I told her she needed to fulfill her obligation and help out. As soon as we got there, she threw up all over the church carpet. Well, I guess she realy didn’t feel well. Poor thing!

ana.biosis February 12, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Hang in there. I read your blog because I think you are AMAZING. You have this amazing job, you are an established, published writer (something I always wished I could do!), you daughter, is breath-takingly beautiful.

You are doing a good job. If M is sick, my advice (as a single mom and nurse-if you can afford it):

take the day off (or two). Go buy the cartoon DVD she has been pinning for. Get some gatoraide, flavored popsicles of her choice (non-dairy), and other essentials depending on her aliment ;) like banannas, rice, applesauce, toast, soup, etc.

Go home, and make a huge palet on the floor (i’ve been guiltly of even dragging the mattress)…..and lay down with her and watch that DVD with her 52 times (you can of course change the tv when she is napping) and take some naps too – in case you go under the weather.

but most importantly R-E-L-A-X. You’ve done a superb job so far.

I am the Row-uphiller-all-time-event-everyday-athlete. I have my days of screaming, and wondering….can I be any worse at this?!?!?!? But then I look at him, and he tells me I am his friend, and everything will be ok….eventually.

Much Love!
XOXO

kb February 14, 2008 at 4:04 pm

It seems to all come at once, or so it does in my household. I have mini meltdowns and then wait for the better days to come.

Not to change the subject – but what happened to the postman???

singlemomseeking February 14, 2008 at 7:10 pm

The Postman? Oh, yes, The Postman!

Well, first, I started to get super-paranoid that he’d read the blog… I don’t think so.

Yes, I do need to do an update. Thanks for the reminder. Last time I bumped into him — at line at the post office — his kids had the flu, too.

Michelle February 17, 2008 at 12:48 am

Eeee Gads! This flu bug is rampant this year. My daughter got it first and it turned into pneumonia. Then 2 days later I got it. It’s rough enough when only she’s sick, but when it’s both of us, it’s ugly. I’m only grateful it wasn’t a stomach flu! That would have been really nasty!

These were not my most proud parenting moments during the week we were sick. I was even tempted to call the absent parent and say “here, you take care of her” A lot of friends offered to bring things over and drop it off at the door and run :) My mom was out of town but I certainly didn’t want her to get this bug anyway! It felt very isolating. Thanks Ana for the tips. We did watch A LOT of movies and napped all the time. It was hard to go back to work!! The recovery has been slowed since I got new neighbors who’s dogs bark through the night and early morning. I’m longing for a little peace and quiet!!